Alan Pardew

JH

If he says 100% with regards signing a striker, then we don't sign a f***ing striker then of course he's a liar. Do you even know what 100% means?

Come off it man! What exactly does he stand to gain from deliberately lying?? Do you think he lies to appease the fans? And what if he came out and said we weren;t likely to bring a striker, it's not like there would be mass riots of NUFC fans invading the training ground and smashing his head in!

I just can't see what he would gain. In fact he'd have been better off playing down speculation, and keeping expectations as low as possible, had he known for a fact that we wouldn't be recruiting a forward!

Why would we be so utterly f***ed if Pardew went? We seemed to be doing fine before he came, had a perfectly average spring season and to be frank, had 3 lucky results playing planless hoofball.

Excellent results now in august but honestly they dont reflect how we have played at all.

Pardew is a decent manager but his track record before he came here is very underwhelming, seems like he is the tyneside version of Guardiola for a couple of lads on this forum already..

Who else would work under Ashley/Llambias?

The board string-along Pardew as much as they do the fans, and he knows it. Most of the aforementioned soundbites such as "100% certain to get a striker" were made to put pressure on the board in the hope that they'd feel that they had to do the business; not to appease the fans.

The 100% stuff was probably to put extra pressure on MA an DL to try and make sure they get the deals done.

Blaming him for anything other than results and performances (and he's doing ok) is bullshit.

Forgot about that possibility. Spot on I reckon.

Guest Rainforest

If he says 100% with regards signing a striker, then we don't sign a f***ing striker then of course he's a liar. Do you even know what 100% means?

Come off it man! What exactly does he stand to gain from deliberately lying?? Do you think he lies to appease the fans? And what if he came out and said we weren;t likely to bring a striker, it's not like there would be mass riots of NUFC fans invading the training ground and smashing his head in!

I just can't see what he would gain. In fact he'd have been better off playing down speculation, and keeping expectations as low as possible, had he known for a fact that we wouldn't be recruiting a forward!

you seem to think very highly of him. For me, its just not believeable that during the 8-month period where we supposedly were preparing the "Carroll-replacement", Pardew were also taken for a year long scam-ride.

He must have known that there were noone in the pipeline, I just cannot think of a scenario where Pardew were not in on it - apart from those Memes :lol:

Why would we be so utterly f***ed if Pardew went? We seemed to be doing fine before he came, had a perfectly average spring season and to be frank, had 3 lucky results playing planless hoofball.

Excellent results now in august but honestly they dont reflect how we have played at all.

Pardew is a decent manager but his track record before he came here is very underwhelming, seems like he is the tyneside version of Guardiola for a couple of lads on this forum already..

f***s sake man, just give over. Complete bollocks. He's done good enough so far, why the f*** would anyone want him rid by now? Except those ignorant people who thinks we should sack him for "lying".

I agree that changing the manager this season is the one thing that will likely see us in relegation trouble, but look at the circumstances in which Pardew arrived.  Plucked from the League 1 scrapheap and given a 5 and a half year contract - I find it difficult to believe that he's not aware that he'll have to feed the fans bullshit on a regular basis, or even if you're being kind to him that he didn't have an inkling that he couldn't take what MA and DL said at face value.

As I say though, I agree that him leaving any time soon would probably be disastrous.  It's a depressing state of affairs.

Still think he knows exactly what the score is and spins it to the fans. Deliberately obtuse in interviews and wings it with cliches and lies. He knew what he was walking into, who he was working for and is happy enough to go along with it. 

Absolutely midds. Beggars belief that anyone can defend him after this summer. I don't deny that we'd be fucked without him... I think we're fucked either way after yesterday. He has known the score from day one, indeed it's the reason he got the job.

If he's been lied to that much, then walk. We all know he hasn't. This is the job he was employed to do.

Fucking Bingo!

I agree that changing the manager this season is the one thing that will likely see us in relegation trouble, but look at the circumstances in which Pardew arrived.  Plucked from the League 2 scrapheap and given a 5 and a half year contract - I find it difficult to believe that he's not aware that he'll have to feed the fans bullshit on a regular basis, or even if you're being kind to him that he didn't have an inkling that he couldn't take what MA and DL said at face value.

As I say though, I agree that him leaving any time soon would probably be disastrous.  It's a depressing state of affairs.

