Alan Pardew

JH

Guest sicko2ndbest

That big club article really pisses me off

Structurally yes

Financially no. Everything about us is small time. He cant keep talking about us not being able to compete and then come out with this shit.

I know damned if he does damned if he dosnt, but he cant have it both ways

I think it took balls to throw Vuckic into this game. Unfortunately it was a gamble which didn't pay off.  He doesn't seem the hardest worker to me and if you want a flair player to link with midfield, why not start Ben Arfa? Again I'm left wondering if there is something that has happened behind the scenes because Ben Arfa came off the bench a few days earlier and helped us beat Bolton with a vital goal. If he wanted a harder worker against Liverpool why pick Vuckic? It makes no sense.

I think the better team won over the 90 mins but the scoreline flatters Liverpool who were poor. At 1-1 we were a bit negative and the free-kick did change things, he's right. I don't see a lot wrong with his comments to be honest but I think starting Vuckic over Ben Arfa was a strange decision.

We need to find a replacement for Ba from within the club and we have very little time in which to do it. Pardew himself said he wants Ben Arfa to step up when Ba leaves. So in the bigger picture it makes even less sense that the guy can't get games. Obertan's injury will perhaps force Pardew to pick both. We'll be in trouble when Ba is gone unless someone hits a streak of form and the only man I see capable of doing that is Ben Arfa, IF he gets a run in the team which he has actually never had.

Alan Pardew targets European football

Jan 1 2012 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

ALAN Pardew has admitted for the first time that European football is a realistic aim for Newcastle THIS season.

But the Toon boss knows that United need to emerge from a treacherous six weeks still in “seventh or eighth” to be in with a realistic shout of qualifying for the Europa League.

Pardew and his players have been at pains to play down United’s top seven hopes this season, and the Newcastle manager continued to talk of surpassing the 40-point safety mark right up until the Bolton game.

They reached 30 points at the Reebok and with results going for them over Christmas they will be sat in seventh – usually enough for European football – at the turn of the year. However, in an indication of the club’s growing confidence Pardew (pictured) has now admitted to the Sunday Sun that he believes European football should be on the agenda moving into the second half of the season.

“I think we’ve got ourselves in a position where its possible that we could have European football,” he said. “I think that’s something we’re going to have to look to try to chase if we can. If we can come out the other side of the African Nations Cup seventh or eighth I think we could have a good chance.” That is a big ‘if’ though - especially as United lose both Demba Ba and Cheik Tiote to the African Nations Cup in January.

The Toon boss looks to have lost his fight to keep the pair at St James’ Park until January 15 and he knows that life will be tough without either in the New Year.

That situation is complicated even more with top four vultures looking at Newcastle’s best players – with Tiote and Tim Krul already linked with big-money moves away from St James’ Park.

“We’ll have to wait and see what happens in that two months (around Janaury) – it’s a very difficult period for us in terms of 2012. To lose two of your best players is tough,” he admitted. Pardew will be keeping his fingers crossed that the January transfer window doesn’t bring further upheaval for United. They want one defender but have ruled out bringing in a striker.

There will hopefully be no outgoings but Pardew cannot conclusively rule anything out at the moment.

Newcastle are not advanced in their moves for any defenders yet.

”You never know – you just don’t know. You can’t predict it,” he said. “We certainly haven’t done a deal yet. We’ve approached a couple of clubs for prices and that’s it.

“Every manager does (hate January). It unsettles the group, the media have to sell papers so they speculate and players take it as read if they’re not wanted, they’re off or somebody else exciting wants them.

“The grass isn’t always greener, though.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/2012/01/01/alan-pardew-targets-european-football-79310-30040983/

It's the apparent lack of a Plan B that worries me.

