Alan Pardew

JH

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/10/19/2718523/newcastle-united-goalkeeper-tim-krul-reveals-boss-alan?

The Magpies boss told his players of an imaginary slope at St James’ Park and that they were playing down it in the second half, towards their home fans.

Krul explained Pardew’s tactics to The Sun: "The manager made a good point at half-time against Spurs.

"He convinced us we were playing downhill towards our fans in the second half. It really seemed to help and, in the end, it was a draw that almost felt like a win."

Pardew’s men were behind against Tottenham at the break thanks to a Rafael van der Vaart penalty, but his side managed to come back twice to get the point which added to their already impressive tally this season, with the Magpies sat in fourth place in the Premier League.

The north east side's early success in the campaign has come as somewhat of a surprise as the club’s chances were played down by fans and critics alike, after it appeared they had failed to reinvest the capital raised by striker Andy Carroll’s sale to Liverpool in January.

Bet he's telling Ryan that the left side is actually the right too!

Seriously, whatever works and this is some funny stuff. Imagine if Saylor had come out with what Pardew had said :D

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/10/19/2718523/newcastle-united-goalkeeper-tim-krul-reveals-boss-alan?

The Magpies boss told his players of an imaginary slope at St James’ Park and that they were playing down it in the second half, towards their home fans.

Krul explained Pardew’s tactics to The Sun: "The manager made a good point at half-time against Spurs.

"He convinced us we were playing downhill towards our fans in the second half. It really seemed to help and, in the end, it was a draw that almost felt like a win."

Pardew’s men were behind against Tottenham at the break thanks to a Rafael van der Vaart penalty, but his side managed to come back twice to get the point which added to their already impressive tally this season, with the Magpies sat in fourth place in the Premier League.

The north east side's early success in the campaign has come as somewhat of a surprise as the club’s chances were played down by fans and critics alike, after it appeared they had failed to reinvest the capital raised by striker Andy Carroll’s sale to Liverpool in January.

Seriously, whatever works and this is some funny stuff. Imagine if Saylor had come out with what Pardew had said :D

Eh? We were playing downhill.

:pards:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

You can tell he buzzes off the crowd and really loves managing us.  At the game I noticed him pumping the crowd up twice, he spent pretty much the entire 90 minutes prowling his technical area and was always shouting instructions.

Watched the match back for the first time on TV last night, is it just me or does he shout ridiculously loud?  I'm sure I never heard what Hughton was yelling to the players.  But a few times you could hear Pards:

"Besty, fucking superb  :lol: tight Demba, pressure him, brilliant work."  Then clapped and just generally encouraged everyone.

"Take him on Gab, open up, go past him" 

Were a few more times where you could hear him barking out orders, but can't remember what he said.  Not the first time I've noticed it, he seems a pretty vocal manager, really like that.

Pretty booming voice, like.

"Fucking superb. They can't handle you." (To Cheik) :lol:

Better win the toss on Saturday as I'd hate to play up that hill in the second half.

I was always under the impression there has always been an ever so slight slope towards the Gallowgate?  I'm sure I heard it on a stadium tour or something once...

There is, the old gadgey on my tour said there is a slope, it's quite evident if you're standing in the dugout and look at the angle of the advertising hoardings (not the new digital ones, the ones on the front of the stands).

Guest Howaythetoon

There is a slope at the Gallowgate end, has been there since the stadium first opened on what was originaly just a lump of grass and mud on top of the old Gallows. Regarding the fans being the 12th man, all NUFC fans demand is a hard working side that tries to play football. If we do somehow managed to actually play football and results follow, that's a bonus. Try hard and try to play the game in the way and manner it is meant to be played and 9 times out of 10 the average joe on the stands will show appreciation. Give us more though and we will become a force of our own as KK and Sir Bobby's sides did. Pardew's isn't doing to bad. The true test for the fans and team will be when we lose a game or two. I feel, like with Hughton's side, as long as the players try hard and try to play decent football, even if results are not the best, we'll still get behind the lads. We seemingly have that kind of side, hard working and talented enough to play football the right way. With the confidence and support we are playing above ourselves and long may it continue. Pardew is having a very very positive impact and for that deserves credit and I say this as a critic of his and someone who even now in an ideal world, would rather not see his face in our dugout.

