Alan Pardew

JH

Cant believe how fickle some people are. The poll I'm reading at the top says that 95% reckon he's been either good or excellent, and the fact is 19 games through the season we are 7th in the league with 5 points clear at the moment. A few frustrating results recently but largely a fantastic first half to the season and Pardew has to take a large amount of credit for this. Lets not forget this is despite having Simpson as our undisputed best right back and Best and Ameobi as our best strikers bar Ba.

We have quality in the squad with some obvious gaps, and if we want to point fingers lets point them to those who are sanctioning the transfers.

I'm as frustrated as many by some of the tactics and not playing Ben Arfa but what could just easily have happened is we attempted to pass them off the park and get strolled completely. The last time I remember a manager going with the consensus on here, we lost 3-0 at Derby. A few weeks ago some were hailing him as a tactical mastermind, tipped for England etc. etc, he's no Mourinho but I don't see a queue of big names queuing to manage us under Ashley. The realistic alternatives are going to be worse, not better.

We're 7th in the league despite glaring weaknesses in the squad and Pardew has done more than enough to be given a bit of faith and cut a bit of slack given how bleak recent seasons have been.

I tipped Pardew for England the other day, I was being sarcastic.

Not starting with ben arfa is fucking criminal and even starting ryan taylor away from home against a pacey winger just shows what a fucking numpty he is at times.

The crows are hovering!

Name one thing Ben Arfa did tonight.

Cant believe how fickle some people are. The poll I'm reading at the top says that 95% reckon he's been either good or excellent, and the fact is 19 games through the season we are 7th in the league with 5 points clear at the moment.

That excuse can only run so far imo.  Realistically, outside the top 6 we have the best XI in the league quite easily.

Pardew has been been very stubborn and cowardly in his team selections in the last 8 matches and it's not ott to be expectant of better than we currently are.

He's an average manager who overachieved at the start of the season. Now when things aren't going well, he's being found out.

We/he had loads of luck earlier in the season which we're not getting now.

I've never had any faith in Pardew if I'm being honest.

This, but I still had to tip my hat to him for our start to the season.

However the last couple of months have been a big concern both on and off the pitch, and I'm almost back to my original stance on him, i.e. not rating him much at all and thinking he's an absolute twat.  The daily soundbites whoring our best players off to anyone who'll pay money for them have fucked me off royally and his team selections and tactics have taken a huge turn for the worse.

Cant believe how fickle some people are. The poll I'm reading at the top says that 95% reckon he's been either good or excellent, and the fact is 19 games through the season we are 7th in the league with 5 points clear at the moment. A few frustrating results recently but largely a fantastic first half to the season and Pardew has to take a large amount of credit for this. Lets not forget this is despite having Simpson as our undisputed best right back and Best and Ameobi as our best strikers bar Ba.

We have quality in the squad with some obvious gaps, and if we want to point fingers lets point them to those who are sanctioning the transfers.

I'm as frustrated as many by some of the tactics and not playing Ben Arfa but what could just easily have happened is we attempted to pass them off the park and get strolled completely. The last time I remember a manager going with the consensus on here, we lost 3-0 at Derby. A few weeks ago some were hailing him as a tactical mastermind, tipped for England etc. etc, he's no Mourinho but I don't see a queue of big names queuing to manage us under Ashley. The realistic alternatives are going to be worse, not better.

We're 7th in the league despite glaring weaknesses in the squad and Pardew has done more than enough to be given a bit of faith and cut a bit of slack given how bleak recent seasons have been.

tel you what i'll do. i'll laud him when he gets it right, even when the result goes against us, i'll counter that be slagging him off when he gets it wrong.

Tbf ChrisJbarnes, it's quite hard to analyse a game like 3-1 at Liverpool with a perfectly weighted positive and negative balance when there are pretty much zero positives to be taken. After a match like this, this thread will be filled with criticisms because there were no positives.

In the grand scheme of things, yes we're 7th. Yes I'm happy. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on matches where he was obviously clueless.

Repeated mistakes, in any job, are a source of not only annoyance, but disciplinary action. Repeatedly using an out-of-form Obertan when you've got the supposedly most gifted French player of his generation if you go by his compatriots on the bench is mind boggling.

