Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm backing Iceland, Peru and Tunisia. Wouldn't mind Sweden doing alright either. Denmark needs to burn, though.

Denmark, Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Spain, Uruguay, Belgium, Russia and Columbia can all go f*** themselves.

The girls are compelling. Also, I accept Kaiz's well-formed arguments on Peru and Tunisia, although not Denmark, because as I stated before, Eriksen.

1. England, 2. Australia, 3. Iceland, 4. Korea (because Son, Oldtype, SE Asia), 5. Japan, 6. Denmark (because Eriksen), 7. Panama (underdogs), 8. Costa Rica, 9. Croatia (because Modric), 10. Mexico (because chance of great party in local restaurant). 11. Tunisia (because Star Wars), 12. Morocco, 13. Egypt (quite like North African teams), 14. Iran, 15. Peru (down because they knocked out New Zealand in cuntish fashion), 16. Belgium (because Spurs players), 17. Poland, 18. Colombia (because least unlikeable of S America), 19. Germany (because 7-1, despite Germany), 20. Senegal, 21. Sweden (because girls), 22. Serbia, 23. Switzerland 24. Nigeria, 25. Russia (because hosts, despite best national anthem), 26. Argentina (higher because Poch and Lamela), 27. Uruguay (lower because Suarez), 28. France, 29. Spain, 30. Brazil, 31. Saudi Arabia (because politics), 32. Portugal.

I'm doing a Flip on it and just supporting the team of my favourite player. Vamos, vamos Argentina

Wait what? How is that doing a Flip? Or are you referring to club football?

Extremely happy.

Brazil v Costa Rica

Germany v Mexico

Messi v Nigeria

Cristiano v Morocco

The tickets I got. The last two games suck, but the fact I'll get to watch those two in probably their last WC is a dream.

Class that. You reckon young Malcom has any chance of getting in your squad? Seems to be on fire and scored an outrageous goal tonight.

I think it'll be difficult. But who knows, depends on if he keep doing well until the selection.

Guest Howaythetoon

That’s not a bad draw for England. I see the media are already proclaiming it an easy group mind, typical of them.

found it: wc 2014

Newcastle United (5)

Tim Krul (Holland), Cheick Tiote (Ivory Coast), Mathieu Debuchy, Moussa Sissoko (all France), Shola Ameobi (Nigeria)

Where did you get this from? Want to check our numbers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10872269/World-Cup-2014-squads-in-numbers-Premier-League-talent-to-dominate-on-Brazilian-stage.html

I'm doing a Flip on it and just supporting the team of my favourite player. Vamos, vamos Argentina

Extremely happy.

Brazil v Costa Rica

Germany v Mexico

Messi v Nigeria

Cristiano v Morocco

The tickets I got. The last two games suck, but the fact I'll get to watch those two in probably their last WC is a dream.

Class that. You reckon young Malcom has any chance of getting in your squad? Seems to be on fire and scored an outrageous goal tonight.

I think it'll be difficult. But who knows, depends on if he keep doing well until the selection.

Aye, like you with Neymar.  Wasn't meant as an insult

found it: wc 2014

Newcastle United (5)

Tim Krul (Holland), Cheick Tiote (Ivory Coast), Mathieu Debuchy, Moussa Sissoko (all France), Shola Ameobi (Nigeria)

Where did you get this from? Want to check our numbers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10872269/World-Cup-2014-squads-in-numbers-Premier-League-talent-to-dominate-on-Brazilian-stage.html

Cheers. Although weirdly that doesn’t include England players.

Extremely happy.

Brazil v Costa Rica

Germany v Mexico

Messi v Nigeria

Cristiano v Morocco

Thought you were talking about national team football. Was going to tell you its not because of neymar I support  Brazil :lol:

Extremely happy.

Brazil v Costa Rica

Germany v Mexico

Messi v Nigeria

Cristiano v Morocco

Thought you were talking about national team football. Was going to tell you its not because of neymar I support  Brazil :lol:

Aye its obviously because Sweden aren't as good ;)

Hi there

Decided to offer some help for those who will travel to Russia for the big event, and just generally share any information, historical background, etc regarding the hosting cities.

New user, but a relatively regular reader since 2012.

