Alan Pardew

JH

"goals that we haven't conceded all year" ~ hope he doesn't really believe that, and that he has a look back at them (and the WBA game) and realises it's not just 'one of those things'.

The thing is, the goals we conceded against WBA were when we'd pushed up and got caught by their pace behind our defenders. Today, if we hadn't given Dempsey and Johnson so much empty space to attack would we have conceded 5 goals in 45 mins? It's probably the only way they were going to score IMO.

hindsight is a wonderful thing. all season we've played a similar game of not a high or deep line but a one most defences do of reacting to where the oppo are. for every fulham and WBA there have been wolves and mackems.

But you can't play the same way against every team, you have to nullify their threat while maximising your own. The threat Fulham posed was the speed of their strikers like WBA. Up front we matched Shola against the giant Hangelaand. Hindsight is wonderful but foresight is better.

did you see the first half ?

Yes I did. How did that help in the second half?

"goals that we haven't conceded all year" ~ hope he doesn't really believe that, and that he has a look back at them (and the WBA game) and realises it's not just 'one of those things'.

The thing is, the goals we conceded against WBA were when we'd pushed up and got caught by their pace behind our defenders. Today, if we hadn't given Dempsey and Johnson so much empty space to attack would we have conceded 5 goals in 45 mins? It's probably the only way they were going to score IMO.

hindsight is a wonderful thing. all season we've played a similar game of not a high or deep line but a one most defences do of reacting to where the oppo are. for every fulham and WBA there have been wolves and mackems.

But you can't play the same way against every team, you have to nullify their threat while maximising your own. The threat Fulham posed was the speed of their strikers like WBA. Up front we matched Shola against the giant Hangelaand. Hindsight is wonderful but foresight is better.

the way we played in the first half shouldn't have helped our second half ?

We went 1-0 up away from home in the first half against a team which is usually only effective on the counter attack utilising pacey strikers. Why would we want to play into their hands by giving their strikers the room to thrive?

A worrying trend is that barring the West Brom defeat, the losses in the league this season have all had a total fucking implosion for a few minutes following the opposition scoring when the whole team has had a massive panic attack that has ended up with an impossible task to bring any positive result from the ruins and a total fucking disaster of a result.  The Chelsea implosion was at the end of the match when the game was already lost but the same headless chicken mode kicked in once the second goal went in.

We went 1-0 up away from home in the first half against a team which is usually only effective on the counter attack utilising pacey strikers. Why would we want to play into their hands by giving their strikers the room to thrive?

maybe cos we dominated it in the first half, set out to do exactly the same in the second half, then shit our pants when they got a soft equaliser.

We shouldn't have been trying to play that easy in the second half with Johnson on though really. Easy to say in hindsight I know but certainly the incident with Santon just after we took the lead should have had us discussing how to deal with the arrival of Johnson's pace at half time.

Was thinking about Pardew and his tactics as I was trying to get to sleep last night. I concluded that his strength is foresight, meticulous planning and preparation.

Where he seems to fall down though, and quite consistently it has to be said, is in adaptability. When our opponents change their system he seems bemused as to how to cope. If and when he thinks of a solution the horse has already bolted.

Man-management issues aside, for we don't really know yet how good or not he is at that, I wonder how the cleverer players will react to the lack of instruction and direction from the touchlines. I dare say a few of them had a good idea what was happening yesterday.

Was thinking about Pardew and his tactics as I was trying to get to sleep last night. I concluded that his strength is foresight, meticulous planning and preparation.

Where he seems to fall down though, and quite consistently it has to be said, is in adaptability. When our opponents change their system he seems bemused as to how to cope. If and when he thinks of a solution the horse has already bolted.

Man-management issues aside, for we don't really know yet how good or not he is at that, I wonder how the cleverer players will react to the lack of instruction and direction from the touchlines. I dare say a few of them had a good idea what was happening yesterday.

He counters opp tactical changes by folding his arms. ;)

He counters opp tactical changes by folding his arms. ;)

:lol: I saw that yesterday, he realised something needed to be defensive at least. :lol:

He switched formations to counter fulham several times yesterday in the second half. Didn't pay off though. Easy to overlook players just hvinv a shitter too.

Agree with the points made about his managerial style though. Hard to accurately counter tactics on the spot, especially stopping momentum that fulham had, especially as no one could have predicted it.

Do dislike his hesitancy for substitutions, but we have certainly had worse on that managerial front too.

what did fulham do exactly in terms of formation?

i know they started as a 4-4-1-1,4-5-1 type  as it was clear zamora was on his own with that ugly rat dempsey sniffing around behind him

in second half was fulham formation changed to diamond 4-3-1-2?  or 4-3-3? all i know i could see was they were all over us

Senor Chang - Gay

Senor Chang - Gay

:lol:

Thought AP was hilarious on that sky bit, the smug bastard

:lol: Aye it was good. "I don't like being interrupted."

Too right Alan. I'm pretty much done altogether with Zany AM. Was a laugh for a bit five or six years ago.

Pardew bemoans costly errors as Newcastle slump to heavy Fulham defeat

By LAURA WILLIAMSON

Last updated at 10:30 PM on 22nd January 2012

Alan Pardew admitted a ‘lack of mental concentration’ cost his side as Newcastle United slumped to a 5-2 defeat by Fulham and missed the opportunity to go fifth in the Barclays Premier League table.

After taking the lead through a stunning Danny Guthrie strike just before half-time, Newcastle conceded four goals in 16 minutes.

