On this day...

Tooj

That is the exact type of game and score line that always seemed to happen against us when Keegan was manager. A last minute sickener like that. Seeing us do it to other teams was brilliant and surreal. Still maintain that if Bellamy had stayed fit there was no reason we could not have won the entire thing that year- think Ferguson said the same thing. 

IIRC it was properly freezing that day! I'd probably join you in saying that was my favourite away game as an NUFC fan. Slagging off Lee Bowyer (and Woodgate, who was on the bench) all game, chanting "There's only one Michael Duberry" if memory serves, then Bowyer scored straight after we did and started berating us.

Great day.

26 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

IIRC it was properly freezing that day! I'd probably join you in saying that was my favourite away game as an NUFC fan. Slagging off Lee Bowyer (and Woodgate, who was on the bench) all game, chanting "There's only one Michael Duberry" if memory serves, then Bowyer scored straight after we did and started berating us.

Great day.

Drove back in thick snowstorm 🚙 

“Hey… Lee Bowyer… Oo… Arr… I wanna know… why you’re not in jail?!” for virtually 2/3rds of the game 😂 

Couldn't believe that week. Even though we were having a good season I wouldn't have expected Keegan's teams to win three games that week including two at Arsenal and Leeds.

Snowed like mad up here that day. Can still see a mate running down a road like Forest Gump Christmas Special after the evening celebrations with a snowball for an ear-ring and no idea he was on a road.

Halcyon days.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

“Hey… Lee Bowyer… Oo… Arr… I wanna know… why you’re not in jail?!” for virtually 2/3rds of the game 😂 

We drove up from Derby after an hour or so of my mam practically begging us not to [emoji38]

We had Leeds number at the time. They'd spent all that money but even the year before when we were average and without a load of players (even Marcelino had to play) we beat them twice, played them off the park more often than not in those days. Robert and Solano had their full backs on toast, though that's not saying much with Mills.

Got to be one of my favourite goals that by Nobby.

3 hours ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

What a team we had then, such a mixture of talents. 

Great way of putting it. We played to the individual attributes of all the players and excelled as a team because of it, without any of them, a slowed down Shearer included, being a total package.

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

Viduka got some grief too for a running battle for Dabizas. In the return he got "fat Aussie b*stard" after it flared up again. Cracking player though, when fit.

12 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

We had Leeds number at the time. They'd spent all that money but even the year before when we were average and without a load of players (even Marcelino had to play) we beat them twice, played them off the park more often than not in those days. Robert and Solano had their full backs on toast, though that's not saying much with Mills

Slightly off topic, and I'm probably way off here, but Marcelino wasn't actually shit was he? I mean, IIRC, he definitely wasn't anything to shout home about, I just can't remember him being garbage or owt. It was just he was soft as shite and injury prone.

*Tin hat on*

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Slightly off topic, and I'm probably way off here, but Marcelino wasn't actually shit was he? I mean, IIRC, he definitely wasn't anything to shout home about, I just can't remember him being garbage or owt. It was just he was soft as shite and injury prone.

*Tin hat on*

Probably speaks for itself, but I can’t really remember the specifics re his actual play, beyond he looked an elegant passing type centre back. Can’t remember whether he read the game well, had good timing, was quick … just recall his poorly finger stopping play! What a legacy! 🤷‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Probably speaks for itself, but I can’t really remember the specifics re his actual play, beyond he looked an elegant passing type centre back. Can’t remember whether he read the game well, had good timing, was quick … just recall his poorly finger stopping play! What a legacy! 🤷‍♂️

He wasn’t very good on the odd occasion he did.  I remember being on holiday in Mallorca when he signed - a Spanish barman who was a Real Mallorca supporter was fulsome in his praises before a game me and my mates watched in his pub (Man Utd - got pumped 5-1 or 6-1 - can’t remember exactly).  Nice bloke but shit judge of a footballer. 

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Paully said:

Three years ago was one of the worst if not the worst display (and there were many to choose from!) under that useless bastard - lucky to get a 1-1 draw at Rochdale!

How things change!

Was in the home end that day, for some bizarre reason. 

28 minutes ago, Paully said:

Dixon should have been sone for GBH that night! No wonder Ginola reacted!

There's a point in that game when Nigel Winterburn, after already being booked brings Ginola down from behind and just starts walking off knowing he was getting a second yellow. Other Arsenal players had to stop him. I think the ref gave him the free kick. Ginolas only failing that night was not wading into Dixon until in he was physically dragged off.