Newcastle United v Chelsea - MATCH IS ON

Guest Tall Striker

RT @NUFCOfficial The club is doing everything possible to ensure tomorrow's game is on - and we're confident we can beat the weather. nufc.co.uk for updates

NEWCASTLE UNITED, WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED

Except against Bolton.

People say this every time it snows. You'd think it was some kind of unprecedented event in the UK.

Just seen the weather forecast on BBC fir this weekend. Heavy snow across Newcastle throughout tonight. With an early kick off very hard to see the match being on.

Prophet of Doom, pray could you tell me the last time a match, to be played in the middle of the day (12-4pm KO) was called off?

That's maybe because we're speaking from experience. Last season we had almost all games postponed one weekend. See http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1927520,00.html.

*cough*Bullshit*cough*  there's no Newcastle home fixture there, stop being  such a girl.

People say this every time it snows. You'd think it was some kind of unprecedented event in the UK.

Just seen the weather forecast on BBC fir this weekend. Heavy snow across Newcastle throughout tonight. With an early kick off very hard to see the match being on.

Prophet of Doom, pray could you tell me the last time a match, to be played in the middle of the day (12-4pm KO) was called off?

That's maybe because we're speaking from experience. Last season we had almost all games postponed one weekend. See http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1927520,00.html.

*cough*Bullshit*cough*  there's no Newcastle home fixture there, stop being  such a girl.

You asked for a match, if you meant a newcastle match then be more specific. Why do you think we would be more able to cope with the snow than the rest of the premier league?

And I'm not bothered by the snow, just don't trust the council/health and safety twats to let us play.

You asked for a match, if you meant a newcastle match then be more specific. Why do you think we would be more able to cope with the snow than the rest of the premier league?

And I'm not bothered by the snow, just don't trust the council/health and safety twats to let us play.

I'm sorry, I'm speaking in the Newcastle math thread about the likelihood of a Newcastle game being called off, I should have specified that I was discussing Newcastle home games. Sorry. :rolleyes:

More importantly, the fact that the game is on SKY only increases the chances of it going ahead - JonnyHall is spot on. Council and club will be up at 7am clearing paths and roads, only a freak blizzard at 12pm would put the game seriously at risk.

People have mentioned the Charlton game being called off at the last minute, pitch was playable but the freezing weather at night was posing the H&S risk around SJP. It's to our advantage that the game is KO 1.30pm.

I'm sorry, I'm speaking in the Newcastle math thread about the likelihood of a Newcastle game being called off, I should have specified that I was discussing Newcastle home games. Sorry. :rolleyes:

More importantly, the fact that the game is on SKY only increases the chances of it going ahead - JonnyHall is spot on. Council and club will be up at 7am clearing paths and roads, only a freak blizzard at 12pm would put the game seriously at risk.

People have mentioned the Charlton game being called off at the last minute, pitch was playable but the freezing weather at night was posing the H&S risk around SJP. It's to our advantage that the game is KO 1.30pm.

Well my point was that even Premier League games can still get called off. But whatever, I agree we must be doing all we can to get it on, bribe as many council officials as we can to get all their men around SJP!

Wasn't the Charlton game called off because there was ahuge snowfall at around 6pm and the gritters couldn't get out to clear the roads as they were already jammed? It was then thought that the roads would be death machines by 10pm?

I can't see why the game would be called off at 1:30, the roads will be clear first thing and pavements from the station gritted to stp people not shopping in town this close to Christmas. add in the Sky influence and it would take an apocolypic fall of snow to get it called off.

Just hope we get an orange ball

There will never be a better chance to beat this Chelsea side than tomorrow. Ashley should personally be shoveling snow at 7AM.

Theres no chance he'll be getting his hands dirty, but his minions will be flying african orphans in overnight to shovel for 5p a go. Gloves and hats will not be provided.

i believe the game will go ahead if the club want it to and i think they will as it gets bartons last suspended game out the way before west brom and also a chance to play chelsea at possibly the lowest they'll be this season.

i believe the game will go ahead if the club want it to and i think they will as it gets bartons last suspended game out the way before west brom and also a chance to play chelsea at possibly the lowest they'll be this season.

Didn't think about that. Good point.

Doubt it will have much influence on whether the game goes ahead or not like.

Guest Tall Striker

Wasn't the Charlton game called off because there was ahuge snowfall at around 6pm and the gritters couldn't get out to clear the roads as they were already jammed? It was then thought that the roads would be death machines by 10pm?

I can't see why the game would be called off at 1:30, the roads will be clear first thing and pavements from the station gritted to stp people not shopping in town this close to Christmas. add in the Sky influence and it would take an apocolypic fall of snow to get it called off.

Just hope we get an orange ball

Orange/Yellow ball is mandatory after the clock change to GMT IIRC.

Also, we played Southampton on Sky in about 99/00 that was called off because of snow. Think we drew 1-1 in the rearranged game with Kevin Gallagher scoring a nice lob for us.