Against Swansea it was pretty obvious that the starting tactics, get the ball to the wingers & have them swing in crosses from the by-line, wasn't working.  They were playing pretty deep and our crosses were generally poor (as ever).  He could have brought HBA on (even Vuckic too, not sure if he was on the bench that day) and pushed Cabaye further up with instructions for them to start hitting shots from range.  Sooner or later you're going to get a deflection or lucky ricochet.  Alternatively, Jonas, HBA and even Obertan are decent dribblers, why not have the wingers start cutting inside and running at the defence?  Swansea were well organised but Jonas and HBA are experienced international players, they'd have won free-kicks and created more chances than just hitting poor crosses in all the time.

Pardew's Plan B against Swansea was to do exactly the same thing that wasn't working but this time with players he didn't think were good enough to start the game.

Against West Brom it was clear that we were getting screwed by pace at the back and by playing so far up the pitch we were creating our own problems.  Why didn't he instruct the defenders to sit further back so their quick players had no space to run into?  Again, Pardew's Plan B was to do exactly what we were already doing but with different personnel.

Liverpool was the same, the tactics weren't working.  Plan B was to swap personnel like-for-like and continue doing the same thing that wasn't working.

Whilst he's been willing to change the starting tactics in a few games, he seems incapable of changing tactics once the game has kicked off if it has become clear that the initial tactics aren't working.  Most of our problems have been of our own making which gives me hope that with work on the training ground we can improve but Pardew needs to start learning from mistakes and not simply try the same thing over and over when it's clear it isn't working.

I'd be interested to see if he had two fullbacks he trusted whether he would still be this negative. I think he probably would. We'll never find out with Ashley holding the transfer funds any way.

Time for Ferguson & Santon if both fit. We can give the ball to defenders other than Colo then. Would transform our build up and support play.

I'd be interested to see if he had two fullbacks he trusted whether he would still be this negative. I think he probably would. We'll never find out with Ashley holding the transfer funds any way.

Time for Ferguson & Santon if both fit. We can give the ball to defenders other than Colo then. Would transform our build up and support play.

Don't under estimate the loss of Saylor in this respect, he was playing it out of defence a lot.

I'm not sure how he thinks we can push on for a Europa Cup place, without significant investment? Geordie Beano is suggesting that he's got £8million to spend this window, which won't go far!

Not if that includes 4 yeas wages too

I believe we can push on for a Europa league place without significant investment.

We already have the players capable, we're just either a) Not using them or b) Wrong tactics employed.

If we had Ben Arfa on the pitch and Obertan on the bench, and stuck the ball on the bottom and cut out the long ball crap, we'd look significantly stronger.

From a purely results based point of view it's difficult to argue with Pardew this season. It's our second campaign since returning to the top flight and we're sitting in seventh place just four points behind the top six. Despite such form I'd be lying if I said serious concerns hadn't begun to emerge during our recent run of games.

In truth we haven't played particularly well since our monumental performance at Stoke. We ground out a result against Everton, put pay to a shocking Bolton side and produced some quite brilliant last ditch defending at Old Trafford, but all without looking particularly convincing. The fine tuned, well drilled performances which Pardew deserved so much credit for have seemingly given way to mistake riddled snooze-fests with seemingly little or no game plan in action.

It's my theory that Pardew is trying too hard to solidify us at the back again. I think it was post-match Swansea during which Pardew talked of us trying to become a unit again. Of course there's nothing wrong with this in theory, but it's starting to seriously affect the way we compete in matches.  We're dropping too deep, the wingers look reluctant to get forward, Cabaye isn't influencing games in the opposition's half, we're panicing on the ball. A lack of confidence combined with this desperation to remain solid at the back culminated in a woeful performance at Liverpool.

Clean sheets come from confidence, confidence comes from results, results come from playing your best players, something which simply isn't happening. Pardew needs to stop worrying whether Santon speaks fluent Geordie or if Ben Arfa is going to play box to box for ninety minutes and get them in the side. Similarly we need to develop an effective attacking game plan. We've got a striker who's bang in form and he's spending large parts of the game watching the ball sail over his head. This has seemingly developed from a complete lack of confidence in the wide players, if that is the case it's Pardew's job to sort it. Try Jonas on the right and Ben Arfa on the left perhaps? Or if he's that concerned about Ben Arfa's fitness, stick Sammy on the left and shift Jonas to the right. Sammy is far from an ideal but he can't be any worse than the man from Area 51.

