Newcastle United v Chelsea - MATCH IS ON

Guest Tall Striker

I'm not poking fun. I'm just seriously amazed by how you year after year tend to never learn anything.

You seem to be missing the fundamental point here.

As far as I can read only 91-93, 97-00, 06-08 were winters without any to very little snowfall in the UK. (Less than five inches)

It's very easy for Kaizero (from a country which is used to getting shitloads of snow) to sit there and laugh at England for not being able to cope with this situation.

This isn't a normal November for us man. It'd cost a fortune to constantly be prepared for this amount of snow.

It wouldn't, though. That's what I'm saying. It really wouldn't. It's surprisingly inexpensive to be prepared contra not being prepared. Basically just adding a task to already exisiting jobs and maintaining a decent enough stock of grinders would see the cost of maintaining said grinders be less expensive than the cost of hell breaking loose every time it snows more than five centimetres.

But that's the point, we don't normally get more than 5cm of snow.

This our worst November for snow/bad weather since 1993, why be constantly prepared for something that happens once every 20 years? Inexpensive or not, it's pointless spending. 

Because anyone with any idea of the weather in this country would be aware that the coldest period would most likely be during winter.

which is normally january and february.

hold on, it's snowed for the past few days and every premiership game so far has played - sounds like dealing with it to me. fuck loads of bollocks spouted in here with little basis so far. as for hell breaking loose or the country coming to a stop - what bollocks - ive been out and about and its been like any other couple of days for me.

the game tomorrow is still in balance cos its going to snow right up to kick off and then the freezing fog is forecast to set in - really bad conditions wherever you are. i'm sure the game will be playable but it's a difficult call to make when you are responsible for people getting into accidents and so on.

generally this sort of weather happens once every few years - for november more like once every couple of decades  - the uk is generally not a particularly cold nation and has little to no extreme weather, so people just arent used to the conditions. pointless saying people in buffalo, new york or some place no one has ever heard of in norway can deal with it - they get multiple feet of snow for months every year, but put that snow in, i dunno, los angeles, and the city would come to a stop. nowt to do with "manning up" and dealing with it - just that people in different parts of the world are accustomed and acclimatised to different types of weather.

there's also the matter that a nation like the UK can easily reschedule events - whereas norway can't do that as easily - they have no choice but to exist with the shit weather - we have the luxury of choosing. i mean norway even holds the entire fucking season in different months to the uefa calendar cos winter is so bad there! they can't as easily postpone because for all they know the weather at the replayed fixture could be even worse. honestly - a postponed game in almost all cases COULD be played - it's just the authorities weigh up the risk of causing accidents and deaths and so on against the difficulties of rescheduling - it's not as clear cut as some of the muppets in this thread would have you believe.

The population density of the most populous area in Norway (the Metropolitan Oslo area) is 159.8 people per square km. The average population density of Newcastle, North Tyneside and South Tyneside is 2387 people per square km.

The average population density of the UK is 255 people per square km. The average population density of Norway is 13 people per square km.

Not saying we're particularly good at it but it must be a lot easier to prepare for extreme weather when only one man and his dog lives there.

It's not the point. I'm not comparing England to Norway as it's an unfair comparison. I'm saying England aren't doing anything right when it's rather obvious how to do it if you look to the countries that have experience. Which is what you apparently did last year when your government sent a delegation out here to learn about how to be prepared for snow, but I don't think you've learnt anything. 

I'm not saying you need to be like Norway. I'm just saying anything is better than what is currently going on.

Which is?

Low budgets and in general a low focus from the government on the possibility of snowy conditions taking place, which when they do causes possible losses far exceeding the cost of increasing snow preparation budgets.

hold on, it's snowed for the past few days and every premiership game so far has played - sounds like dealing with it to me. fuck loads of bollocks spouted in here with little basis so far. as for hell breaking loose or the country coming to a stop - what bollocks - ive been out and about and its been like any other couple of days for me.

Most of the country haven't had much snow though have they? The north east has been one of the worst affected places.

The population density of the most populous area in Norway (the Metropolitan Oslo area) is 159.8 people per square km. The average population density of Newcastle, North Tyneside and South Tyneside is 2387 people per square km.

The average population density of the UK is 255 people per square km. The average population density of Norway is 13 people per square km.

Not saying we're particularly good at it but it must be a lot easier to prepare for extreme weather when only one man and his dog lives there.

It's not the point. I'm not comparing England to Norway as it's an unfair comparison. I'm saying England aren't doing anything right when it's rather obvious how to do it if you look to the countries that have experience. Which is what you apparently did last year when your government sent a delegation out here to learn about how to be prepared for snow, but I don't think you've learnt anything. 

I'm not saying you need to be like Norway. I'm just saying anything is better than what is currently going on.

Which is?

