Alan Pardew

JH

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/10/02/alan-pardew-s-newcastle-united-quiet-revolution-will-continue-apace-despite-the-first-flushes-of-on-field-success-for-the-toon-chief-79310-29520423/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

While Premier League results have captured headlines and the black-and-white imagination so far this season, away from the big games the Newcastle chief is continuing the wholesale restructuring work kicked off earlier in the year.

The behind-the-scenes overhaul saw United’s training ground transformed in the summer, with hundreds of thousands of pounds invested in playing surfaces and facilities at their Benton Park base.

Allied to a new set of player rules and agreeing a new bonus schedule, Pardew has firmly stamped his authority on the club that he took charge of back in December last year.

But ahead of a fortnight’s international break that Pardew admits he would “rather not have to deal with”, the United boss has lifted the lid on further moves to revolutionise the club.

Work on recruiting young players into the development squad continues – an agent with young South American players on his books visited the training ground on Thursday – while Pardew is also looking to deploy some of his scouts to Spain to visit Barcelona’s famous La Masia youth Academy.

“The stuff behind the scenes continues – absolutely,” Pardew said.

“We had an agent at the training ground on Thursday who represents young players from South America, we’ve got a situation where I’m trying to get someone to the Barcelona Academy, just because we haven’t been there for a while and it would be a good time to have a look around.

“All of those processes continue.”

One “process” still on the agenda is a search for another striker – despite the fine recent form of Demba Ba and Leon Best.

United sent a delegation to watch Mobido Maiga a fortnight ago and had scouts watching Bayer Leverkusen’s Eren Derdiyok this week, illustrating that they are still checking out potential targets.

Pardew wants to know a month before the window shuts what their course of action will be.

“I don’t think you can change your opinions over the course of a couple of games. I think we have a long way to run before we get to that window opening,” he said.

“Four weeks before that we will need to nail down what we’re going to do.

“Because if we leave it too late we might end in the same situation – not correcting what we think might be wrong.

“At the moment the team is functioning well but you want to improve all the time.

“So bringing in a player in that window would be a really good tonic, whichever position we’re in.”

What a f***ing c***.  Nearly cost us two points with his s*** subs. We are third in spite of this arsehole.

Serious?

Yes.  We are playing well because of the players that our scouts found.  Not because we have been leaving Barfa on the bench and playing Lovenkrands ahead of plenty of much better players.

What on earth are you on about man? Stop polluting the forum with absolute drivel at every attempt.

So you agree with the subs then?  Or are yo just insulting me for shits and giggles?

Of course I don't agree with the decision to bring Lovenkrands on, but my point was more aimed at the ridiculous nature of the stuff you're saying man.

Even I can't argue with the start we've had, I take my hat off to him. It's a staggering achievement, quite frankly.

Something he really needs to sort out, however, is his attitude to taking a lead, firstly that he seems to think it's an opportunity to give the shit players a run out - it's not a fucking testimonial - and secondly that he wants to take a "backs to the wall" approach but in the total absence of any defensive cover.

If you're slinging on two more centre halves with ten minutes to go and hauling your strikers off then that's an attitude I can understand, although generally it's not one I usually agree with against most sides, but he's asking players whose natural game is to pass it around and keep the ball not to do so and even bringing on shit players who will give the ball away so we can do a bit more defending! He needs to learn that just because you're in the lead doesn't mean you have to give the other team some sort of chance to get back into it by giving them the ball as often as possible. :lol: The absolute best way to defend is to keep the ball off the other team, we've got players who can do that and we had several more on the bench and we never used them, it's bizarre.

Spurs, sunderland, WBA last season and Fulham, Wolves this season, are all games where he has sent shit players on with hardly any time to go and we've immediately looked all the worse for it and found ourselves against a deluge of pressure. Thankfully the latter pair we've had a two goal lead and just managed not to surrender it in the last five minutes but it's been very close indeed to surrendering two late goals both times.

As I say though, onwards and upwards, if he can stop this sort of bollocks making life hard for ourselves, we look like a really decent side.

I've called you out in the past for being too negative on Pardew but fair game, that's a super post.

Bad subs today, but not even Mourinho gets everything right all of the time.

Fact of the matter is that he's got us playing some lovely football, and 3rd in the league with 15 points from 7 games.

Not sure any other manager (that we could realistically attract) would have us in the same position, so he deserves credit.

Unbelievable start to the season, and Pardew has been fantastic.

Some people must really be having a hard time enjoying it so far, and it stinks for them, but that's what you get when you are so f***ing negative before a ball is kicked and you are too sure everything at the club is bad, because it's not being done exactly to your "perfect" ideas.

Having a blast so far with how promising everything has started, and this team will only get better. No where near achieving full potential yet.

That post says more about you than it does about the imaginary people you're posting about.  I doubt that any of our fans want us to get beat just so that they can claim they were right.  I would personally rather we win every game, no matter who is playing for us, managing us or owning us.

Some people must really be having a hard time enjoying it so far, and it stinks for them, but that's what you get when you are so f***ing negative before a ball is kicked and you are too sure everything at the club is bad, because it's not being done exactly to your "perfect" ideas.

Having a blast so far with how promising everything has started, and this team will only get better. No where near achieving full potential yet.

That post says more about you than it does about the imaginary people you're posting about.  I doubt that any of our fans want us to get beat just so that they can claim they were right.  I would personally rather we win every game, no matter who is playing for us, managing us or owning us.

You keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

You keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

He's right like. As much as the negativatrons do my head in, everyone wants NUFC to win games at the end of the day. Peace and love y'all.