During the first half of the season we've built a very good foundation to push on have a go at that top six. However some cracks are starting to emerge which need maitianing before they become too damaging. Pardew's obsession with the defensive side of the game has seen our biggest attacking talent sat on the bench, our influential 'quaterback' reluctant to leave his own half and our in-form striker with neck ache. Clean sheets will come with confidence, the kind of confidence we had when we were playing with a purposeful gameplan. It needs sorting sooner rather than later.

From a purely results based point of view it's difficult to argue with Pardew this season. It's our second campaign since returning to the top flight and we're sitting in seventh place just four points behind the top six. Despite such form I'd be lying if I said serious concerns hadn't begun to emerge during our recent run of games.

In truth we haven't played particularly well since our monumental performance at Stoke. We ground out a result against Everton, put pay to a shocking Bolton side and produced some quite brilliant last ditch defending at Old Trafford, but all without looking particularly convincing. The fine tuned, well drilled performances which Pardew deserved so much credit for have seemingly given way to mistake riddled snooze-fests with seemingly little or no game plan in action.

It's my theory that Pardew is trying too hard to solidify us at the back again. I think it was post-match Swansea during which Pardew talked of us trying to become a unit again. Of course there's nothing wrong with this in theory, but it's starting to seriously affect the way we compete in matches.  We're dropping too deep, the wingers look reluctant to get forward, Cabaye isn't influencing games in the opposition's half, we're panicing on the ball. A lack of confidence combined with this desperation to remain solid at the back culminated in a woeful performance at Liverpool.

Clean sheets come from confidence, confidence comes from results, results come from playing your best players, something which simply isn't happening. Pardew needs to stop worrying whether Santon speaks fluent Geordie or if Ben Arfa is going to play box to box for ninety minutes and get them in the side. Similarly we need to develop an effective attacking game plan. We've got a striker who's bang in form and he's spending large parts of the game watching the ball sail over his head. This has seemingly developed from a complete lack of confidence in the wide players, if that is the case it's Pardew's job to sort it. Try Jonas on the right and Ben Arfa on the left perhaps? Or if he's that concerned about Ben Arfa's fitness, stick Sammy on the left and shift Jonas to the right. Sammy is far from an ideal but he can't be any worse than the man from Area 51.

During the first half of the season we've built a very good foundation to push on have a go at that top six. However some cracks are starting to emerge which need maitianing before they become too damaging. Pardew's obsession with the defensive side of the game has seen our biggest attacking talent sat on the bench, our influential 'quaterback' reluctant to leave his own half and our in-form striker with neck ache. Clean sheets will come with confidence, the kind of confidence we had when we were playing with a purposeful gameplan. It needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Good post.

His hands are probably tied but his stance on fullbacks and lack of ball playing centre halves are the major concerns regarding his stewardship IMO. as dreadful as I believe the likes of obertan have been their game would be drastically improved by playing players who actually want to receive the ball at the back. Sets the precedent for the entire setup.

Spot on :thup:

It was the last 20 or so minutes of the Chelsea game that destroyed our confidence and started this obsession with defence IMO. Chelsea could have had 5 or 6 after Taylor hobbled off.

I'm not sure we've ever had a purposeful gameplan, other than to defend in numbers and see what happens when we get the ball. Even during the early run of good results we have never really dominated the midfield area with fluent passing and getting numbers in the box. At the moment the team isn't really set up to play passing football as you need ball playing full backs and good wide players to support the central midfielders.

Pardew tried to make the change when he threw Vukic into the fray but without changing the problem wide positions it was pointless. I expect us to revert to 4-4-2 with two big men for the Man U game as it's the gameplan Pardew knows best and it can accommodate shite full backs. Probably sensible as well if that's all he knows.

Guest bimpy474

I'm not sure we've ever had a purposeful gameplan, other than to defend in numbers and see what happens when we get the ball. Even during the early run of good results we have never really dominated the midfield area with fluent passing and getting numbers in the box. At the moment the team isn't really set up to play passing football as you need ball playing full backs and good wide players to support the central midfielders.

Pardew tried to make the change when he threw Vukic into the fray but without changing the problem wide positions it was pointless. I expect us to revert to 4-4-2 with two big men for the Man U game as it's the gameplan Pardew knows best and it can accommodate shite full backs. Probably sensible as well if that's all he knows.

Spot on and Cabaye is suffering for it, if we played 3 in the middle we would see much more of him as an attacking force, but it'll be back to old 4-4-2 :(

TRon, I often wondered, how come you didn't put yourself forward for one of the coaching roles at a league club? Seems a shame to let your qualifications and experience go to waste, especially with a track record like yours.

There's a bit of history re-writing going on there like. Earlier on in the season we set up to exploit teams weaknesses as well as nullify their strengths, we've seemingly restored to soley attempting the latter now. We played some good stuff in a lot of those games too.

There's a bit of history re-writing going on there like. Earlier on in the season we set up to exploit teams weaknesses as well as nullify their strengths, we've seemingly restored to solely attempting the latter now. We played some good stuff in a lot of those games too.

I would say that's true, but only in disparate patches. A lot of the early games we had really good spells and capitalised on them well, but watch that first half vs Fulham. Watch the second half vs Wolves. Sunderland first half. Wigan first half. We won all those games, so it wasn't addressed (or even allowed to be recognised by the "but we're still unbeaten therefore you can't complain" sections).

I understand you can't exploit opposition weaknesses all game long, and that if you have a lead there's a time to not go as gung-ho going forward - but just in terms of general possession - we were outplayed in games we won for significant stretches of those matches IMO.

There's a bit of history re-writing going on there like. Earlier on in the season we set up to exploit teams weaknesses as well as nullify their strengths, we've seemingly restored to solely attempting the latter now. We played some good stuff in a lot of those games too.

I would say that's true, but only in disparate patches. A lot of the early games we had really good spells and capitalised on them well, but watch that first half vs Fulham. Watch the second half vs Wolves. Sunderland first half. Wigan first half. We won all those games, so it wasn't addressed (or even allowed to be recognised by the "but we're still unbeaten therefore you can't complain" sections).

I understand you can't exploit opposition weaknesses all game long, and that if you have a lead there's a time to not go as gung-ho going forward - but just in terms of general possession - we were outplayed in games we won for significant stretches of those matches IMO.

I'm not arguing we dominated the games in question, more that there was a form of attacking game plan as opposed to the current trash we're serving up. We kept the ball, we at least tried to use the wide players and Ba got the ball at his feet (so much so he played a deeper role in a lot of games). Now we're simply playing to contain it would seem. Cabaye is playing too deep, the wide players are having to come narrow to receive the ball, so when we do get it there's nothing on and we're resorting to pinging it at Ba's head, desperately hoping he makes something out of it.

Guest Howaythetoon

We can play football, we have the players. Away to Liverpool the other night for about a 10 minute spell they couldn't get the ball off of us, our lot making something like 35 passes in succession. Good post by Prophet by the way, a more measured and constructive analysis of things than my own critical and angry analysis. Although I still believe unless Pardew suddenly gains some tactical nous and starts picking the right team, we are going to continue in the same vein we have been playing since the Chelsea defeat, rather than the form we were in prior to that.

We can play football, we have the players. Away to Liverpool the other night for about a 10 minute spell they couldn't get the ball off of us, our lot making something like 35 passes in succession. Good post by Prophet by the way, a more measured and constructive analysis of things than my own critical and angry analysis. Although I still believe unless Pardew suddenly gains some tactical nous and starts picking the right team, we are going to continue in the same vein we have been playing since the Chelsea defeat, rather than the form we were in prior to that.

since that spell of games at citeh,man utd and chelsea, pardew does seem to be running scared in his selections and tactics.