*OFFICIAL* HUGHTON SACKED

Skirge

Aye, it seems as though he'd lost the dressing room. Would explain the sudden downturn in performances, even the decent result against Chelsea seemed to lack the spark of the Sunderland and Arsenal games.

Does it? What's the source on that?

I really hope it's not actually true, but the absolutely gutless last two away performances would arguably suggest that he had. :undecided:

So the instant a club starts losing games it's fair to suggest the manager has lost the dressing room and therefore needs replacing sharpish? Do me a favour.

I note Stu has failed to criticise this decision one bit btw, despite being all over others having a go at Hughton and the players like a rash in previous weeks.

Still a bit shocked and perplexed about it to be fair, would rather have a think and see what happens before spouting my plan to bouycott the club all over t'internet. :thup:

The plan for avoiding relegation this year will have been something like: 30 points from the bottom 1/3 of the table, 15 from the middle third and anything from the top clubs is a bonus. At this stage, it is obvious that Hughton is unable to deliver performances against the clubs we should be beating. If he can't deliver the results which he planned to, why should the board have faith in him? Because we've won against teams that were absolutely terrible in those games (Villa, Sunderland, West Ham).

Hughton's contract was set for review in January, the transfer window is coming up, and the two immediate fixtures in the new year could well be must-wins by then. Would it be better, if the broad have doubts, to get rid of him mid-window and just before the derby?

If, if, they have a plan about their next step, this has to be a positive move, putting something into operation rather than reacting to events.

Guest MrSundlofer

Barton's injury, is it really an injury then? (Going on the thesis of Hughton losing the dressing room).

According to a player at the club both Nolan and Barton are injured.

From that Guardian Pardew article:

The 49-year-old, who is the bookmakers' favourite to replace Hughton, has been out of work since he was sacked by Southampton at the end of August despite having led the League One club to their first ever Johnstone's Paint Trophy triumph in March.

If we keep this up, he's going to have an excellent chance of leading us to a Johnstone's Paint Trophy in a couple of seasons.

The plan for avoiding relegation this year will have been something like: 30 points from the bottom 1/3 of the table, 15 from the middle third and anything from the top clubs is a bonus. At this stage, it is obvious that Hughton is unable to deliver performances against the clubs we should be beating. If he can't deliver the results which he planned to, why should the board have faith in him? Because we've won against teams that were absolutely terrible in those games (Villa, Sunderland, West Ham).

Hughton's contract was set for review in January, the transfer window is coming up, and the two immediate fixtures in the new year could well be must-wins by then. Would it be better, if the broad have doubts, to get rid of him mid-window and just before the derby?

If, if, they have a plan about their next step, this has to be a positive move, putting something into operation rather than reacting to events.

By that rationale West Brom should sack their manager.  They only beat us yesterday because we were totally shocking.

:idiot2:

We'll see. Quite how anyone has any confidence that this will happen is beyond me given what has happened to date.

Mike Ashley has never given any indication that he has a plan for this club. No offense, but this is wishful thinking bordering on delusion.

The only reason for this is Ashley just wanted to hire a big name, or someone he thinks is a big name. Never even gave Chris a chance as manager and once we hit a bad string of results he was gone for someone Ashley feels better about.

That's the only silver lining I see at present, surely any new manager gets to bring in a player or two during the January window. Not much of a glimmer I grant you, but still.

Conversely, breaking news: Ben Arfa vows to never return to St James'

You generally win games by being better than the opposition. What on earth is the point in anything if winning games is put down to "the opposition being awful"?

There is no adequate on-pitch explanation of this sacking.

they don't have a plan

If Ashley appoints a decent manager and backs him with decent transfer funds in January, then you might have a point. There is zero reason to think that will happen though.

Also, even if the replacement does end up doing a decent job, that doesn't mean Hughton was bad or deserved to be fired.

It seems like Campbell is the first player to come out and speak on this issue.

Newcastle United defender Sol Campbell has spoken of his admiration for axed boss Chris Hughton and claims the manager's shock sacking will have a negative impact on the club's morale.

Campbell, who made his 500th Premier League appearance this weekend, told ESPNsoccernet: "Chris is such a lovely guy. Top man. This will hit the players hard. The players admired him, and liked him, and won't be happy now he's gone like this."

The former England, Arsenal and Tottenham centre-back added: "You have got to ask yourself why this has happened because it makes no sense. Here is a guy who has done an unbelievable job. He got the club back into the Premier league and any manager would have been rewarded for that with a new contract - but Chris wasn't.

"The players are sure to be asking themselves 'what the hell is going on?', that is only natural.

"We all had a good relationship with the players, and when we left training this morning none of the players had a clue this was coming.

"But word started to spread that the bookies had stopped taking bets and the players started texting each other with the news.

"Yes, it has come as a shock, and it will affect the dressing room there is no doubt about that."

