On this day...

Tooj

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve only ever been to three Newcastle Premier League games in my life. 

8-0 v Sheffield Wednesday in 99/00 when I was 10

5-1 v Sunderland when I was 20 

and 2-0 v Arsenal last season when I was 32. I’d like to think I am some sort of lucky charm, these would be 3 of the top 5 games of the past 25 years. 

13 hours ago, aussiemag said:

and 2-0 v Arsenal last season when I was 32. I’d like to think I am some sort of lucky charm, these would be 3 of the top 5 games of the past 25 years. 

Fair play but I doubt that Arsenal win would be in anyones top five games of the last 25 years!

16 hours ago, aussiemag said:

17 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

12 years ago:

Christ, imagine telling us that day we'd replace Rafa Benitez with Bruce :lol:

15 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I remember being desperately jealous of my uncle and his mates when they headed there and to Antwerp - I was still just a bit too young for pubs (being 12 - drinking pints in pubs was still nearly two years away ...) so couldn't go.  I was at the home game of course, watching us chuck away a comfortable 3-0 lead.  It also seemed to herald a colossal drop off in form (just checked - we won two of the next twelve league games).

For those young'uns who haven't yet experienced European football - you'll love every second of it.  Don't listen to the wankers who bang on about the UEFA Cup or the new Conference Cup thingamajig being a waste of time.  They're not - the entire point of finishing high in the league is to get that reward.  Listening to the fans of clubs like West Ham and Wolves and Southampton moaning about it as if it were beneath them ... ludicrous.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I remember being desperately jealous of my uncle and his mates when they headed there and to Antwerp - I was still just a bit too young for pubs (being 12 - drinking pints in pubs was still nearly two years away ...) so couldn't go.  I was at the home game of course, watching us chuck away a comfortable 3-0 lead.  It also seemed to herald a colossal drop off in form (just checked - we won two of the next twelve league games).

For those young'uns who haven't yet experienced European football - you'll love every second of it.  Don't listen to the wankers who bang on about the UEFA Cup or the new Conference Cup thingamajig being a waste of time.  They're not - the entire point of finishing high in the league is to get that reward.  Listening to the fans of clubs like West Ham and Wolves and Southampton moaning about it as if it were beneath them ... ludicrous.

I was only 12 funnily enough also the last time we were in Europe. Too young for aways but got to all group and knockout home games. The Anzhi and Benfica atmospheres have stuck with me tbf.

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Every time I see a Shola Ameobi penalty the more I'm convinced he's one of the best penalty takers of all time in the PL. 

Kinda see where you're coming from.

In a weird way, despite Wilson being 100x the player Shola was, I definitely had more confidence in Shola on penalties than Wilson despite Wilson not missing one for us. I think maybe Callums penalty at home to Norwich last season has stuck in my mind and made me a bit more nervous!

43 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Every time I see a Shola Ameobi penalty the more I'm convinced he's one of the best penalty takers of all time in the PL

Yet every time he took one, I still fucking convinced myself he was going to miss :lol: I agree though, took a great penalty.

On 31/10/2022 at 04:31, MrRaspberryJam said:

12 years ago:

I've been watching the celebration for the first goal - massive pile on - over and over. The players and fans are really so jubilant, it's too much really for being 1-0 up in the first half :lol: But it's so good. I guess have to remember the context of being recently promoted too. That team led by Hughton were really likeable for a while. And the feeling in the stadium that day was really quite unique. There've been better wins, but being among 50k geordies just in disbelief that we're scoring goal after goal against the mackems was something else.

5 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Bastia and Palermo

Double Dutch, the great Johnny Rep and Tim Krul (found by the then unemployed Joe Kinnear, two years before Kinenar was at the club)

Can't ask me fatha as he stopped going to games for a bit post 76-ish but why or how did it go so badly wrong in 1977-78? I know we sold Macdonald in '76 but we ended up finishing 5th that season, following season we won the first game of the season against Leeds then lost 10 games on the bounce. :lol: Like, what the fuck? Down without a solitarity whimper.

Was it because Gordon Lee fucked off to Everton in January '77 and we replaced him with a guy with next to no credibility in being in charge of a First Division club in Dinnis?

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Was before my time too mate. My Mam was definitely at the Bastia game and got the folklore about it around the centenary when all the books came out. Same with Supermac.

It all seemed like halcyon days compared to what I was experiencing and expected to experience. Seemed unbelieavable that we could have been in Europe only 13years earlier at that point. Dutch internationals at St James and stuff.  (Before I even knew how good the Dutch were in the 70s)

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Poor bloke man. He'd genuinely been great up to this point as well.

Was a legend at his previous club. When your legs go they go, weirdly almost overnight. I should know 😆

10 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Can't ask me fatha as he stopped going to games for a bit post 76-ish but why or how did it go so badly wrong in 1977-78? I know we sold Macdonald in '76 but we ended up finishing 5th that season, following season we won the first game of the season against Leeds then lost 10 games on the bounce. :lol: Like, what the fuck? Down without a solitarity whimper.

Was it because Gordon Lee fucked off to Everton in January '77 and we replaced him with a guy with next to no credibility in being in charge of a First Division club in Dinnis?

Gordon Lee was unpopular with the fans, selling Supermac and spouting off in the press about wanting a team with no superstars, although his approach was initially successful. Looking back on it, he was very much in the Rafa mould (but without the charm), all about collective team work, positioning and commitment.

The Board (rightly) got a lot of stick at that time and they showed their ineptitude by promoting Richard Dinnis, who was too close to the players, a less qualified less able version of a Chris Hughton. 

Bill McGarry came in with a hard man reputation (Graeme Souness), to keep us up and failed miserably. My mate worked in the press box at the time and he says he's never met a more unpleasant man.