Newcastle United 1 - 1 Chelsea - 28/11/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

As simple as this really: Guthrie is a back up player, he has no place near the first team when all are fit.

He did a job today, but he isn't a player who will make a difference for us like Barton or even Nolan when it come down to it.

Somebody said earlier that he doesn't do a lot wrong but the game just passes him by, he doesn't impose himself on the game at all.

Useful as a stop gap....

P.S. Jonas had one of his worse games but was at least effective defensively...

I thought Anelka was underpar, and has been for a while tbh.

Was interesting that we didn't have anyone closely marking him. He seemed to find a load of space in the 2nd half and yet we didn't pick him up any better as the game went on. I wondered whether it was intentional (i.e: mark everyone else up top and leave him) or not?

Was interesting that we didn't have anyone closely marking him. He seemed to find a load of space in the 2nd half and yet we didn't pick him up any better as the game went on. I wondered whether it was intentional (i.e: mark everyone else up top and leave him) or not?

He dropped deep a lot I think and we try to avoid being dragged out of position.  Best just leave him and deal with him when he gets towards our third.

Thought Guthrie played quite well tbh, thought they all did really, ended up slightly disappointed with a point.

???

I know Chelsea weren't at their best but IMO they were dominant for most of the game. I thought while it was an excellent point for you, there would have been few complaints if Chelsea had won.

He dropped deep a lot I think and we try to avoid being dragged out of position.  Best just leave him and deal with him when he gets towards our third.

Possibly right mate - I can't think of a better explanation but seems strange to let someone so good that much time & space.

Like you say, if you put a Tiote or someone on him we lose all of our shape.

He drove them forward from deep more than anybody, but I don't think he really created or looked like doing much. "Hot air" performance.

Don't disagree - just thought it was interesting that we didn't seem too worried about the amount of possession he got considering he is capable of playing one killer pass AND the fact the bastard scores against us all of the fucking time.

Anyhow, alls well that ends well.

Thought Guthrie played quite well tbh, thought they all did really, ended up slightly disappointed with a point.

???

I know Chelsea weren't at their best but IMO they were dominant for most of the game. I thought while it was an excellent point for you, there would have been few complaints if Chelsea had won.

We had some great chances too though (Shola, Routledge, Ranger), plus I thought the goal we conceded was incredibly sloppy given the time and the way we conceded possession for it.

happy with a point and happy that they got the game on as i don't think we'd have got a point if we had to play them after xmas and they had Lampard and Essien back in the side,  even if we had the likes of Barton,Colo, Nolan back for us.

???

We had some great chances too though (Shola, Routledge, Ranger), plus I thought the goal we conceded was incredibly sloppy given the time and the way we conceded possession for it.

Fair enough. I got the impression your team couldn't wait for the final whistle - you did get some openings, no doubt, but they set up camp in your half for the 2nd period really. I would have thought the overriding emotion at full time was one of relief.

???

I was also a bit disappointed with a point tbh, I know we weren't the better team, but we were missing a fair few influential players and still had some distinct goal scoring chances.

Could I call myself a newcastle fan if I wasn't disappointed when we could have won, but didn't?

Guest Chris P

Guthrie looked shell shocked playing first team football again. He needs a couple of games under his belt to give him the confidence.

???

Fair enough. I got the impression your team couldn't wait for the final whistle - you did get some openings, no doubt, but they set up camp in your half for the 2nd period really. I would have thought the overriding emotion at full time was one of relief.

After Gutierrez had two great counter attack opportunities in injury time and wasted them, I definitely wouldn't say it was relief. Not displeased with a point though, don't get me wrong. We showed what I've been saying for a while, that when decent sides come up here to play football, we can match them, defend well and create chances and why our home form doesn't overly concern me. I think we'll beat Liverpool.

???

Last 10 minutes i agree we seemed to just settle for the point and they looked like they stil lwanted to win it. Different before that mind.

Case in point was Ranger and Gutierrez breaking on their own and no one supporting them or even trying to get up and support them.

Taylor had an okay game, so I'm not wanting to have a go, but he didn't do well for the first goal. He wandered out of position but wasn't anywhere near enough to Malouda, either to block his flick on or to get to the ball before him. Getting caught in no-man's land has always been a problem for him.

I think out of both sides, we came closest to winning it with Routledge's shot. They were just lucky shits.

dunno like.  Kalou should've had a second when he hit the side netting.

Routledge - on target

Kalou - off target.

I rest my case :snod:

Some great defending by both sides but real credit to Saylor and Sol when you consider the amount of proper football they have played lately. Chelsea looked like they could split us at any time in the second half. F*cking brilliant point imo.....

I think out of both sides, we came closest to winning it with Routledge's shot. They were just lucky shits.

dunno like.  Kalou should've had a second when he hit the side netting.

Routledge - on target

Kalou - off target.

I rest my case :snod:

I wouldn't say so like.  Kalou's was the easier chance.  Was there another defender back on the line with Cole for Routledge's effort?

Anyhow, am happy with the point.  Was convinced they were going to get a 2nd.