In a way he's the anti-Hughton, Norwich aside he has a good record vs the 'lesser' teams, and can't do much vs the big hitters. Hughton seemed the opposite of that at the time.

Overall, doing good. Doesn't mean I'm totally happy; when I see our team put out to play to their strengths and play with their hearts on their sleeves set up to play football, and lose, then hands up fair play Mr Pardew. Doesn't happen too often though.

Not starting with ben arfa is fucking criminal and even starting ryan taylor away from home against a pacey winger just shows what a fucking numpty he is at times.

The crows are hovering!

Name one thing Ben Arfa did tonight.

Warmed up

He should have been on from the start

He's an average manager who overachieved at the start of the season. Now when things aren't going well, he's being found out.

Summed up well really.  His biggest test was always going to be how well he and the squad reacted to the run of nightmare fixtures and the reaction has been nothing short of disasterous, playing absolute shite in the process.

I pointed this fact out a few weeks ago.

Once he suddenly has top class players at his disposal he doesn't know how to us them, and instead he makes them scapegoats.

Once he suddenly has top class players at his disposal he doesn't know how to us them, and instead he makes them scapegoats.

Rumored to be sacked at Southampton for refusing to use a squad of players, as the fans will tell you on the pitch he was doing a good job.

Yep, it's Tevez and Mascherano all over again.

Rumored to be sacked at Southampton for refusing to use a squad of players, as the fans will tell you on the pitch he was doing a good job.

other rumours say he was sacked because of more , shall we say "personal" reasons.

Tbf ChrisJbarnes, it's quite hard to analyse a game like 3-1 at Liverpool with a perfectly weighted positive and negative balance when there are pretty much zero positives to be taken. After a match like this, this thread will be filled with criticisms because there were no positives.

In the grand scheme of things, yes we're 7th. Yes I'm happy. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on matches where he was obviously clueless.

Repeated mistakes, in any job, are a source of not only annoyance, but disciplinary action. Repeatedly using an out-of-form Obertan when you've got the supposedly most gifted French player of his generation if you go by his compatriots on the bench is mind boggling.

In a way he's the anti-Hughton, Norwich aside he has a good record vs the 'lesser' teams, and can't do much vs the big hitters. Hughton seemed the opposite of that at the time.

Overall, doing good. Doesn't mean I'm totally happy; when I see our team put out to play to their strengths and play with their hearts on their sleeves set up to play football, and lose, then hands up fair play Mr Pardew. Doesn't happen too often though.

:thup:

Got it so wrong tonight (not the first time too worryingly enough).

- Shouldn't have left Ba upfront on his own. He was completely isolated.

- The lack of adventure by playing 4-5-1 with an inexperienced Vuckic was a mistake.

- As it stands, persisting with Obertan can only damage both the player's confidence and the team's performance on the pitch.

Having said that, I still have faith that he'll turn it around. We're still 7th so that's a plus point but there are evidently worrying signs.

Pretty much this.

No screaming with pitchfork , no blind defence of his managerial ability.

:thup:

I just feel that game for game, point for point, Pardew has done extremely well taking all factors into consideration.

Starting Obertan raises eyebrows certainly, but there might well be perfectly good reasons why he isn't doing it.

We're on poor form admittedly, but I'm not sure any other managers would necessarily have us in the same position given the circumstances.

A few people wanted Jol, Hughes and O'Neill instead of Pardew. Jol isn't popular with Fulham fans, O'Neill isnt popular with Villa fans, Hughes is fairly meh. Is the grass always greener?

I just think a few people are quick to jump on bandwagons. If Pardew had made all his team selections, tactics and substitutions according to the general consensus on here, would we be 7th? I have my doubts. He certainly isnt above criticism but I think people on here do have a tendancy to oversimplify managing a football team.

Off to bed now so probably won't reply :thup:

Don't think it's against "big hitters" so much, but the truth seems to be that Hughton inspired a few one-off performances better than anything pardew's done, bar that 2nd half vs arsenal. i think hughton had a more genuine relationship with the players, which helps, even if he was lacking in one or two other areas. Pardew seems a touch more consistent in the so called easier games, though i think we've spurned winnable matches recently. not all of them by any means easy games, but winnable ones.