Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What's bad about Qatar hosting the WC besides climate?

Just get a feeling its a status symbol for them more then anything else. They don't want to host it because they love football, or want to develop their own Football League off the back of the World Cup. They want to Host a World Cup because 'We're muthafucking Qatar, bitches!'.

What was so terrible about the last World Cup. My family members that stayed from the beginning until the semifinals enjoyed the hell out of themselves, and other people I know who went expressed contentment at the way in which things were run. I certainly enjoyed it from another part of the continent.

:thup: Looked class to me, just the football that wasn't the best.

No football tradition = no atmosphere. Plus it's the size of a medium town, no way it can support all the people going there comfortably.

This. It'll be worse than in South Africa imo.

If there is one thing SA had plentiful amounts of, it was racism and poor infrastructure, yet they pulled off a great WC. I think Russia will be a fine host. I think I might want to go to that one. I've already seen Ukraine, but I imagine Russia will be somewhat different.

It was a shit world cup.

i'm not sure it's fair to blame the host country for the shitness of the football to be honest

Lack of preparation, shitty team, lego stadiums, unfamiliar for players, much like SA was, etc. On top of that, not sure where everyone's getting this Qatar have money idea. They, along with UAE just throw money they don't have at shit to make it look like they have money.

Isn't alcohol illegal in Qatar?

Aye, think so.

Obviously FIFA don't give a shit about the fans. Fans will be stoned to death in their thousands.

Buying alcohol in Qatar

Laws

Qatar is a place where people, including Muslims, can legally buy alcohol and then be taken to court for drinking it. Earlier this year an Egyptian man had some beers on a plane on the way here to try and forget the toothache he had. After checking in at his hotel he got a taxi and asked the driver to take him to a dental clinic. Instead, the driver took him to the police station and he ended up receiving lashes for being inebriated. When the sentence was passed, he wept (source: Gulf Times).

I wanted to clarify the laws regarding alcohol. Yet when I rang the Qatar Distribution Company, the only legal distributor of alcohol in the country, they claimed not to know the laws regarding alcohol. However, Qatar Law states that drunken behaviour in public or driving under the influence of alcohol is an offence punished by imprisonment, a fine or both (www.qatarlaw.com). As Sharia law is practised for Muslims, the punishment for Muslims may include lashing.

Where to buy alcohol in Doha

The only licensed shop you can buy alcohol at is the Qatar Distribution Company. To do so you need an alcohol permit, which can be obtained at the centre. Unfortunately, you can’t enter the shop without an alcohol permit, and you can only get an alcohol permit in the shop. You can also buy alcohol from hotels, which are (wait for it) supplied by the Qatar Distribution Company.

Requirements

To obtain an alcohol permit you need a letter from your employer written in English. This must be signed and stamped by an authorised person in your company and be addressed to the Qatar Distribution Company. It must state the applicant’s position, basic salary (must be above 4000 riyals or 1100 dollars, and the letter must use the word basic), state if an accommodation entitlement is received or if the applicant receives free accommodation and whether the applicant is married. The applicant must also provide their ID/passport and residence permit (photocopies are acceptable) and a 1000 riyal (275 dollar) returnable deposit. You also have to complete an application form, and state your religion.

If there is one thing SA had plentiful amounts of, it was racism and poor infrastructure, yet they pulled off a great WC. I think Russia will be a fine host. I think I might want to go to that one. I've already seen Ukraine, but I imagine Russia will be somewhat different.

It was a shit world cup.

i'm not sure it's fair to blame the host country for the shitness of the football to be honest

This. What are you basing all the "it was the shittiest World Cup I've watched" on? It was shit to watch on the tv? Oh I'm sure it would have been fucking awesome if it had been in England....

What was so terrible about the last World Cup. My family members that stayed from the beginning until the semifinals enjoyed the hell out of themselves, and other people I know who went expressed contentment at the way in which things were run. I certainly enjoyed it from another part of the continent.

The football was shit.......and a lot of football fans from SA were priced out of the games.

The football was shit.......and a lot of football fans from SA were priced out of the games.

And it was winter there. Who likes to play at freezing temperatures?

It was pretty corrupt. The workers on the stadiums were the poor people they stuffed away during, they were promised tickets to matches for their work. Yet, all the tickets for the workers were instead sold by the arrangers to the highest bidders.