On this day...

Tooj

Man Utd fluked it twenty six years ago today…

Or did they? Finally forced myself to sit through the highlights this morning and our chances were no way as clear cut as I had remembered. We just seemed to stop dead in the second half too. 

Edited by Hovagod

On 04/03/2022 at 09:32, Hovagod said:

Man Utd fluked it twenty six years ago today…

Or did they? Finally forced myself to sit through the highlights this morning and our chances were no way as clear cut as I had remembered. We just seemed to stop dead in the second half too. 

I haven't watched it back but Les missing two one on one's (iirc) and skying a shot with the goal gaping from 8yards is clear-cut to me.

More so than shanking a shot into the ground and it bobbling in like them cunts.

They got battered. Even their players....even Bruce!! concedes that

Edited by Wolfcastle

I'd love to see the stats (shots particularly) for the 0-1 loss vs. the 5-0 win the season after. I was at both and, perhaps due to acquired permanent-embitterment, sense of injustice, and plain old dummy-spitting tantrum-itis I have suffered since then, I feel like the 0-1 was a more one-sided game. Probably wasn't, but fucking hell man Les!! 

On this day 24yrs ago I met my mates in the Forth, went to the match and watched us beat Barnsley in the FA Cup quarter final.......then straight after met my wife to get the train to London to go on honeymoon. We'd got married the day before.

6 minutes ago, Ste said:

Benetiz was appointed manager, 6 years ago today and proceeded to call the players in from a day off to take charge of his first training session. 

Fucking scary to think where we had been now without him. Probably stuck in the wankership with Lee Charnley as head coach

On 08/03/2022 at 00:02, Coffee_Johnny said:

I'd love to see the stats (shots particularly) for the 0-1 loss vs. the 5-0 win the season after. I was at both and, perhaps due to acquired permanent-embitterment, sense of injustice, and plain old dummy-spitting tantrum-itis I have suffered since then, I feel like the 0-1 was a more one-sided game. Probably wasn't, but fucking hell man Les!! 

94/95 too. They hardly got out of their half in the second-half of that. 

Friday 13th March

Thirty years ago today Kevin Keegan and Terry McDermott checked out of the Gosforth Park Hotel and set off for the Lakes. They had effectively walked out on the club because the money they had been promised to sign players was not available when they asked for it. In particular he wanted to sign loanee Brian Kilcline on a permanent deal.

Open war had once again broken out in the Boardroom and as a result the mooted Rescue Package, required due to the £6million debts, had not been agreed.

With a home game against Swindon coming up the following day coach Colin Suggett persuaded them to return for the sake of the players, which they did.

Saturday 14th March

But after beating Swindon, Keegan and McDermott both set off for their respected homes and rumours were rife that they had walked out.

John Hall and some of the directors shocked the press by turning up en masse in the press room with Hall attempting miserably to pretend there was no problem. Not his best moment, listen out for the hecklers shouting through the window!

Sunday 15th March

Frantic phone calls followed the next day and the Hall’s agreed to write out a £500,000 cheque to persuade Keegan to return. Thankfully he agreed to, until the end of the season.

Edited by Toontimes

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I was at this one, first 45 was the best I’ve prob ever seen us play away from home 

was just about post this! what a little run of games that was. we were running riot.

Rich and I were in Miami for WrestleMania 28 the same time, watched this (or might have been the Swansea game) with @Kanji and @cubaricho - unbelievable couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, HUGZ said:

was just about post this! what a little run of games that was. we were running riot.

Rich and I were in Miami for WrestleMania 28 the same time, watched this (or might have been the Swansea game) with @Kanji and @cubaricho - unbelievable couple of weeks.

Pretty sure it was this one! Was a great day. 

That was a great side but imo the 2013-14 side before we sold Cabaye was better. We were 6 points off top after we stuffed Stoke on Boxing Day. Cabaye was sold and it all fell apart, arguably the start of the downward spiral to relegation in 2016.

23 hours ago, HUGZ said:

such a good memory, I still talk about that day with friends. 

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

A full decade today since Enrique in goal vs. Liverpool. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

13 years today since Dennis Wise left the club.

It's crazy how the Liverpool game can still feel like yesterday yet the Wise 'era' feels a lifetime ago when there's only three years between the two.

We’d went ages unbeaten up to that point. Weren’t far off a late European charge, were flying in Europe & the FA Cup, Shearer signed his extension, Souness was picking Robert then bang, that game happened and it all fizzled out.

O’Leary even stuck Solano on in the last few minutes just for the lolz.

Edited by Optimistic Nut