Alan Pardew

JH

Did I just hear that right on Radio Newcastle? Basically, Pardew has admitted there'll likely be some big departures in Jan?

Seems at least one of Krul, Tiote and Colo will be cashed in on.

Absolutely inexcusable if true. Tiote would be my guess. Krul to follow in the summer.

you're in for a shock

Did I just hear that right on Radio Newcastle? Basically, Pardew has admitted there'll likely be some big departures in Jan?

Absolutely inexcusable if true. Tiote would be my guess. Krul to follow in the summer.

you're in for a shock

Don't worry mate, I'm not shocked. Just can't see how that would equate to responsible business. And of course we won't get a replacement, but it's OK because we got away with it last season!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He's been saying that for a few weeks now. That he has to prepare himself for another 'Andy Carroll' situation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/26/alan-pardew-newcastle

Alan Pardew has conceded he may lose one of his key players during the January transfer window. The Newcastle United manager knows Chelsea are one of several clubs casting covetous eyes at Cheik Tioté, his Ivorian midfield enforcer, while the France playmaker Yohan Cabaye and the Argentina central defender Fabricio Coloccini also have their admirers.

"You're talking about Newcastle United – nothing is certain here," said Pardew, who is determined to do everything in his power to keep his high-flying squad together.

"We could lose one of our great players, who knows? Some of the financial decisions are taken out of my hands. I want to strengthen in one or two areas but we'll have to be on our guard against one of our best players going when the window opens. You can never think you're OK. I learned that in my days at West Ham, but the Andy Carroll thing brought that home more vividly than most things."

After Pardew had repeatedly reiterated that Carroll would be going nowhere last January, the striker was sold to Liverpool for £35m on transfer deadline day.

"January is a horrible time," he said. "I don't think there's a Premier League manager, if he was honest with himself, who says he enjoys that period. Everyone starts manoeuvring and jostling, people get busy around the players. Agents want to earn their money around that period and they don't do themselves any credit in my view. It's horrible.

"I actually preferred the old system, where there was no windows, where you could buy and sell at almost any time. I think that's a free market, I think that's how the world works – why are we different? I don't know.

"I think the change to winter and summer windows was trying to take the advantage away from the bigger clubs but I don't think that's worked. It unsettles every club – not just me.

"Every manager in the Premier League, no matter where you are, your best player will be being approached. And the way the system is – that you can't negotiate directly – means you have to have a middleman."

you're in for a shock

Don't worry mate, I'm not shocked. Just can't see how that would equate to responsible business. And of course we won't get a replacement, but it's OK because we got away with it last season!

there'll be plenty of excuses knocking around on here pal

Guest sicko2ndbest

Spurs have done exactly the same to get to the point where they are now

Berbatov 31mil,

Carrick 18mil

Keane 18mil

If its for the greater good, then so be it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Bale will be next.

Modric/Bale. Not much cjange out of 100mil there. That type of money could make them serious challengers with the right re-investment

If we keep bringing players in of good quality and fight to keep players as much as possible I'll be happy, I don't want us to be caught short by losing a player to a huge bid and have no replacement again.

I desperately hope though we fight tooth and nail to keep the core of our team together.

Krul can't be sold. Simple as that. If anybody is leaving, it "should be" Tioté. Unfortunately, we still have £28.5m from the Carroll sale left, so we'll be selling just to use the money we gained from the last sale. Urgh.

Actually I think Pardew is saying that "there'll be big departures in January" so that he can avoid another Carroll situation ("they can put as many bids as they want, Andy is staying").

I think Pardew's quotes are, in a way preparing us, for the worst possibly :undecided:

"this is newcastle" is his code for I have bastards above who would sell my best players for a cheap buck. I want him to say money will be swiftly reinvested smartly though. If we want to not just be raiding a bit above ourselves the top 4 next season we need a thicker squad, we can't operate a 1 in 1 out policy.

Who exactly has been sold on the cheap? Enrique perhaps but he was in last year of contract and was never going to sign a new deal

Doesn't matter how much we sell for when we aren't re-investing anything.

I understand that but if MA is going to sell he doesn't exactly just take the first bid, even when we were relegated we got more money for Bassong & Martins etc than most thought we would get.

Berbatov 31mil,

Carrick 18mil

Keane 18mil

They sold all those players during the summer window. Not mid-season with a threadbare squad and failing to bring in replacements. Their policy was/is a world away from ours.

Guest iheartthetoons

Berbatov 31mil,

Carrick 18mil

Keane 18mil

They sold all those players during the summer window. Not mid-season with a threadbare squad and failing to bring in replacements. Their policy was/is a world away from ours.

Well they sold Berb on last day of the summer window. As bad in my book.

AP: "Andy Carroll will not be sold"

*Andy Carroll sold*

Fans: "I can't believe he lied. I wish he'd just be honest about it."

*12 months later*

AP: "We might struggle to hold onto our better players"

Fans: "WTF? Howay man Pardew!!!1"

:lol:

Well, as I've said a couple of times: I guess the board and AP rated Carroll at 20-25m... Noone expected a bid like Liverpool made to tick in, and therefore they said not for sale (at his value) When the bid was made, they could of course not afford to turn it down. The same goes for Messi, if Barca receive a offer above his value. Let's say 100mill and his prob off...