100% lost the dressing room then.

Fucking idiots.

To be fair, Hughton is a nice guy and the majority of people on here (and no doubt linked with the club) have been strongly rooting for him over the past 18months. I can't see players, if they did have an issue with him, running to the press on the day he's sacked to stick the knife in.

Guest Ridzuan

By that rationale West Brom should sack their manager.  They only beat us yesterday because we were totally shocking.

:idiot2:

By that rationale, Avram Grant should be out of job right now, but he is still there fighting through. We should replace the entire Newcastle board with that of West Ham.

O'Neill is a fraud. 100m on players that are lower than us in the table.

O'Neill, Moyes, Hughes, Bruce, etc etc. All much of a muchness, and none of them are any better than Hughton. None of them can coach or build a team into playing good, entertaining football, it's all about hard work, getting stuck in, getting players who are a physical threat, and buying enough average players with Premiership/top flight experience to ensure the squad isn't too exposed after a few injuries.

Had we given Hughton time and a reasonable amount of money to replace substandard dross like Smith, Xisco, Lovenkrands, Best, Guthrie, etc etc, he'd probably have achieved what they did.

100% wrong.

Otherwise, completely stunned at this news.

Within context, I would disagree. Compared to what Keegan and Sir Bobby built for us, with all due respect your best team under Moyes doesn't come close in terms of attacking football. The team Moyes has now has been decent for years now, but nothing beyond above average. And I recall his first few years with yourselves (one was near relegation was it not?) involved putting out a team that essentially kicked players off the park at times, similar to Sparky's Blackburn, until he eventually put together a decent group of players who could match some footballing ability with the aggression.

Where did I say our football matched Keegan's or SBR's? :lol:

The point is, he has done exactly what you said he didn't: built up a team gradually, with good coaching and management, a relative lack of funds, into a team that plays pretty good football. I rate him above all the managers in your original post.

I appreciate what you're saying, and certainly I'd agree that Moyes is the best out of that small list I named. But I can't agree that your team plays "pretty good football" because to state the obvious it's a subjective statement based on what you consider to be "good football". The bar I'm setting for that is what we've seen under the likes of Keegan and Sir Bobby, hence why I mentioned their teams. I mean, we could say the same about Hughton, that we've played good football now and again under him (the game against yourselves, with Ben Arfa's goal, being a good example of that), or others like West Brom or Blackpool could say the same about their respective teams based on what their managers have achieved with minute resources (they do play good football given the teams they have). The point I was making is that this standard of "good football" you've enjoyed under Moyes isn't all that hard to achieve for us, in fact even with our current squad we can play just as well as your side can but lack the consistency to be able to do so due to a lack of depth and some serious dross sitting on the bench. Had Hughton been given more time to reinforce the squad, just like Moyes has had, there would be very little in between the standard and attractiveness/attacking ability your team has right now under Moyes and what we would have had. Hence why I'd lump Moyes in with those other managers.

Been lurking here for years, and have been meaning to post for a while...what better time than now.

25 years I have followed this football club, and have noticed recently that we seemed to be going full circle back to the dark days of the early 1980s. An unambitious board, local rising talent looking likely to end up elsewhere & a fragile confidence amongst the supporters about what the future would bring.

This football club is in serious trouble now. Unless there is a sensational appointment in the form of someone like Martin Jol then NUFC is about to become fragmented amongst it's support just like in the days of Seymour & McKeag. It's actually unfolding right now on this message board as fans draw up the battle lines about boycotting/supporting the club and it will result in our relegation this season.

I was one of the original "supporters for change" who boycotted in the '80s but handed out leaflets etc outside the ground on matchdays. It was obvious then in the 88/89 season that the turmoil would send us down but we were unperturbed. Relegation was a price worth paying as it ultimately got rid of McKeag and ushered in the Keegan Wonder Years. The same price is now worth paying to get rid of Ashley.

To all those who utter the "just support the club" mantra : dont waste your breath, you may as well join the protests because when NUFC is disunited as it is about to be then the only way is down.

The big difference from 30 years ago though is that the club is much more high profile now and whilst nobody cared about us back then this time we are universally loathed for sacking Hughton. Fans, players, managers, pundits are right now expressing their contempt at us and will be willing us to be relegated. Just have a look around the forums, we are despised and who can blame them for doing so?

Dark, dark times ahead.

Good post, and the bit in bold is what scares me most.  It's time for fans to just back off, it won't change Ashley's mind and 08/09 season proved how it will just fuck up the players heads until we get relegated.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

There's no quotes from Pardew, but it seems odd to me that someone close to him would leak that he's interested if he was already lined up to come in. I realize that I'm clutching at straws here.

Twitter talk is suggesting the Pardew deal has been ready for weeks but Hughton kept pulling the results out.  :undecided: :undecided: