Alan Pardew

JH

They are clearly trying to knock us down regarding our expectations, that's clear. I ask the question do they seriously think that they could get 52k every week to go and watch a group of no hopers with the best chance of finishing 10th every season?

I think not.

Hope and expectation is what drives us on to do better every season and to be better than our neighbors.   

Very true that. What I will say though is that he's not said much wrong in terms of where we are at the mo. Aside from Cunterpool, Chelsea, Manure, City and perhaps Arsenal, there's a huge gulf in terms of appeal and spending power and unfortunately it's gotten bigger over the past few years. We can't compete with that at the mo.

What we can do, however, is push them as far as we can on the field, and frankly the events of this summer have maintained that divide between fans and players and owners that will present a major barrier to us achieving that.

Well said, HTT, couldn't agree more.

As soon as I read those words from Pardew, it basically came across as Ashley saying "we're not spending the Carroll money - deal with it". He seems hell-bent on turning this magnificent club, and the mentality of the fans into a pie and chips, defeatist club from top to bottom and I for one will never accept him, or his tosser mates being here.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

They are clearly trying to knock us down regarding our expectations, that's clear. I ask the question do they seriously think that they could get 52k every week to go and watch a group of no hopers with the best chance of finishing 10th every season?

I think not.

Hope and expectation is what drives us on to do better every season and to be better than our neighbors. 

Very true that. What I will say though is that he's not said much wrong in terms of where we are at the mo. Aside from Cunterpool, Chelsea, Manure, City and perhaps Arsenal, there's a huge gulf in terms of appeal and spending power and unfortunately it's gotten bigger over the past few years. We can't compete with that at the mo.

What we can do, however, is push them as far as we can on the field, and frankly the events of this summer have maintained that divide between fans and players and owners that will present a major barrier to us achieving that.

It all comes down to how much he wants to put in and allow Newcastle United push for a European or CL place.

He has got the money to invest he just doesn't want to do it simple as.

"BILLIONAIRE Toon owner Mike Ashley has been named as the 655th richest person in the world, according to wealth magazine Forbes.

The reclusive 50-year-old tycoon is recorded as having a £1bn ($1.5bn) fortune, earned on the back of his sporting goods empire".

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11678_7093913,00.html

Pardew urges Toon rethink

Magpies manager feels some still need to adjust expectations

By Ben Collins.   Last Updated: August 11, 2011 5:51pm

Pardew: Admits Newcastle are no longer the spending club they were

Manager Alan Pardew has stressed that Newcastle United must re-evaluate their status as a club.

Pardew has had to get his head round various contractual issues from the previous regime, which have resulted in potentially both Jose Enrique and Joey Barton leaving the club cheaply.

Newcastle fans and some high-profile players have grown increasingly frustrated at the lack of a big-name striker being signed following Andy Carroll's £35million move to Liverpool in January.

But gone are the days of Newcastle splashing the cash, with modest signings such as Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Sylvain Marveaux, Mehdi Abeid and Gabriel Obertan reflecting owner Mike Ashley's new prudent approach.

And Pardew admits that is something everyone involved with the club will have to get used to.

"Some of the problems I have inherited that have gone on before haven't made it easy, and I have picked up some history of what has gone on in contract negotiations et cetera," he said.

New understanding

"It's very, very important that we try to build a new understanding of the club going forward together.

"It's documented that the club needs to be sustainable from its own funds, and that put us in a category of clubs that probably we are not used to being in.

"Maybe 10 years ago, we would be able to rival the Arsenals and Manchester Citys and Chelseas of this world in terms of transfers.

"But that looks difficult at the moment until such times as we grow the club and show on the pitch that we can bring some success, then hopefully keep our better players and build on that.

"Unfortunately, the business of this Premier League makes it difficult. These top clubs can come and grab our players and until such time as we are financially strong enough to hold off sovereign states, we are going to have a problem."

Contrast that to what our then manager said about us a mere 3 and a half seasons ago..

Kevin Keegan: 'We can break the top four'

By Simon Bird 19/01/2008

Kevin Keegan

Keegan warns Fergie and Co that Toon are ready to break Big Four's stranglehold

Kevin Keegan sounded his Newcastle battle-cry last night and insisted: 'We can break the top four'.

The United boss threw down the gauntlet to Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool by declaring Newcastle are the only club who can mount a serious bid to smash their dominance.

And in his inspirational first team-talk, Keegan, who revealed he will speak to Alan Shearer about a coaching role, told his stars to "respect the institution of Newcastle United, deliver what the fans want, and you will be heroes".

Keegan returned to St James' Park as boss 11 years after his first spell ended and vowed to recreate the magic that earned him the nickname Messiah.

He will be given a hero's welcome today in his first game back against Bolton and is itching to get started.

