Alan Pardew

JH

Just worked out a fun stat for people.

We've played 23 games this season with 2 fit Cb's in the game.

Of those 23 games, we've conceded more than one goal only 6 times.  (Spurs, Man City, Lpool, Fulham, Spurs, Wolves)

Of those 6 times, only 3 achieved it without pens/deflections (Lpool, Fulham, Spurs)

Thats pretty amazing tbh.

My feeling is that we won't do so well next season regardless of who is signed in the summer. Not unless he grows some balls anyway. He's too much of a patter merchant with, it seems to me, the wrong priorities. Protecting the back four to the detriment of playing football and affording the opposition way too much respect. It's also been rumoured that he relies a lot on prozone stats, I don't know this to be true but it might explain quite a lot. Sadly.

We'll know more come June anyway but I'm not overly optimistic.

Can I just clear one thing up?  Lots of top managers (in fact, I would hazard a guess that all top managers) use Prozone.  This is not something exclusive to Pardew and Allardyce.

no problem with using that sort of thing, my problem is with the extent to which some managers seeminglt allow those things to guide their tactics/team selections.

Can I just clear one thing up?  Lots of top managers (in fact, I would hazard a guess that all top managers) use Prozone.  This is not something exclusive to Pardew and Allardyce.

It's how much you rely on them that people are perhaps worried about.

Yes - but no-one can ever know exactly how much any one manager uses Prozone.  It's just a lazy label that people like to throw about.

not necessarily if the manager has the team drilled to percentage balls. allardyce definitly and us yestarday apart from ben arfa.

There seems to be an obvious divide of younger fans and older ones on this board, nothing against the younger ones, and to be fair to them, this is probably the best they've seen in terms of league position as fans in their adult lives. The culture of acceptance among those is quite startling to me, having seen tenures like Pardew's an amount of times I can count on almost 2 hands now since we returned to the top flight (and I mean in 1993-1994). It's difficult to express on a forum to fans who love the club, who are obviously younger, a voice of experience while sitting behind a keyboard and a computer screen where people's automatic defensive postures are protected by a shroud of anonymity, with the tendency to pick apart well thought-out posts one sentence at a time, let alone word by word, to build a sense of an online persona. Hi Ronaldo.

There seems to be no obvious divide of younger fans and older ones on this board. As one of the apparently older supporters I find it pretty startling that you have so little tolerance of a manager that has yet to see one full season with us and yet has brought in and got the players you hold in such high regard to that 6th position you feel 'youngsters' are getting so blinded by (a position a full ten places higher than the seasonal average for the club in my time).

Forgive me for only having time to pick up on one of your paragraphs if that is 'doing a Ronaldo', I gave my general thoughts on the previous page to your post.

I suppose I wouldn't have any trouble accepting this if I started supporting the club under Souness instead of Bobby :lol:

I'm not as angry as I was the day we played Sunderland, so I'm willing to give Pardew a chance to show he's not a total fraud against Arsenal. If he starts Raylor over Ben Arfa again...

The second half yesterday was as good as I've seen an NUFC team peform in ages, even before the sending off. They had that double chance, but that was the only time I can remember them threatening in our box within 45 minutes. For making the change at half-time and introducing Ben Arfa, Pardew deserves some credit - many of the gripes in here have been that he doesn't react to a s*** performance quickly enough. He certainly did yesterday, and introduced Shola at the right time too.

Basically, first half pathetic. Second half great. At least Pards rectified his mistake; with a bit of luck, we'd have won the game yesterday. Optimist here.

Sorry for highlighting your particular post on this issue, it's not personal it was just the most recent.

How on earth can people credit a manager for making the mistake of not starting your best attacking player on the park by saying he made a good move by putting him on at the start of the second half?

There seems to be an obvious divide of younger fans and older ones on this board, nothing against the younger ones, and to be fair to them, this is probably the best they've seen in terms of league position as fans in their adult lives. The culture of acceptance among those is quite startling to me, having seen tenures like Pardew's an amount of times I can count on almost 2 hands now since we returned to the top flight (and I mean in 1993-1994). It's difficult to express on a forum to fans who love the club, who are obviously younger, a voice of experience while sitting behind a keyboard and a computer screen where people's automatic defensive postures are protected by a shroud of anonymity, with the tendency to pick apart well thought-out posts one sentence at a time, let alone word by word, to build a sense of an online persona. Hi Ronaldo.

The over-analysis of the 4-3-3 Keegan tactic is 100% unequivocally irrelevant.  The point I was making, is that such a manager of that calibre had the confidence and the nous to be able to identify a system that would possibly and logically fit the team he had at his disposal - and try it. If anyone believes for one moment Alan Pardew is doing this with our team, or even attempting to, well I don't know what I can say to you, other than ignorance is bless. If you believe that hoofing the ball long to 2 players who are incapable of playing the way they were asked to (hold up the ball/provide the second ball) is the correct thing to do, and simply blame Krul for his 'poor distribution', I must politely ask you perhaps post a little less and read a little more from those that do know what they are talking about. This won't happen, but I can still ask all the same.