I was always under the impression there has always been an ever so slight slope towards the Gallowgate?  I'm sure I heard it on a stadium tour or something once...

There is, the old gadgey on my tour said there is a slope, it's quite evident if you're standing in the dugout and look at the angle of the advertising hoardings (not the new digital ones, the ones on the front of the stands).

This. It's not the only stadium in England, though.

Guest Howaythetoon

You can see it from L7 in the Milburn at the middle of that stand, the Leazes end of the pitch looks straight but the Gallowgate gradually slopes. I remember reading old Chronicle match reports from the 20s and 30s about rival teams complaining about the slope saying it gave us an advantage yet ironically they also played 'down' that end too during whatever half. I'm sure Jacky Charlton used to base some of his tactics on the slope too. Both KK and Shearer have said the ball seemed to move quicker down at the Gallowgate end of the pitch as well. Its also quite funny how people say down at the Gallowgate End. Down being apt given its slightly downward slope.

That's what I love about our club, these daft little things that should be myths but are actualy true. Just like how for a few seasons we played in (very very dark) blue and white stripes due to a fuck up at the printers when doing our shirts and not black and white. Or the very reason for our black and white stripes... because it made the players look taller based on how contrasting striped wallpaper made rooms look taller. A very edwardian type of thinking.

NUFC has an amazing history, such a strange club. A club that has been central to the game's history actually from the advent of the playoffs, the off-side rule all the way to breaking the world record transfer fee. Our club also played a huge part in the advent of the Premier League despite not actually being in it at the time and ask Sky's former CEO's who helped make Sky Sports such a huge thing.

The entertainers. There are quotes in a great book I have about the Premier League from a CEO of Sky at the time citing Man Utd, Shearer, Dalglish's return to footy at Blackburn, and Newcastle as things that sell Sky Sports (back in early 90s). He said when NUFC burst onto the scene subscriptions almost doubled, due to the way we played football and how seemingly refreshing we were, i.e. a sleeping giant returning to the big time, upsetting the cartel and in style, all with likable players, manager, owner and of course fans.

People don't realise how big NUFC are in a historical context regarding the game, especially the British game, and the huge huge part we've played in shaping it.

You can see it from L7 in the Milburn at the middle of that stand, the Leazes end of the pitch looks straight but the Gallowgate gradually slopes. I remember reading old Chronicle match reports from the 20s and 30s about rival teams complaining about the slope saying it gave us an advantage yet ironically they also played 'down' that end too during whatever half. I'm sure Jacky Charlton used to base some of his tactics on the slope too. Both KK and Shearer have said the ball seemed to move quicker down at the Gallowgate end of the pitch as well. Its also quite funny how people say down at the Gallowgate End. Down being apt given its slightly downward slope.

That's what I love about our club, these daft little things that should be myths but are actualy true. Just like how for a few seasons we played in (very very dark) blue and white stripes due to a f*** up at the printers when doing our shirts and not black and white. Or the very reason for our black and white stripes... because it made the players look taller based on how contrasting striped wallpaper made rooms look taller. A very edwardian type of thinking.

NUFC has an amazing history, such a strange club. A club that has been central to the game's history actually from the advent of the playoffs, the off-side rule all the way to breaking the world record transfer fee. Our club also played a huge part in the advent of the Premier League despite not actually being in it at the time and ask Sky's former CEO's who helped make Sky Sports such a huge thing.

The entertainers. There are quotes in a great book I have about the Premier League from a CEO of Sky at the time citing Man Utd, Shearer, Dalglish's return to footy at Blackburn, and Newcastle as things that sell Sky Sports (back in early 90s). He said when NUFC burst onto the scene subscriptions almost doubled, due to the way we played football and how seemingly refreshing we were, i.e. a sleeping giant returning to the big time, upsetting the cartel and in style, all with likable players, manager, owner and of course fans.

People don't realise how big NUFC are in a historical context regarding the game, especially the British game, and the huge huge part we've played in shaping it.

This post is very extraneously linked to the Alan Pardew thread at best :D

Yep, was told the same thing when I last toured the ground about 15 years ago. Slopes by 3 metres I think.

This. It's not the only stadium in England, though.

3 ft slope towards the Gallowgate End, I was told this Monday on a stadium tour.