Chris Hughton

stozo

Yeah I know what you mean. I just think "legend" is for people like Shearer, Robson, Beardsley, etc. People like Kelly, Keegan, O'Brien, Nolan, Srnicek, etc. fit into the "cult hero" bracket.

:thup:

Don't think he was a legend either.

Generally I'd say he was a positive signing for the club. Promotion season righted the wrongs of relegation (including Anichebe tackle, anonymous displays) and his goals against Sunderland put him in the positive category. However I can't accept somebody who played so many of his games being either completely ineffectual or in extreme cases a visible drag on the team - as a club legend. This transpired his entire 2 and a half years at the club in both divisions.

Cult hero is as far as I'd go.

30 goals in 88 starts from midfield is fantastic, especially in a time when we needed those goals the most.

"Just under two years prior to then he famously stood up in the tight confines of the away dressing room at Leyton Orient following a 6-1 defeat in a pre-season friendly for Newcastle. "Right, this can't go on," he said. "I have never been so embarrassed on a football pitch. You're either in or you're out. We need everyone to pull together to turn this club around and if you don't want to do that, and you want to leave, then put your hand up and we'll help find you somewhere else."

30 goals in 88 starts from midfield is fantastic, especially in a time when we needed those goals the most.

"Just under two years prior to then he famously stood up in the tight confines of the away dressing room at Leyton Orient following a 6-1 defeat in a pre-season friendly for Newcastle. "Right, this can't go on," he said. "I have never been so embarrassed on a football pitch. You're either in or you're out. We need everyone to pull together to turn this club around and if you don't want to do that, and you want to leave, then put your hand up and we'll help find you somewhere else."

He's a positive, positive presence in the dressing room, no doubts about it. And as I said, I didn't really want him to leave.

30 goals is OK. That was his job remember, don't pretend it's some massive achievement.

He's a positive, positive presence in the dressing room, no doubts about it. And as I said, I didn't really want him to leave.

30 goals is OK. That was his job remember, don't pretend it's some massive achievement.

A centre-midfielder's job isn't to be the top scorer. Chip in with goals, yes definitely, but Nolan's goalscoring record wasn't just okay. It was brilliant. I won't deny that his lack of ability in other 'departments' on the pitch were compensated for by his potency in front of goal.

Given the fact he couldn't pass, tackle or run, the only justification for keeping him on the pitch was his goals.

When the goals dried up at Bolton they got rid, and with good reason.

Guest MrSundlofer

Given the fact he couldn't pass, tackle or run, the only justification for keeping him on the pitch was his goals.

When the goals dried up at Bolton they got rid, and with good reason.

...And you wanted to offer him a 4-years contract, right?

Guest bimpy474

Wont quit...wont quit....wont quit........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8256/anofficerandagentleman1.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2989/anofficerandagentleman.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5445/90262408.jpg

Gunnery Sergeant Ronnie is a hard taskmaster.

Carroll got 33 for us in his entire time here. Martins and Owen scored similar amounts too.

Considering he only scored 1 penalty, 30 in 88 for an immobile midfielder is more than OK.

Carroll got 33 for us in his entire time here. Martins and Owen scored similar amounts too.

Considering he only scored 1 penalty, 30 in 88 for an immobile midfielder is more than OK.

According to wiki, Scholes highest ever scoring season was 20 in 52 for manu. The amount Nolan scored from midfield was pretty fantastic I'd say. I concur that he lacked too much in his game though, far too much. The original argument that Ronaldo made where he said Hughton was flawed because he made Nolan the 'focus of the side' is bollocks though for sure. Any midfielder who scores that amount of goals has to be playing a team in the position we were in, any idiot can see that.

Colin Tattum ‏@colintattum

#wba turn to Ralph Rangnick as #blues ward them off over Chris Hughton #bcfc

it appears #wba made approach for Chris Hughton and #blues knocked them back, £2m would have been required in compensation #bcfc

Owen's a useless c***, so why you're bringing him up I don't know. Martins was injured and inconsistent so the same goes for him. Carroll was only really a nailed-on starter for 13 months, so his record stands up, especially when his other attributes are factored in.

Bad, bad footballer who's good at getting a goal every 3 or 4 games. Bolton knew it, we knew it, West Ham will know it soon.

Owen's a useless c***, so why you're bringing him up I don't know. Martins was injured and inconsistent so the same goes for him. Carroll was only really a nailed-on starter for 13 months, so his record stands up, especially when his other attributes are factored in.

Bad, bad footballer who's good at getting a goal every 3 or 4 games. Bolton knew it, we knew it, West Ham will know it soon.

Number 4.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just think "legend" is for people like Shearer, Keegan, Beardsley, etc. People like Kelly, O'Brien, Nolan, Srnicek, etc. fit into the "cult hero" bracket.

Where does Shola fit on that spectrum?

Yeah I know what you mean. I just think "legend" is for people like Shearer, Keegan, Beardsley, etc. People like Kelly, O'Brien, Nolan, Srnicek, etc. fit into the "cult hero" bracket.

Cult Hero, almost the archetypal cult hero given he's gone from largely derided to now largely appreciated.

cult hero

Think he'll have a task on his hands keeping them up next season if he does go mind, wish him all the luck though, will be nice to see him back at SJB. :thup:

as far as I can tell they're in decent state financially so he should have some cash to spend and given the way he basically rebuilt the Birmingham and some of his signings here hes got a decent eye for a player