Alan Pardew

JH

Selection of Pardew quotes from the last few days:

We are putting out a team that has to excel because it is the only way we can compete. Any player who I put out on that pitch has to play above themselves.We did that last year, we lost Andy Carroll and we played above ourselves.

When you have players in that situation you are vulnerable. We are almost in the identical situation as Arsenal. They are vulnerable. They have Fabregas and Nasri both of them being hunted by top clubs. And we have the same situation here. Im afraid that is the way it will always be until we are big enough and strong enough to compete with those top teams. We all know we arent near them at the moment.

The problem is that where we are now financially means that we can never really fulfill the expectations of the fans. They have memories of European football but the gap is -getting bigger as the years go by. It is becoming difficult to compete with the top clubs, but that is not to say we cant compete at the level we are at. But we are always vulnerable to the bigger clubs, as Andy Carroll proved. That makes it difficult to ¬manage but not impossible. Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias made it quite clear the club needs to wipe its nose and ¬therefore we havent got investment above our income."

Hes starting to annoy me a bit. I hate it when managers hide behind shortcomings in their squad. It normally means that your in the middle of a crisis and a change of manager isnt far off. I don't think Pardew will be going anywhere soon though.

I remember Arsenal selling their then best striker to Real Madrid for a vast sum not that long ago.

And it's definitely part of Levy's plan for Tottenham to sell players if an offer comes in that is vastly more than the club's valuation.

Who?

Guest sicko2ndbest

I remember Arsenal selling their then best striker to Real Madrid for a vast sum not that long ago.

And it's definitely part of Levy's plan for Tottenham to sell players if an offer comes in that is vastly more than the club's valuation.

Who?

Think he means barca

Who?

Anelka?

Guest thenorthumbrian

Back page of the Journal today "Pardew - dissent at United won't be tolerated".

I think the ship has already sailed on that one, me old cock sparra.

Who?

Think he means barca

In which case they immediately spent about half of that vast sum buying a striker, even though they already had RVP, Bendtner and Adabayor.  How irresponsible of them.

They replaced Anelka with Thierry Henry.

Who was a winger at the time.

Obertan our new striker ;-)

And he only cost half of what the Anelka sale got them.

Cool, would be delighted with a £17m striker to replace Carroll.

:lol:

proven goalscorer with unproven player with potential

Oh come off it man ffs.

what ? He was young, playing wing for Juventus and was largely a flop. Didnt live up to the expectation. Wenger paid alot for him and from memory it was seen as a big risk. he was proved right.

:lol:

proven goalscorer with unproven player with potential

Oh come off it man ffs.

what ? He was young, playing wing for Juventus and was largely a flop. Didnt live up to the expectation. Wenger paid alot for him and from memory it was seen as a big risk. he was proved right.

He was a young French international widely regarded as one of the best young talents in Europe.  His career had stalled a bit at Juventus but he wasn't there long at all.  Plus Wenger had already worked with him so knew what he was getting.  The guy was clearly a class act back then, it was obvious.

Anelka had 1 good season at Arsenal then whinger replaced Anelka with a player he knew.

I suppose we can do that, Carroll had 6 good months, flogged for big money, now we can buy someone Pardew knows well, like Bradley Wright-Philips.

Anelka had 1 good season at Arsenal then whinger replaced Anelka with a player he knew.

I suppose we can do that, Carroll had 6 good months, flogged for big money, now we can buy someone Pardew knows well, like Bradley Wright-Philips.

Well Wullie did say just now he would like us to buy British  O0

Guest Antec

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/09/alan-pardew-new-striker-search-in-full-swing-72703-29202448/

Alan Pardew: New striker search in full swing

* by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

* Aug 9 2011

ALAN PARDEW today admitted that the search for a striker was now in full swing.

Talking ahead of the capture of Manchester United winger Gabriel Obertan, Pardew’s prediction that the first two weeks of August would result in him adding to his squad look likely to come to fruition.

The Chronicle revealed that Obertan was on Pardew’s radar on August 4, with the player now hoping to be involved in Saturday night’s clash with Arsenal.

Pardew is keeping his cards close to his chest as usual on the striker front, with one his previous targets in Mevlut Erding today linked with a move to Obertan’s old club Bordeaux.

And there is also emphasis on the left-back slot too, with PSV Eindhoven’s Erik Pieters also linked with United.

