Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

According to the World Football Phone in, "Cutter" is actually a lot closer to the actual translation than "Kah-tar"

apparently it is something like Kut-ar. Almost like saying Cutter, but a quicker and lighter t, plus a soft ar at the end.

2 votes  :celb:

Loved the American newscaster announcing "Cutter" will host WC 2022.

That's how every newscaster says it over here. A week ago a friend and I spent an hour on the internet trying to find out how it was pronounced, we still don't really know. Have an idea, but we can't actually say it because it's pretty much untranslatable.

Qa as in 'cap' without the p then tar as in 'target'

That's how I've always said it but apparently it's wrong.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I hope we are not going to get the usual media cry that we missed out because the rest of the world is corrupt or no one likes us etc.

It will sound like sour grapes and makes us look like a bunch of whingers if we go down that road.

Britain won the bid for the Olympics, the rugby world cup is coming here in 2015 and we get major football matches and big events staged here in every thing from motor racing to golf.

There are 200 countries or so in the rest of the world, we get our share of the big tournaments.

We are a relatively small country and so we can't expect to get everything.

I hope we are not going to get the usual media cry that we missed out because the rest of the world is corrupt or no one likes us etc.

It will sound like sour grapes and makes us look like a bunch of whingers if we go down that road.

Britain won the bid for the Olympics, the rugby world cup is coming here in 2015 and we get major football matches and big events staged here in every thing from motor racing to golf.

There are 200 countries or so in the rest of the world, we get our share of the big tournaments.

Hope the media go all out and unearth the extent of the corruption tbh.

My Welsh friend;

"Still, at least it means Wales are in with a chance of hosting one in the future, we're twice the size and have twice the population of Qatar!

Our bid could be "We're bigger than the last lot, we sell beer and your eyeballs won't melt when you go outside. Bring an umbrella".

I'm just off to start the Wales 2026 campaign. "

:lol:

i agree with this. however it wasnt just us that missed out, other countries with better, more secure bids by far lost out to the two more glamorous or riskier or eye catching or corrupt bids.

bang on - we knew the rules and who was voting when we went in for it

This is the one 80% of the country really want though imo. I couldn't give the slightest of fucks about any you've mentioned there and neither could most of the people I know

Sorry lad, but in my experience FIFA have shafted England in any way that they can from the first World Cup I took an interest in up until the last one.  Plus two votes - fuck off.

It's interesting that you use Motor Sport as an example, as for a good number of years now Bernie Ecclestone has been threatening to drop the British GP from the while buttering up the oil-rich sheiks to have thier own full scale Scalextric to play with.

Just to follow on from Doug's very good post. Sending the Prime Minister, the Prince and Beckham did reek of desperation and was quite over the top really.

Utter rubbish.

Nope.

So... we shouldn't have sent such key figures? :facepalm:

The Prince and the Prime Minister took away from the football feel. Just felt a bit "glitz and glam" with little substance. Do they really care much for football? Really? That Man City worker was the most captivating bit. Beckham made a lot of sense too I guess because he's had a great career all over the world really, and has a lot of pull.

It won us the Olympics!

Oh well. Who knows. Just seemd a bit much. It's clear FIFA's emphasis was moving towards giving it to places where they felt that the money would aid some sort of development and improvement of infrastructure etc. England should have found more of an angle such as this to play up. People always go on about how much grass roots football is struggling over here afterall. I don't know ... should have played that up more perhaps? It's unfortunate.

ummm did you actually watch the presentation or not? half of england's bid was about this "football united" fund which would match fifa's investment in grassroots football around the world. it was the most focused on grassroots worldwide development out of all the bids. furthermore, the bid was actually headed by some manc guy no one had heard of who works in youth development in manchester.

you think Qatar's glizty bid is about grassroots football? or russia with all their brand new stadiums. bollocks are they - both were more about headline grabbing and glamorous aspects than any low level football development.

I watched the bid. Do you honestly believe The football powers in this country would give the scrapings off the bottom of their shoes to overseas football development. Open your eyes to the reality of English football. We have the most lopsided distribution of wealth in the sport it is possible to have. Anyone with experience of grass roots football will tell you that their only contact with officialdom is when they are being screwed for money by County FAs or councils, yet we are the wealthiest football nation going. It is all squirrelled away into the arse pockets of the elite and their cronies at the top of the games pyramid. Please dont believe the bullshit rhetoric given in a half hour presentation by people who probably wont even be there when they have to deliver, anyone can promise the world when it is 8 years off and there is no commitment or money up front.

me too, there is noway it's not corrupt when other countries were in better positions, even having arguement that creating a new set of football followers. It's obviouse it's corrupt and the arguement of "We are going to take football to new countries" doesn't hold up.

I hope this brings FIFA crashing down.

Looking at it from a positive light, they have twelve years and infinite money left over to build whatever the hell they want. Who cares if they don't have stuff right now, they could rebuild the entire country from the ground up if they wanted to.

Heck, they could just buy off an entire town in Brazil right now and give all of the kids Qatari passports so they could play for them in 2022

yeah, with the same kind of indentured servants (ie slaves) they use in Dubai. human rights disaster.

as for the 2nd point, they probably will be doing something like that - which is not a positive - in fact it's a scandalous negative. imagine they'll be looking for young kids in africa, south america right now and paying their parents to ship them over aged 10/12 which is rather unscrupulous to say the least.

I really wasn't trying to imply that these were actual positives :lol:

Just to follow on from Doug's very good post. Sending the Prime Minister, the Prince and Beckham did reek of desperation and was quite over the top really.

Utter rubbish.

Nope.

So... we shouldn't have sent such key figures? :facepalm:

The Prince and the Prime Minister took away from the football feel. Just felt a bit "glitz and glam" with little substance. Do they really care much for football? Really? That Man City worker was the most captivating bit. Beckham made a lot of sense too I guess because he's had a great career all over the world really, and has a lot of pull.

It won us the Olympics!

Oh well. Who knows. Just seemd a bit much. It's clear FIFA's emphasis was moving towards giving it to places where they felt that the money would aid some sort of development and improvement of infrastructure etc. England should have found more of an angle such as this to play up. People always go on about how much grass roots football is struggling over here afterall. I don't know ... should have played that up more perhaps? It's unfortunate.

ummm did you actually watch the presentation or not? half of england's bid was about this "football united" fund which would match fifa's investment in grassroots football around the world. it was the most focused on grassroots worldwide development out of all the bids. furthermore, the bid was actually headed by some manc guy no one had heard of who works in youth development in manchester.

you think Qatar's glizty bid is about grassroots football? or russia with all their brand new stadiums. bollocks are they - both were more about headline grabbing and glamorous aspects than any low level football development.

I watched the bid. Do you honestly believe The football powers in this country would give the scrapings off the bottom of their shoes to overseas football development. Open your eyes to the reality of English football. We have the most lopsided distribution of wealth in the sport it is possible to have. Anyone with experience of grass roots football will tell you that their only contact with officialdom is when they are being screwed for money by County FAs or councils, yet we are the wealthiest football nation going. It is all squirrelled away into the arse pockets of the elite and their cronies at the top of the games pyramid. Please dont believe the bullshit rhetoric given in a half hour presentation by people who probably wont even be there when they have to deliver, anyone can promise the world when it is 8 years off and there is no commitment or money up front.

to answer your question yes i do think the English bid would gather the money to invest in global grassroots football as they promised.

This, for me.