"We have to deliver the dream," said Keegan. "I believe we are one of very few who can challenge the top four. We are one of the biggest clubs outside that big four, if not the biggest. I don't know if they will be fearing or quaking but we are a challenge to them. We have the support, we have the backing.

"The top four have dominated in the last five years. That shows how difficult it is to get into the elite group but we have to give it a go."

Keegan also revealed that after talks with owner Mike Ashley he will have no problem financing any transfer targets he indentifies.

"Having met Mike, I know what his ambition is," Keegan added. "If we want to bring someone here and he is right us, and I go and ask Mike, I'll get the finance."

We are an injury to demba ba away from being relegated our expectations arent that f***ing high we arent asking them for ronaldo or tevez just a decent centre forward and replacment left back, jesus wept.

jesus wept

By Ben Collins.  Last Updated: August 11, 2011 5:51pm

Manager Alan Pardew has stressed that Newcastle United must re-evaluate their status as a club.

Pardew has had to get his head round various contractual issues from the previous regime, which have resulted in potentially both Jose Enrique and Joey Barton leaving the club cheaply.

Newcastle fans and some high-profile players have grown increasingly frustrated at the lack of a big-name striker being signed following Andy Carroll's £35million move to Liverpool in January.

But gone are the days of Newcastle splashing the cash, with modest signings such as Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Sylvain Marveaux, Mehdi Abeid and Gabriel Obertan reflecting owner Mike Ashley's new prudent approach.

And Pardew admits that is something everyone involved with the club will have to get used to.

"Some of the problems I have inherited that have gone on before haven't made it easy, and I have picked up some history of what has gone on in contract negotiations et cetera," he said.

New understanding

"It's very, very important that we try to build a new understanding of the club going forward together.

"It's documented that the club needs to be sustainable from its own funds, and that put us in a category of clubs that probably we are not used to being in.

"Maybe 10 years ago, we would be able to rival the Arsenals and Manchester Citys and Chelseas of this world in terms of transfers.

"But that looks difficult at the moment until such times as we grow the club and show on the pitch that we can bring some success, then hopefully keep our better players and build on that.

"Unfortunately, the business of this Premier League makes it difficult. These top clubs can come and grab our players and until such time as we are financially strong enough to hold off sovereign states, we are going to have a problem."

Contrast that to what our then manager said about us a mere 3 and a half seasons ago..

By Simon Bird 19/01/2008

Kevin Keegan

Kevin Keegan sounded his Newcastle battle-cry last night and insisted: 'We can break the top four'.

The United boss threw down the gauntlet to Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool by declaring Newcastle are the only club who can mount a serious bid to smash their dominance.

And in his inspirational first team-talk, Keegan, who revealed he will speak to Alan Shearer about a coaching role, told his stars to "respect the institution of Newcastle United, deliver what the fans want, and you will be heroes".

Keegan returned to St James' Park as boss 11 years after his first spell ended and vowed to recreate the magic that earned him the nickname Messiah.

He will be given a hero's welcome today in his first game back against Bolton and is itching to get started.

"We have to deliver the dream," said Keegan. "I believe we are one of very few who can challenge the top four. We are one of the biggest clubs outside that big four, if not the biggest. I don't know if they will be fearing or quaking but we are a challenge to them. We have the support, we have the backing.

"The top four have dominated in the last five years. That shows how difficult it is to get into the elite group but we have to give it a go."

Keegan also revealed that after talks with owner Mike Ashley he will have no problem financing any transfer targets he indentifies.

"Having met Mike, I know what his ambition is," Keegan added. "If we want to bring someone here and he is right us, and I go and ask Mike, I'll get the finance."

Didn't he say after the Chelsea game that we were nowhere near them either?

I think I would feel better about this season if Pardew hadn't given a single interview since he arrived. It's death by a thousand cuts.

It's him or no one. He does his best imo but he gets hung out to dry.

I think I would feel better about this season if Pardew hadn't given a single interview since he arrived. It's death by a thousand cuts.

It's him or no one. He does his best imo but he gets hung out to dry.

I'd normally be sympathetic, but he knew the score when he arrived. He is paid to mislead.

What gets me is all these new players coming in commenting about being impressed with the level of ambition of the club. What are they telling them to convince them to come here? Also, most of our recent departures have commented about broken promises and lies in the media regarding their contract situation etc. I find it baffling that so many on here can defend bad decision after bad decision from Ashley & Co, when it's glaringly obvious they are taking us all along for a ride..

By Ben Collins.   Last Updated: August 11, 2011 5:51pm

New understanding

By Simon Bird 19/01/2008

Kevin Keegan

He found out what Ashley & Co are really about by then.. The penny seemingly still hasn't dropped for you more than three years later..  :pow:

What gets me is all these new players coming in commenting about being impressed with the level of ambition of the club. What are they telling them to convince them to come here? Also, most of our recent departures have commented about broken promises and lies in the media regarding their contract situation etc. I find it baffling that so many on here can defend bad decision after bad decision from Ashley & Co, when it's glaringly obvious they are taking us all along for a ride..