I will be able to attend Argentina-Croatia, Colombia-Poland, Colombia-Senegal and Spain-Iran this summer, chuffed to bits, basically a whole fun-filled June awaits, cannae wait. I specifically picked the three cities in question (Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod and Samara) since business and leisure travel took me there plenty of times in the past, and as any sane Moscow native will tell you - it's better to evacuate the city for at least a month in the summer anyway :)

Kazan is arguably the "third capital" of Russia as of today, although not everyone agrees with it. My first visit was in 2005 and I honestly will struggle to remember how many times this gem of a Volga region city took me back. Attended the Dynamo Moscow away match a few weeks back, had an absolute blast, as usual. The city is adorably referred to as "predominantly Muslim" by some of the Western guides that I have bumped into, which kind of creates a whole bunch of stereotypes, some not exactly friendly and nice. The sheer international nature of the city and the region is such that aside from a few very nice new Mosques and perhaps an occasional conservatively-dressed female, you will also see a ton of Orthodox Churches and just about any form of entertainment that you would expect to locate in a modern, spawning metropolis. The local Kremlin is unique since the city's main Mosque and Orthodox Church are located literally next door inside it and to make matters worse for anyone with a stereotype-infested brain - the biggest Sinangogue and Catholic Church are also literally a short walk away, much to the surprise of a certain Mrs. Clinton during her visit a decade ago :lol:). The city grows all the time, both in terms of population and actual territory, I remember how back in 2005 some locals laughed at the sheer amount of projected subway stations the then-mayor planned to build. Well, a few years passed and they can now sometimes even compete with Moscow in the traffic race, which is some progress, so nobody laughs about the subway anymore. The stadium is terrific, been there three times (two draws and a horrible 0-4 thrashing in our worst-ever season), Rubin Kazan played against Liverpool there. This is a hockey-mad city, local outfit Ak Bars are one of the best clubs in the KHL, and even the basketball team Unics are pissing all over Rubin attendance-wise. This has to do with quiete a few overhauls at Rubin and a couple of soap-opera type sagas regarding murky transfer dealings and poor, turgid football. Accommodation is still available, quite a few nice hotels (including the world-renowned chains). Hostels, apartments also freely available. The weather will be gorgeous, perhaps even roasting hot at times, but then again this is true for the entire region. Much colder and windier than Moscow in the winter, literally sun-drenched in the summer. There is a lovely park area literally almost in the city center where it is legal to tailgate and barbeque and you have a fantastic view of the riverside.

Nizhny Novgorod is a city, which in the immortal words of Alexander Pushkin can be described as a place where one might sense the spirit of the land. A hugely important educational and industrial city during the Soviet times (was named Gorky after one of the most prominent writers of the 20th century) it endured a horrific crisis after the dissolution of the USSR. My all time favorite movie Zhmurki is a brilliant, but honestly brutal depiction of the typical 90s crime-infested city where apathy and greed took over. Times move on, but due to a mixture of poor management and slower administrative decisions, they are not quite up to the standards of Kazan, Sochi, Novosibirsk and Yekaterinburg. Still, very much an important city with plenty of things going for it. And absolutely gorgeous during the summer. The local Kremlin has to be visited, a genuine must-see. And if you're a bit of a party animal - this is the place for you. Historically, one those hip and subculture-filled cities. Tons of music shows, concerts and things of that nature. A very cool and comfy train ride away from Moscow, I can bet anyone that quite a few people will lose track of time at one of many, many drinking establishments here. I would categorically recommend sampling the local favorite - nastoika. Absolute treat. The stadium is located at the tip, where Oka and Volga meet, but their football team are a joke, bumbling away in our equivalent of the Championship. Very much a hockey town, local club Torpedo are a proper historic outfit. And there are two outlets that claim to sell the best shawarma anywhere in the land. Not without a certain amount of justification, may I add.

Samara is not only famous among our football fans for its At The Bottom beer bar located literally by the boat station at the local brewery, but also as one of the space exploration capitals of the world. The usual, quite ugly to remember, crisis following the fall of the Soviet Union left a mark, but the recent developments brought some life back into this city. Blessed with a stunning riverside (if you visit - do take a boat trip to the Zhiguli mountains) and known for some of the most beautiful women (even by our more than lofty standards) it is literally brimming with sun and heat from May up until mid-September. They redeveloped parts of the city center, finally, but some of the things the brave new governor and mayor did not manage to rebuild and/or replace will be carefully covered with some sexy signs and posters, which already made a few people chuckle in these here parts. Insert your own joke about provincial corruption. Not as much of a party town as the two above, but it is a genuine football-loving city. Local side Krylya Sovetov are fighting for promotion to the top division, and have quite an interesting and illustrious history. Back in the 2000s, when they had a few future Russian internationals and a certain Matthew Booth of South Africa fame, played in the UEFA Cup and went to the Russian Cup final, they actually had the highest attendance of any club in Eastern Europe. The old and rugged Metalurg stadium will be replaced with a new one this spring. Interestingly enough, the new central train station is affectionate known as The Tolstoy Member (yes, in THAT sense), due to its shape and location on Tolstoy street. The city is, as mentioned before, quite famous for its lager production and nothing beats laying on the river each, a huge bottle of draft lager in one hand, a bowl of fresh crawfish in the other.