Low budgets and in general a low focus from the government on the possibility of snowy conditions taking place, which when they do causes possible losses far exceeding the cost of increasing snow preparation budgets.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,72595.msg2635825.html#msg2635825

the game tomorrow is still in balance cos its going to snow right up to kick off and then the freezing fog is forecast to set in - really bad conditions wherever you are. i'm sure the game will be playable but it's a difficult call to make when you are responsible for people getting into accidents and so on.

generally this sort of weather happens once every few years - for november more like once every couple of decades  - the uk is generally not a particularly cold nation and has little to no extreme weather, so people just arent used to the conditions. pointless saying people in buffalo, new york or some place no one has ever heard of in norway can deal with it - they get multiple feet of snow for months every year, but put that snow in, i dunno, los angeles, and the city would come to a stop. nowt to do with "manning up" and dealing with it - just that people in different parts of the world are accustomed and acclimatised to different types of weather.

there's also the matter that a nation like the UK can easily reschedule events - whereas norway can't do that as easily - they have no choice but to exist with the shit weather - we have the luxury of choosing. i mean norway even holds the entire fucking season in different months to the uefa calendar cos winter is so bad there! they can't as easily postpone because for all they know the weather at the replayed fixture could be even worse. honestly - a postponed game in almost all cases COULD be postponed - it's just the authorities weigh up the risk of causing accidents and deaths and so on against the difficulties of rescheduling - it's not as clear cut as some of the muppets in this thread would have you believe.

:clap:

there's also the matter that a nation like the UK can easily reschedule events - whereas norway can't do that as easily - they have no choice but to exist with the shit weather - we have the luxury of choosing. i mean norway even holds the entire fucking season in different months to the uefa calendar cos winter is so bad there! they can't as easily postpone because for all they know the weather at the replayed fixture could be even worse. honestly - a postponed game in almost all cases COULD be postponed - it's just the authorities weigh up the risk of causing accidents and deaths and so on against the difficulties of rescheduling - it's not as clear cut as some of the muppets in this thread would have you believe.

Once again, I'm not comparing anything to Norway or saying England should be able to deal with it because Norway is able to deal with it. I'm saying England should be able to deal with it better than they currently are. You're not a snowy country, you never will be. But this doesn't change the fact that you could deal with the times you do get snow a lot better and be more cost effective.

It's very easy for Kaizero (from a country which is used to getting shitloads of snow) to sit there and laugh at England for not being able to cope with this situation.

This isn't a normal November for us man. It'd cost a fortune to constantly be prepared for this amount of snow.

It wouldn't, though. That's what I'm saying. It really wouldn't. It's surprisingly inexpensive to be prepared contra not being prepared. Basically just adding a task to already exisiting jobs and maintaining a decent enough stock of grinders would see the cost of maintaining said grinders be less expensive than the cost of hell breaking loose every time it snows more than five centimetres.

Got a link with those figures?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/4436257/Snow-Britain-disruption-could-cost-UK-economy-3bn.html

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/focus/cumbria-s-gritters-on-standby-to-combat-winter-weather-problems-1.782874?referrerPath=features

"Cumbria Highways’ winter maintenance budget for 2010/11 is £4.179m,"

The Federation of Small Businesses said that it expects the economy to lose out on £1.2bn both on Monday and Tuesday, with smaller losses over the rest of the week as the country experiences the biggest snow storm in almost 20 years.

Last year’s brutal winter – the harshest for 30 years in Cumbria and much of the UK – has raised fears of a repeat performance, and put the spotlight on the county’s response.

Not sure how you can compare those figures btw.

I'm with Norway 100% on this one. We live in a nanny state and the powers that be are being complete and utter pansies about this.

Totally agree, but to an extent people have a responsibility , e.g Winter Tyres on cars.

Have made this point already today. It was my choice to drive down the A1 today from Edinburgh when it was the old 'old make journey if completely necessary' brollocks and tomorrow if the pitch is playable it should be my choice if i want to go to the game. Not someone telling me i shouldn't go out. If you don't want to go out don't but don't speak for me in saying its unsafe.

The Federation of Small Businesses said that it expects the economy to lose out on £1.2bn both on Monday and Tuesday, with smaller losses over the rest of the week as the country experiences the biggest snow storm in almost 20 years.

Last year’s brutal winter – the harshest for 30 years in Cumbria and much of the UK – has raised fears of a repeat performance, and put the spotlight on the county’s response.

It does not change the fact that you'd still be likely to save more on budgeting larger for better snow preparation contra potential losses.

plenty of snow here in scotland and they managed fine. f***, they didnt even have any referees and still managed to hold the SPL matches - have that norway!  :snod:

where abouts ? all the weather maps had the north eat of england and far north of scotland worst hit. saw pics of folk going to the hamilton game and thetre was a light dusting.

have to say the reaction of populace isn't one of giving in as the town was packed as ever, the pubs more so.

This is the shittest pre-match discussion ever :lol: ;)

I dunno why, but I just fancy Kluivert to score tomorrow.

Wahey! I'm talking to you.

I am growing increasingly confident about Carroll being too much for their defence to handle, especially with Terry out, Campbell and Taylor a nuisance on set plays, and the weather condit-... shit!

I am growing increasingly confident about Carroll being too much for their defence to handle, especially with Terry out, Campbell and Taylor a nuisance on set plays, and the weather condit-... shit!

;D

We can't escape the weather, can we? Tiote and Carroll will rough 'em up.

I am growing increasingly confident about Carroll being too much for their defence to handle, especially with Terry out, Campbell and Taylor a nuisance on set plays, and the weather condit-... s***!

isn't that a tad worrying though ?

play to carroll and set plays.