However, Pardew was keen to reflect on Obertan for now.

He said: “At this stage we are pleased to be adding Gabriel to the squad.

“I have had my eye on him for a number of months. Having spoken to Sir Alex Ferguson I feel he is right for us now.

“We needed to add to the squad. Having lost Wayne Routledge there was a free squad place and I’m delighted we’ve got him.”

Pardew hopes that Obertan will have fans off their seats at St James’ Park.

He said: “I think there is more to come from Gabriel and he’s in a good situation. The fans have an exciting player to look out for.”

Meanwhile, it is understood Chris Hughton and Birmingham City have been told they must find a cash bid if they want to sign Nile Ranger.

The Blues – who lost 2-1 to Derby in their opener – had wanted to sign the Londoner on loan.

And that would actually be one of the only few times that Wenger's spent big to replace a player he lost for big money.

He didn't replace Vieira after getting £12m for him. He spent £8m to replace the £17m Kolo Toure. He didn't spend much of the £26m for Adebayor. He hasn't and doesn't look like he's going to spend the £7m he got for Clichy. Henry went for £16m and they didn't spend big to replace him.

They run on a unique model. We're trying to emulate them. It's hard, but when a player is overvalued by another you club, you let him go. I think Carroll fits into this situation. If we're able to sign a decent striker then I would say our team is much stronger than it was last season, and this whole transfer window would have been a productive one.

We will have two wingers who - on paper, at least - will be as good as Jonas is. We will have a new offensive CM - Cabaye - who - on paper, again - will be better than anyone who played for us in that position last year. We will have two good strikers instead of one - Ba and the new guy. There are a couple of kids who look like they're better than the old guys we played last year - Abeid and Vukcic.

All in all, I think our squad has improved. Whether that's by promoting from within or spending big or searching for value, the improvement and the degree - substantial, imo - is what I'm concerned about. I think a good window sets us up for a good season.

We would be better off if we spent more of the Carroll money, but that ain't happening. To focus on that, I feel, is to miss the picture of us improving. If Pardew's able to implement his vision then we'd be a top 10 team pretty easily, and for a team two seasons from the Championship, that's pretty decent. I'm not a non-believer like Pardew is. I think we can challenge the top teams, and we can do so in the short-term (2-3 years). But it won't happen in one window.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere, but on his SSN interview today he was asked about morale, and he replied along the lines of "A lot better than last week. The Obertan signing has helped, and Cheik Tiote is back which has helped, plus some more good news".

Don't quote me word for word, but I wonder whether the more good news could be Barton related.

Shola

And that would actually be one of the only few times that Wenger's spent big to replace a player he lost for big money.

He didn't replace Vieira after getting £12m for him. He spent £8m to replace the £17m Kolo Toure. He didn't spend much of the £26m for Adebayor. He hasn't and doesn't look like he's going to spend the £7m he got for Clichy. Henry went for £16m and they didn't spend big to replace him.

They run on a unique model. We're trying to emulate them. It's hard, but when a player is overvalued by another you club, you let him go. I think Carroll fits into this situation. If we're able to sign a decent striker then I would say our team is much stronger than it was last season, and this whole transfer window would have been a productive one.

We will have two wingers who - on paper, at least - will be as good as Jonas is. We will have a new offensive CM - Cabaye - who - on paper, again - will be better than anyone who played for us in that position last year. We will have two good strikers instead of one - Ba and the new guy. There are a couple of kids who look like they're better than the old guys we played last year - Abeid and Vukcic.

All in all, I think our squad has improved. Whether that's by promoting from within or spending big or searching for value, the improvement and the degree - substantial, imo - is what I'm concerned about. I think a good window sets us up for a good season.

We would be better off if we spent more of the Carroll money, but that ain't happening. To focus on that, I feel, is to miss the picture of us improving. If Pardew's able to implement his vision then we'd be a top 10 team pretty easily, and for a team two seasons from the Championship, that's pretty decent. I'm not a non-believer like Pardew is. I think we can challenge the top teams, and we can do so in the short-term (2-3 years). But it won't happen in one window.

I agree with most of that but whether we have a good season really does hinge on us getting that striker in, and a left back if Jose leaves. Relying on having Ba fit all season isn't an option we should even contemplate so I hope all this talk that we are pushing to get another forward in isn't hot air.