I have never visited Saransk, Sochi and Kaliningrad, but if anyone here requires any information regarding Rostov-on-Don, Volgograd or Yekaterinburg, please fell free to ask. Moscow and St Petersburg are so huge and vast, that it may require a separate topic for each in the tourist section of the forum, if such exists.

Anyhow, I would be more than willing to answer any questions regarding the tournament, so there.

On a sidenote, what are the general expectations of the England fans following the draw?

Hi there

Decided to offer some help for those who will travel to Russia for the big event, and just generally share any information, historical background, etc regarding the hosting cities.

New user, but a relatively regular reader since 2012.

I will be able to attend Argentina-Croatia, Colombia-Poland, Colombia-Senegal and Spain-Iran this summer, chuffed to bits, basically a whole fun-filled June awaits, cannae wait. I specifically picked the three cities in question (Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod and Samara) since business and leisure travel took me there plenty of times in the past, and as any sane Moscow native will tell you - it's better to evacuate the city for at least a month in the summer anyway :)

Kazan is arguably the "third capital" of Russia as of today, although not everyone agrees with it. My first visit was in 2005 and I honestly will struggle to remember how many times this gem of a Volga region city took me back. Attended the Dynamo Moscow away match a few weeks back, had an absolute blast, as usual. The city is adorably referred to as "predominantly Muslim" by some of the Western guides that I have bumped into, which kind of creates a whole bunch of stereotypes, some not exactly friendly and nice. The sheer international nature of the city and the region is such that aside from a few very nice new Mosques and perhaps an occasional conservatively-dressed female, you will also see a ton of Orthodox Churches and just about any form of entertainment that you would expect to locate in a modern, spawning metropolis. The local Kremlin is unique since the city's main Mosque and Orthodox Church are located literally next door inside it and to make matters worse for anyone with a stereotype-infested brain - the biggest Sinangogue and Catholic Church are also literally a short walk away, much to the surprise of a certain Mrs. Clinton during her visit a decade ago :lol:). The city grows all the time, both in terms of population and actual territory, I remember how back in 2005 some locals laughed at the sheer amount of projected subway stations the then-mayor planned to build. Well, a few years passed and they can now sometimes even compete with Moscow in the traffic race, which is some progress, so nobody laughs about the subway anymore. The stadium is terrific, been there three times (two draws and a horrible 0-4 thrashing in our worst-ever season), Rubin Kazan played against Liverpool there. This is a hockey-mad city, local outfit Ak Bars are one of the best clubs in the KHL, and even the basketball team Unics are pissing all over Rubin attendance-wise. This has to do with quiete a few overhauls at Rubin and a couple of soap-opera type sagas regarding murky transfer dealings and poor, turgid football. Accommodation is still available, quite a few nice hotels (including the world-renowned chains). Hostels, apartments also freely available. The weather will be gorgeous, perhaps even roasting hot at times, but then again this is true for the entire region. Much colder and windier than Moscow in the winter, literally sun-drenched in the summer. There is a lovely park area literally almost in the city center where it is legal to tailgate and barbeque and you have a fantastic view of the riverside.

Nizhny Novgorod is a city, which in the immortal words of Alexander Pushkin can be described as a place where one might sense the spirit of the land. A hugely important educational and industrial city during the Soviet times (was named Gorky after one of the most prominent writers of the 20th century) it endured a horrific crisis after the dissolution of the USSR. My all time favorite movie Zhmurki is a brilliant, but honestly brutal depiction of the typical 90s crime-infested city where apathy and greed took over. Times move on, but due to a mixture of poor management and slower administrative decisions, they are not quite up to the standards of Kazan, Sochi, Novosibirsk and Yekaterinburg. Still, very much an important city with plenty of things going for it. And absolutely gorgeous during the summer. The local Kremlin has to be visited, a genuine must-see. And if you're a bit of a party animal - this is the place for you. Historically, one those hip and subculture-filled cities. Tons of music shows, concerts and things of that nature. A very cool and comfy train ride away from Moscow, I can bet anyone that quite a few people will lose track of time at one of many, many drinking establishments here. I would categorically recommend sampling the local favorite - nastoika. Absolute treat. The stadium is located at the tip, where Oka and Volga meet, but their football team are a joke, bumbling away in our equivalent of the Championship. Very much a hockey town, local club Torpedo are a proper historic outfit. And there are two outlets that claim to sell the best shawarma anywhere in the land. Not without a certain amount of justification, may I add.

