Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Work commitments took me away from home for a fair few days and I didn't really have enough time to surf the web football-wise, but here is what's been up the last few weeks.

Every stadium that was scheduled for opening this spring was tested several times (new attendance records for a second tier match in Samara and a third tier match in Saransk). Some media "experts" whined about slower than usual wifi in Samara and obviously a ton of jokes about Saransk being among the most boring cities ever to host a major event, but other than that everything seems to be ready. Mayor of Volgograd specifically underlined very professional approach from local law enforcement and their British counterparts in anticipation of large numbers of England fans in the city, in order to avoid any blacklist types finding ways into the city (this also includes our very own thugs, just in case).

Ronaldinho visited Krasnodar which is in the same region as Sochi and will be Spain's base during the tournament. Kind of like Malaga, just without the sea. He visited the local academy, was mobbed by adoring kids, and (judging by his attire) proceeded to feast at one of many, many nightlife hotspots that the city has to offer. Personally, I've gone there four times to support my club away, and managed to actually get to the stadium only twice, because it's just that much fun being down there. Not sure some of the younger members of Spanish team will be able to avoid all the temptations, to be honest.

The 109 year old Ignashevich was called up for the tournament despite announcing his retirement from football after this season and not playing for our glorious national side for years. Yes, our centrebacks aren't exactly the new Baresi/Bergomi types. Expectations range from hysterically optimistic to gloomy suicidal.

Quite a few hotel and airline owners have been fornicated with a fish fork (metaphorically speaking) for price hikes, especially in less touristy cities. Obviously a ton of complaints from honest and hardworking disciples of free trade and terminal capitalism on the evils of government regulations. I mean, how dare the state demand that no hotel jams the prices up 200%. Oh, the brutal unfairness of the world, so many tight people around. Yes, that is sarcasm.

Some German dude wrote another article about alleged doping use by some of our footballers. Don't believe a single word, as I have witnessed pretty much all of their matches the last few years and if that was some of them doped than I doubt the author understands the point of doping in pro sports. Probably believes that every Norwegian biathlon athlete has asthma as well.

St Petersburg bar and pub owners expects record crowds, and that's some statement, like. Not something they can reasonably complain about on an ordinary day, let alone during a major event in the summer. One of the newer bars on Nevsky Prospect is actually applying for a world record status for having the largest bar counter in the world (literally covers an entire street block). Anyone visiting - don't complain about the weather. But, probably more of a warning to those from Southern Europe. Anyone going - feel free to ask about specific watering holes, I've been a fair few times, even remember some of the addresses.

I will be away in the Kazan-Samara-Nizhny Novgorod Volga triangle for most of the tournament, so if anyone plans to be in Moscow and has any questions about anything - will be more than happy to help out as a proud born and bred Muscovite.

Just three weeks left, basically. Still plenty of time to get my Panini album completed then.

If they wanted a reggae and rap song as an anthem those FIFA clowns could have just done a bit of research. Something from late Bob Marley with gangsta G lyrics from 50 Cent would be a huge hit here. Will Smith is viewed as a once semi-funny actor and a bizarre Scientology fan in our parts :lol:

saw a shot of the pitch taken from that scaffold stand yesterday, it looks utterly fucking ridiculous, the most russian thing ever

Racist :lol:

Know a few people who have been in attendance, they actually say the view is fantastic, but it does look very unusual from aside. And when there is no game on :D They will rebuild it after the tournament since local side is unlikely to draw 40+ thousand anyway and there is just a ton of other things to do on weekends in Yekaterinburg aside from watching mediocre football. Besides, they like hockey far more there. Should have built a top notch arena for that long time ago, but then again maybe it's just me.

saw a shot of the pitch taken from that scaffold stand yesterday, it looks utterly fucking ridiculous, the most russian thing ever

Know a few people who have been in attendance, they actually say the view is fantastic, but it does look very unusual from aside. And when there is no game on :D They will rebuild it after the tournament since local side is unlikely to draw 40+ thousand anyway and there is just a ton of other things to do on weekends in Yekaterinburg aside from watching mediocre football. Besides, they like hockey far more there. Should have built a top notch arena for that long time ago, but then again maybe it's just me.

you know what i mean man, i've been to russia, it's a great example of the russian propensity for ingenuity in engineering stuff, otherwise known as botching shit up to fuck because it's easier/cheaper

you know what i mean man, i've been to russia, it's a great example of the russian propensity for ingenuity in engineering stuff, otherwise known as botching shit up to fuck because it's easier/cheaper

We are better at space exploration, I give you that :lol: Can think of quite a few examples of fantastic engineering ingenuity with cheaper/easier solutionsin the West (I lived in States for two years back in the day), but somehow never assumed that those examples were the rule :lol:

Anyone letting FIFA and their uber-civilized construction partners in will end up with at least a couple of monstrosities. That's the way I see it. 

Fookin ell, the Salah injury is big news among our football media darlings. Yes, here we are in 2018 literally praying that Egypt's best footballer is injured because youth development is too dangerous and less costly than stadium building. I know this is sad, but I am old enough to remember when Juventus were buying our footballers to replace Platini FFS :D