Fucking Double Bingo - they got their yes man who wasn't as mental as the last one.

Guest Rainforest

Pardew is probably the best we can get / realistically hope for under the circumstances, that much is true.

When he is the only manager in the country who would actually work for these muppets, that isnt saying much though.

I'd say Pardew has done a good job on the football side, in terms of players brought in, team selection, preparation of the players, tactics etc

However, in his public comments on other matters, he seems to try and adopt a sort of middle ground, between the players and the owner, and between the fans and the owner. When Joey was in dispute and generally going off the rails, he seemed to be acting more like a go-between than a boss. Likewise these comments about how he's trying to persuade Ashley / Llambias to buy a player for this, that or the other role just make him look weak in the end. It's like he's trying to placate the player or the fans, or look like the people's champion.

It just doesn't work. I'm sure Ferguson or Wenger have their differences of opinion and frustrations with their respective owners, but they never get into the Pardew game of 'hey, really I'm on your side you know'. At the same time, no-one could accuse them of being yes-men. They just realise that pleading for understanding or support actually makes them look weak.

Whether anyone could have brought Joey round from the path that he took after January is unclear, but I do think Pardew made one unholy mess of his role. He tried to be publicly neutral and a sympathetic ear for Joey, and ended up being completely ineffective. He acted like he had a good relationship with Joey but from what I could see the player wasn't taking one blind bit of notice of him.

And of course, there's the danger that you'll end up saying one thing to the owner, and another thing to the player or the fans, and end up looking two-faced.

Guest michaelfoster

Just looking at our previous permanent managers win % from September 1999 - present in the league & cups

Bobby Robson - 46.6% from 255 games

Graeme Souness - 44.8% from 87 games

Glenn Roeder - 45.8% from 72 games

Sam Allardyce - 33.3% from 24 games

Kevin Keegan - 28.5% from 21 games

Joe Kinnear - 22.2% from 18 games

Chris Hughton - 59.3% from 64 games (36.8% from 19 games in his Premier League season)

Alan Pardew - 32.2% from 31 games

Results and performances on the pitch don't matter then? I was under the impression that was quite a large part of a managers job

By the looks of the responses of some people in here, I guess I'm wrong.

Results have been despite the performances this season so far though.  We've seen nothing of the alleged new system that was going to give us greater posession, but have managed to ride our luck and grind out results against the run of play.  Allardyce had a fantastic start to the season statistically, but we all remember the shite that was served up in those early matches and how it turned to shit after one negative result.

Results and performances on the pitch don't matter then? I was under the impression that was quite a large part of a managers job

I honestly don't think he's done that amazing a job on the pitch.  The second half of last season was not nearly as bad as I'd feared but it's hardly something that I'd call progress.  There were some fucking minging performances after he arrived imo, and we drew far too many games which seemed to paper over the cracks somewhat.

We have 7 points from the first 3 games and I'm absolutely delighted with that, but truth be told we haven't played that well yet.  I do think he's doing an OK job under the circumstances as it happens, but when people mention 'on the pitch' stuff with Pardew you'd have thought we'd came on leaps and bounds under his leadership.

On field he gets a 6 from me, off field a 2 or a 3.  As a person, I cannot stand him.

Whatever side of the fence people are on...one thing that's for sure...his no show on his self-proclaimed judgement day is weak arsed. Cowardly, even.

Yep.

Should have at the very least spoke to the supporters first thing this morning.

Nobody can argue with the points tally so far but equally nobody can say we're playing well. We're creating little, the 'new system' simply doesn't exist and Tim Krul is the only reason we have the points we have and the only reason we're still in the cup.

Whatever side of the fence people are on...one thing that's for sure...his no show on his self-proclaimed judgement day is weak arsed. Cowardly, even.

Yep.

Should have at the very least spoke to the supporters first thing this morning.

I do find it strange like - he likes a bit chat normally, does Alan.

Results have been despite the performances this season so far though.  We've seen nothing of the alleged new system that was going to give us greater posession, but have managed to ride our luck and grind out results against the run of play.  Allardyce had a fantastic start to the season statistically, but we all remember the shite that was served up in those early matches and how it turned to shit after one negative result.

So we're just judging him on three games, last season never happened.

That's despite having lost the backbone of the team, having to bed in new players and a nightmare of a pre-season for various reasons.

Not saying he's Guardiola like. But he deserves a chance.