Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At least Russia is a super power and has enough football history to merit hosting a major tournament! Qatar are an absolute nobody in football terms.

Even then it's a bit of a "waste" of a European year given the ridiculous rotation policy.  It should be either Europe / South America 2 times out of 3, when you're talking about South Korea hosting it for the 2nd time in 20 years and the USA for the 2nd time in less than 30 then there's something wrong.  I'm all for growing the sport but countries with a football heritage going back over a hundred years (you know, like England who haven't hosted it for 48 years and counting) should take priority IMO.

How many places has it left a legacy though? I mean look at when USA hosted it, it's only really been Beckham's arrival at LA Galaxy that kick started the MLS and got the sport going again. Look at South Africa, only 4 years on and some stadiums are going un used, has the sport developed over there much?, not really, Rugby is still the focus of attention. Japan/South Korea 2004, where is the growth in the sport there? As far as I can see both countries are producing average players at best and still have a league that isn't competitive.

This whole leave a legacy is bullshit, the only places where the World Cup have left a legacy is the countries where it was popular in the first place. The argument falls down either further for Qatar when you factor in that their bid is on the basis of temporary stadium of which they hope they can sell off in the future to other countries where the sport is starting to develop. Qatar will end up having prisoners from the world cup (who have done things like have a drink, wear short, hold hands with someone they aren't married, men who have kissed other men) longer than they actually have any stadiums left form the world cup.

Look at South Africa, only 4 years on and some stadiums are going un used, has the sport developed over there much?, not really, Rugby is still the focus of attention.

Football was South Africa's national sport then and still is now... unless you think the black majority doesn't count or something.

Rugby isn't even South Africa's second sport.

Look at South Africa, only 4 years on and some stadiums are going un used, has the sport developed over there much?, not really, Rugby is still the focus of attention.

Football was South Africa's national sport then and still is now... unless you think the black majority doesn't count or something.

Its the blacks that graffiti.

My argument is that it hasn't left much of a legacy though has it?

Again a lot of stadiums have a reduced capacity and have to be used for other events. not much of the footballing legacy that FIFA claim to leave behind.

I think North and South America should be counted as one area when rotating the bids.  There is realistically only a couple of countries who could put a World Cup on and that is the USA and now Brazil.  I recall reading that since the tournament was expanded to 32 countries, bidding countries have to have a certain number of cities to host games and that means virtually all countries in South America are unable to bid which is why Brazil had no rivals when it came to being South America's turn.  Even Argentina would have a problem with the tournament in its current format.  I am not sure if Mexico could cope now even though they have also hosted the World Cup previously.

On that basis, it means that the US and Brazil will get to host the World Cup regularly compared to countries in Europe.

Again a lot of stadiums have a reduced capacity and have to be used for other events. not much of the footballing legacy that FIFA claim to leave behind.

I'm not disputing the legacy, I'm disputing the fact you said 'rugby is still the focus of attention"

Canada are going to make a serious bid for the next World Cup that they are eligible to host. It would be nice to see them get it. It's growing sport over there, arguably more so than in the USA.I wouldn't be surprised of Canada didn't start their own MLS type league in the next 10-15 years if a few of their cities bidding for an MLS franchise get knocked back.

We had Euro 96 tbf

That's true but firstly that's not really the same, and secondly what I'm getting at is that Germany/Mexico have hosted it twice since we have and there was a possibility of America/South Korea getting it again so quickly simply due to the ridiculous rotation process, and of course we ended up with Qatar.  I'd have been pissed off whatever happened in that one if I'm honest, with the possible exception of Australia.  Suffice to say, I think England are due a turn.

I'm not disputing the legacy, I'm disputing the fact you said 'rugby is still the focus of attention"

Rugby still gets a lot more investment than football does, the world cup was supposed to stop that.

Canada are going to make a serious bid for the next World Cup that they are eligible to host. It would be nice to see them get it. It's growing sport over there, arguably more so than in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised of Canada didn't start their own MLS type league in the next 10-15 years if a few of their cities bidding for an MLS franchise get knocked back.

Nah. :lol:

It's growing, but not at any kind of substantial pace. And there's no way Canada would break off from MLS and go their own way. They wouldn't even consider that in hockey, which enjoys 10x as much support across the country as football. They'd lose way too much money.

Though I do agree that a Canadian WC would be a great tournament and would definitely encourage the growth of the sport here. They'd have a lot of work to do, though.

Give it 15-20 years and Colombia could host a cracking tournament, assuming their current economic trajectory holds. Had the 2011 U-20 WC, which was a success by all accounts.

e final of the 2022 WC will be played in Lusail, Qatar - a city which does not yet exist.

I used to live in Qatar and if you'd said that a month ago I would have said 'yes, but in winter'. Now I'm not so sure.

Having said that, I did say there was a good chance WC2022 would not be held in Qatar here: http://postimg.org/image/v95c9r05n/

This was November 2011, so I scooped the Sunday Times by 2.5 years.

Would be a bit s*** if Japan or S Korea got it again so quickly after they last hosted it

I wouldn't mind those hosting again tbh, their fans were great last time to be fair.

I'd rather they got it than Australia or the US.

England would always be my first choice though. It's a crime that they haven't held one since 66 ffs. Definitely a country that'd be ready to hold it tomorrow if they had to.

Its never going to come here for a very long time, if Sepp Blatter stays in power th WC will be going to countries where stadiums need built and can be changed easily...

I think France, Turkey, and Italy will all host a world cup before England gets a chance again.

Assuming that 2022 stays in Qatar, and again assuming FIFA stand by their "principle" (I know, I know) that no confederation gets it twice in a row, I'd be gobsmacked if 2030 goes anywhere other than China.

Canada are going to make a serious bid for the next World Cup that they are eligible to host. It would be nice to see them get it. It's growing sport over there, arguably more so than in the USA.I wouldn't be surprised of Canada didn't start their own MLS type league in the next 10-15 years if a few of their cities bidding for an MLS franchise get knocked back.

:lol: Assuming what you just said about South Africa was true,why would you want Canada to get it when they'll never love it more than hockey.