IMO Pardew fucked up today and was lucky to get three points from a game we should have wrapped up comfortably after that first half performance.  I don't think that means I want to see Newcastle lose or that I revel in negativity (I'm about as positive as it gets..).  It's just my opinion.  I think it was clear very early in the second half that we were under pressure and only threatening on the break.  We needed to either go more defensive or bring on players that could really hurt Wolves on the break (players like Ben Arfa and Marveaux could have exploited that space). Bringing on Lovenkrands  and Guthrie achieved neither, completely pointless substitutions that could and probably should have seen us throw away 2 points.

We've done fantastically well so far and I'm still quite positive about Pardew as our manager, but that doesn't mean he's perfect and can't have his decisions called into question.

Guest magpie99

I'm sad to say we won't maintain anything like this position in the table once the season starts getting tricky.

What a bold prediction. :lol:

Suffice to say this:

Most people on here would have been happy with a draw before a ball was kicked.

We were away from home.

We got the three points

Players worked hard and we got the luck we havent been getting in the past few seasons.

We have already taken 10 more points from opposition teams that we got last season.

We are only 25 points from safety

Noone expected us to be where we are in August

The team is still gelling

Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Santon are being pased in gently

We have a better depth than we had last season.

If anyone is afraid of a hammering at Old Trafford, just look at Norwich yesterday. Thhey had 4 clear cut chances to score my granny would have out away.

What is everyone worrying about. Our aim is top 10, not CL or Europa. Anything more than top 10 is a bonus.

Guest TheSummerOf69

We should keep attacking when we have a lead, even presumably if doing so with a tired team leads to us conceeding then being criticised for not seeing the game out. Hindsight's great.

We will need Shola, Loven, Raylor, and Guthrie at times this year, but apparently we should never bring any of them on unless we have absolutely no other options.

Raylor had a cracking last minute block yesterday to stop a certain goal, as well of course as scoring the winner against the Mackems; Loven got 2 to put us in the next round of the league cup.

I'm all for buying better replacements then selling them, but until then we will need them at times, and so far things are going great. Given time and confidence some unexpected players can bring something to the table - Colo looked terrible when he first came, and Ba and Best are defying early expectations. The 4 above may never reach great heights as players, but we need to use the squad to avoid burning out the ones not used to the pace and power of the Premier League.

It's playing a long game rather than having a huge injury list. The fact that we're doing this and third in the table and through 2 away cup ties is just great.

`What is everyone worrying about. Our aim is top 10, not CL or Europa. Anything more than top 10 is a bonus.`

its a nice problem to have.  HOwever when you find yourself in 3rd , you dont set out to give it up!  Maybe we have to wake up(management not the fans) and realise how good we COULD be with the right application/backing.

This said, liverpool and psurs have also finally woken up.  imo we are better than liverpool, but not spurs; i would be suprised to finish higher than spurs.

goon then...dodgy prediction, we will be fighting manu for second place.  mancity to win it....assuming no injuries to our major players.

Pardew's bench sometimes looks unbalanced. Yesterday for example we had Sammy, Marveaux, Lovenkrands and Ben Arfa there. While it's nice to have forwards on the bench who can change the game what's the point in having so many when you can only play a couple at most? What if you want to close out a game, wouldn't it be better to have another midfielder or defender as options?

Pardew's bench sometimes looks unbalanced. Yesterday for example we had Sammy, Marveaux, Lovenkrands and Ben Arfa there. While it's nice to have forwards on the bench who can change the game what's the point in having so many when you can only play a couple at most? What if you want to close out a game, wouldn't it be better to have another midfielder or defender as options?

Tbf we had Elliot, Santon, Guthrie, Marveaux, Sa. Ameobi, Ben Arfa, Lovenkrands

Which is a keeper, one defender (do we have another available atm?) a central midfielder, 3 players who can play in midfield or up front (with Ben Arfa and Marveaux it's 2 players who seem comfortable in 2 or 3 positions) and a poacher type forward. Kadar seems to be off the radar at the moment and we could have put Gosling in but I'm not sure we would have added much difference to Guthrie or one of the attacking mids in terms of what he would have given us.

That's not too bad imo.

When we have everyone fit and ready the bench should look pretty bloody good.

Say - Elliot (GK), Raylor(LB, RB, RW), Williamson  (CB), Obertan (RW, LW, SS), Gosling (CM), Best (FW) and Ferguson (LB/LW).

Best is in there because I needed to put one of Ben Arfa, Best or Ba in there but I wouldn't drop him at the moment if I am honest, Raylor is not the most exciting but he has had a decent start to the season, is able to cover a number of positions and his right foot can be a wand. Still think Gosling will be a very useful player for us and the sort who can come on and snatch a goal as he is very adept to getting into those positions.

I thought we were a bit short on options to add a bit of steel to the team yesterday, bench was too offensive tbh. I honestly thought he would have brought on santon for obertan as he seemed to be making sloppy mistakes in second half and wasn't as decisive as in the first (could be said of all though). After the break we had no-one who could really _"hold the fort", Pards should perhaps have gone, as some of the above have stated, with ben arfa or marveaux into the midfield to give a counter like feel to the attack, this would at least convert us into a midfield five with faster outlets. I  didn't mind ba coming off as best rarely loses the ball and holds it up very well, he's less of a goal threat but you don't mind that when you want to keep possession from the other side.

Great first half and perhaps a bad bench to remedy the second half onslaught from them... Would Mehdi Abeihd have added steel to the midfield? Is he a more holding type than attacking>???

Good shout on Mehdi, I still think the bench had enough options to make us more compact (as you said, bring in another midfielder to make it a solid 5). It's how they are used that is the failing and I don't think we had too many other options.

A midfield of Jonas, Guthrie, Tiote, Cabaye and Obertan with Best up front should have been enough to make us very hard to break down. Santon could have come in for Obertan or one of the full backs to add a bit more pace to the back line.

We did have a lot of attack minded options there but there was enough options to go the other way if required.