Even without the ones who have left, Krul, Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Ba, etc. is the core of a good solid top 8 squad. If players want to leave that then that's their choice but we're still attractive.

By Ben Collins.   Last Updated: August 11, 2011 5:51pm

New understanding

By Simon Bird 19/01/2008

Kevin Keegan

He found out what Ashley & Co are really about by then.. The penny seemingly still hasn't dropped for you more than three years later..  :pow:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7368688.stm

Nothing to do with Ashley, the whole interview was spot on.

Even without the ones who have left, Krul, Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Ba, etc. is the core of a good solid top 8 squad. If players want to leave that then that's their choice but we're still attractive.

Besides from Cabaye and Ben Arfa, which of those players has been proven as capable at playing consistently in a top 8 side of any European league, let alone the Premiership..? Even then, those 2 have it all to prove in the Prem.

Not sure that makes any difference tbh. Any player looking at those 6-7 will recognise them and think it's a good team to join.

Also found this from Keegan in that Chelsea interview...oh how wrong he was. :lol:

"Maybe the owner thinks we can bridge that gap - but we can't."

New understanding

By Simon Bird 19/01/2008

Kevin Keegan

He found out what Ashley & Co are really about by then.. The penny seemingly still hasn't dropped for you more than three years later..  :pow:

Really miss Kev..

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan fears the domination of the Premier League's top four is a threat to the top flight.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool will again head the division for the third season running as they leave the rest trailing in their wake.

"Maybe the owner thinks we can bridge that gap - but we can't," said Keegan after Monday's 2-0 loss to Chelsea.

"This league is in danger of becoming one of the most boring but great leagues in the world."

Keegan replaced Sam Allardyce at St James' Park in January and his comments will have extra resonance as he is renowned as one of the game's eternal optimists.

He feels fifth is the best the clubs outside the 'big four' can realistically aim for - even with plenty of funds.

606: DEBATE

Comment: Keegan wrong about 'boring' Premier League

"The top four next year will be the same top four as this year," he added.

"What I can say to the Newcastle fans is that we will be trying to get fifth and we will be trying to win the other league that's going on within the Premier League.

"I haven't got enough money and I wouldn't be able to get the players anyway (to do any better than that), so I will soldier on with what I've got and maybe add one or two, maybe three, depending what's available."

Keegan turned Newcastle into title contenders when he managed them from February 1992 until January 1997 but he feels it is not possible to do the same again.

His opinion was reinforced during the Bank Holiday game against Chelsea, who clinched the win to move level on points with Manchester United at the top of the table ahead of the final game of the season.

"I thought, 'What can I do next year to get near them' and the truth is there's nothing I can do at all," stated Keegan.

It is frustrating that Modric, like Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London and European football with Tottenham next season

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort

"I was looking around thinking, 'who can I bring on' and I'm seeing (Andriy) Shevchenko and (Frank) Lampard coming on and Joe Cole thinking about coming on."

Keegan has, however, been promised funds to attract big-name signings.

"Over the summer, we will look to strengthen the squad further," said chairman Chris Mort.

"In addition to immediate fixes, we will want to acquire players that can help make Newcastle United a top team for the medium and long term."

Newcastle have already missed out on the signing of midfielder Luka Modric, who rejected a lucrative offer to join Tottenham instead, just as Jonathan Woodgate did in January.

But Mort is confident that Newcastle are heading in the right direction and that they will soon be in a position to attract players like the 22-year-old Croatian international.

"It is frustrating that Modric, like Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London and European football with Tottenham next season," conceded Mort.

"But these are the sorts of difficulties that should get easier to address once we build a squad that competes at the right end of the table."

And Keegan is positive he will get the funds he needs from owner Mike Ashley to improve his squad, saying: "I have no proof of that yet but I have no doubts he will (back me).

"If I can get three or four players in to add to what I have got here - and we have that bit of luck you need with no injuries to key players - then we might be able to win the second division of the Premier League."

Not sure that makes any difference tbh. Any player looking at those 6-7 will recognise them and think it's a good team to join.

Also found this from Keegan in that Chelsea interview...oh how wrong he was. :lol:

Took Ashley just 6 months to break the spirit of the man..

Took Ashley just 6 months to break the spirit of the man..

If you read the interview you'll see it had nowt to do with that. He was just a realist. Only now though with City & Spurs, top 4 is top 6.

New understanding

By Simon Bird 19/01/2008

Kevin Keegan

Ironically, Ashley begged to differ:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/09/keegansurvivesashleytalks?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487