Samara is not only famous among our football fans for its At The Bottom beer bar located literally by the boat station at the local brewery, but also as one of the space exploration capitals of the world. The usual, quite ugly to remember, crisis following the fall of the Soviet Union left a mark, but the recent developments brought some life back into this city. Blessed with a stunning riverside (if you visit - do take a boat trip to the Zhiguli mountains) and known for some of the most beautiful women (even by our more than lofty standards) it is literally brimming with sun and heat from May up until mid-September. They redeveloped parts of the city center, finally, but some of the things the brave new governor and mayor did not manage to rebuild and/or replace will be carefully covered with some sexy signs and posters, which already made a few people chuckle in these here parts. Insert your own joke about provincial corruption. Not as much of a party town as the two above, but it is a genuine football-loving city. Local side Krylya Sovetov are fighting for promotion to the top division, and have quite an interesting and illustrious history. Back in the 2000s, when they had a few future Russian internationals and a certain Matthew Booth of South Africa fame, played in the UEFA Cup and went to the Russian Cup final, they actually had the highest attendance of any club in Eastern Europe. The old and rugged Metalurg stadium will be replaced with a new one this spring. Interestingly enough, the new central train station is affectionate known as The Tolstoy Member (yes, in THAT sense), due to its shape and location on Tolstoy street. The city is, as mentioned before, quite famous for its lager production and nothing beats laying on the river each, a huge bottle of draft lager in one hand, a bowl of fresh crawfish in the other.

I have never visited Saransk, Sochi and Kaliningrad, but if anyone here requires any information regarding Rostov-on-Don, Volgograd or Yekaterinburg, please fell free to ask. Moscow and St Petersburg are so huge and vast, that it may require a separate topic for each in the tourist section of the forum, if such exists.

Anyhow, I would be more than willing to answer any questions regarding the tournament, so there.

On a sidenote, what are the general expectations of the England fans following the draw?

Russia meddling in our affairs again. Clearly from the Russian tourist board.

Greetings. Have been a more or less regular reader since 2012, can't even remember why I bumped into this forum in the first place. Decided to register and post something insightful, helpful and maybe even funny since the World Cup is approaching and all.

BIRTHPLACE: Moscow

WHEREABOUTS: Moscow

JOB: Interpreter

FAVOURITE CLUB: Dynamo Moscow

FAVOURITE BAND: Metallica

FAVOURITE FOOD: Meat and veggies in any way, shape or form

FAVOURITE DRINK: Close call between water, vodka, scotch and vinho verde

FAVOURITE PLACE: Rome

FAVOURITE TV SHOW(S): True Detective

FAVOURITE FILM: Zhmurki

FOOTBALLING HEROES: Lev Yashin, Igor Dobrovolski, Leonardo Fernandez

FOOTBALLING VILLAINS: Too many to mention, but honestly detest Old Firm for pure footballing reasons

OTHER TEAMS: a bit of a soft spot for Racing Avellaneda, Gremio, Fluminense, OM, Espanyol, Athletic Bilbao, Roma

OTHER SPORTS: Ice Hockey and Basketball

ROLE MODEL(S): My dad and my late granddads

5 THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE: Become a dad; See Dynamo win the league and hopefully a European trophy; Watch a few Argentinian and Brazilian Clasicos in person; Visit Chile; Remain upbeat, no matter what.

Nice forum this, and I don't even watch that many PL games these days :)

:undecided:

Guest Howaythetoon

With England you just never know, it could go several ways but we will most likely play poorly and scrape through as runners up before reaching the quarters where we will get a thumping from one of the big boys.

That said, again you never know with this England team, we could be dark horses for the tournament. We are more of a possession team under Southgate, or rather we are less direct and panicky in defence and we seem to have a solid enough team with Ali and Kane in particular very good.

It depends on our better players not being shagged after the season ends which is often the case with England players come tournament time.

I rate our chances of good progress higher than under the last few managers...