I could walk the forum through, player by player, how as a squad, where we sit compared with other squads we've had in all our team in the Premier League and show you that we are almost as strong now as we've ever been compared to previous squads. But some people will just refuse to concede a point, as this is an internet forum where you cannot be wrong, just to save face. So I'm not going to waste the keystrokes, people with the experience following this club know this anyway.

If people are happy, let them be happy. But those people that do seem to be happy, also seem to be the ones saying things like the tactical 'masterstroke' of putting HBA on at half time, Krul's poor distribution and how poor our front 2 were yesterday were of no fault of the manager, and this is quite simply wrong. As a fan of 22 years I can very confidently say that Hatem Ben Arfa is one of the most confident and technically skilled players we've ever had in my time, and I would humbly suggest that others who have seen us for longer would agree also, as prior to when I started watching us we weren't exactly in the best of shape until a lot further back. How a football manager cannot accommodate his best player is at the least troubling at any level, but how a Premier League Manager cannot accommodate his best player is shocking. Rewind to Bellamy under Souness, arguably our best player at the time.

Due to the nature of this debate and where it's occurring, I know I'm never going to 'win', nor am I trying to - that would be impossible. But you cannot argue with the facts - we are 6th, we are performing as well now as under Roeder, Souness, Allardyce, Dalglish or Gullit. Each and every one of those managers, were found out when results caught up with their performances as the tactics and the management were simply not up to the level required. How many of those managers have gone on to any degree of success after leaving here? Zero. Because they were all poor, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Alan Pardew is in exactly the same bracket. How long he lasts will be how long he can be carried by the outstanding individual quality of 5-6 of our players.

A good PR man for the club, a good man-manager and a good manager at being able to relate to the fans (although how much of this is down to John Carver's presence is conspicuous). There is a reason managers sacked over and over again at smaller clubs in lower leagues don't strike it lucky at a Premier League club - because they are simply not good enough, and most Premier League chairmen would never hire a manager with his record, it's the basics of recruitment. Take a look at his CV and his reasons for having left his previous clubs and every single chairman would run a mile - except a chairman like Mike Ashley - a track record of being a risk-taker and having an impulsive business mantra. I suppose I better be quiet now and cut all hopes of ever challenging at the top of the table again, just how Mike Ashley likes it.

One fine post fella.

That post is totally unnecessary when you actually read mine, and see that I said "Pardew rectified his mistake" i.e. not starting Ben Arfa in the first place and picking a side that was too workmanlike.

A well thought-out post HawK and you obviously have a lot of experience following the club, but I can't agree with your assessment really.

We have a squad that has some very good, some good and some terrible players. Pardew has managed that squad to a very respectable league position that was beyond most people's expectations at the start of the season. He took over from a popular manager at a 'crisis club' and he's steered a course through it all.

Whether or not the default position of our players is higher or lower than the current league position depends on so many factors that it's almost impossible to argue either way. Everyone who finishes in any league position does so because someone underperforms or overperforms, or their rivals collect slightly more or less points than expected. 

One of the factors of success or failure is the manager. If we were 16th he would be getting panned, now we're 6th he deserves credit.

It's only because we've achieved such a brilliant league position that we've suddenly raised our expectations about the style of football we want to see.

A well thought-out post HawK and you obviously have a lot of experience following the club, but I can't agree with your assessment really.

We have a squad that has some very good, some good and some terrible players. Pardew has managed that squad to a very respectable league position that was beyond most people's expectations at the start of the season. He took over from a popular manager at a 'crisis club' and he's steered a course through it all.

Whether or not the default position of our players is higher or lower than the current league position depends on so many factors that it's almost impossible to argue either way. Everyone who finishes in any league position does so because someone underperforms or overperforms, or their rivals collect slightly more or less points than expected. 

One of the factors of success or failure is the manager. If we were 16th he would be getting panned, now we're 6th he deserves credit.

It's only because we've achieved such a brilliant league position that we've suddenly raised our expectations about the style of football we want to see.

Great post... Too many fans these days think football is an exact science...

If we were 16th he would be getting panned, now we're 6th he deserves credit.

There's something in this, position does make you greedy and objectively it would look ridiculous to almost all fans of other teams to see people in here saying they're not happy but that's what being a fan of your own club is about: Inspecting and analysing everything minutely and I think the scrutiny is worthy and has been for a while. You're right about us being greedy for good football but this team can play so much better than it has, confidence will help us but so will positive tactics and Pardew telling his players to go out there and really go hard at the opposition rather than waiting for counters, moving the ball slowly up the field and hoping that we can ping in an ok cross. We have the speed, skill and ball-players to move it around, get in behind people and really hurt defences.