Penalties from Danny Murphy and Bobby Zamora and a Clint Dempsey hat-trick marked a remarkable comeback from Fulham, although Hatem Ben Arfa did score a late consolation goal for the visitors.

Newcastle boss Pardew said: ‘Defending has been our strength all season and for 20 minutes we did not do it very well.

‘In the first half, I don't think Fulham even had a shot, maybe one wayward shot. It was just a lack of mental concentration in the second half that cost us. We have to make sure it does not happen again.’ 

Guthrie branded his side’s performance ‘unacceptable’ and said the players let themselves down.

The midfielder, 24, said: ‘We were completely in control and 1-0 up. We’ve let ourselves down second half.

‘You should never put yourself in that position. There was a 20-minute period when it was just unacceptable and they were getting in behind us too easily. It was really disappointing.’

Newcastle could have gone above Arsenal into fifth on Saturday evening, just two points below fourth-placed Chelsea, who were held at Norwich City.

But Pardew said he is not targeting Champions League qualification this year, insisting reaching the Europa League would still reflect a very successful season for Newcastle.

He said: ‘I don’t think we are really in that (the fight for a Champions League spot).

‘I think we are realistic enough to know that if we qualify for the Europa League it will have been a fantastic season for us; an absolutely unbelievable season for us.

‘The players have played to their maximum all season except for 20 minutes at Fulham. I can't moan as a manager about this team they have been brilliant.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2090300/Alan-Pardew-bemoans-defending-Newcastle-Fulham-defeat.html#ixzz1kENmbkLc

Don't know how effective you can be in terms of being vocal from the touchlines. Must be more down to the gameplan beforehand and initial tactics. The only real shifts can come from half time and through decisive subs surely?  :dontknow: I suppose Pardew made the wrong choices at half time; potentially encouraging complacency and Jol actually got his shit together. We're sorely lacking without Ba in terms of providing pressure from the front and have weaknesses in terms of ball playing defenders that leaves quite the imbalance.

I think it was down to individual fuck ups as much as Pards' not adressing the issues in hand.  His subs were baffling, pointless and too late.  But when you look back through the goals, they all come from mistakes or slack marking I think, not 100% as I have tried to erase them from my memory it was that shocking.  It wasn't as if we were undone by some brilliant goals or bits of skill.  I am one of the first to blame Pards when he gets it horribly wrong, I just felt on Saturday the players were as culpable, if not more so.

I have never been in an away end with so many confused and angry people though!  It was surreal TBH, I just slumped on my chair in shock when the fourth pen got given.

For me it felt like some sort of mad hallucination, you're nailing Megan Fox one minute and then mid flow it turns to Heather Trott from Eastenders, horrific range of emotions in a short space of time, it just can't be good for you.  The football I mean, not banging a fat horror.

It just all went to shit and I feel it was out of chracter for us, hopefully we won't see a capitulation like that again.  It reminded me of the relegation season and past years where the back 4 was like some sort of comedy act.

Aye, it was so ludicrous you have to put it down as a freak incident IMO.

I was slumped in my chair for a while too. Went to the game expecting another nightmare trip to The Cottage, then it went better than ever imagined, then the second half was like that. My brain couldn't take it basically.

Win - Talk Tactics With The Manager

Calling all Club Members - fancy discussing tactics and team selection with Alan Pardew before a Premier League fixture?

And after picking the manager's brains, watching the team warm-up before taking your seat in the Directors Box to see the match unfold?

Well now you can, thanks to January's Money-Can't-Buy competition. All you have to do is be a Club Member or a season ticket holder - and if you aren't a Club Member already then you can sign up by clicking on the button below.

The prize is the latest in our monthly Money-Can't-Buy initiative. When Wolves come to Tyneside on Saturday, 25th February, one lucky member and guest will meet with Alan Pardew pre-game to discuss the team and tactics.

They will then go pitchside to watch the squad warm-up, before heading upstairs to your Hospitality Suite and enjoying the game from the Directors Box. After the final whistle, you will then get to have your photo taken with the official man of the match.

To be in with a chance of winning this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, all you have to do is send you name, current Membership number and contact details to [email protected] by the deadline of 5pm on Tuesday, 31st January. The winner will be notified in due course.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/News/Blogs/ClubMembers/0,,10278~2572134,00.html

Pardew warns his players 'Newcastle expects'

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleJan 24 2012

ALAN PARDEW has warned his Toon troopers that “Newcastle expects” when they head to Brighton in the FA Cup this weekend.

The United faithful were still reeling after the 5-2 hammering by Fulham at Craven Cottage, but Pardew wants his players to move on from the disappointing defeat in the capital and focus on reaching the last 16 of a competition that the Magpies last won in 1955.

Pardew – who is currently with his players at a warm-weather training camp in Tenerife – has already emphasised to his players just how important the FA Cup is this season.

And he feels they can make amends for the poor second-half display against Martin Jol’s side when they head for the south coast for Saturday night’s fourth-round clash.

Unlike those who came before him in the United hotseat, Pardew has made the FA Cup one of his main objectives, and wants to become the first manager since 1969 to bring a trophy to St James’ Park.

Pardew took time to go through the history books and knows that, while the three cup triumphs of the 1950s are from a bygone era, Tyneside has always held a torch for the competition which the Magpies have won six times in their history.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “We can’t switch off like we did at Fulham.

“The FA Cup’s very important for this football club and always has been.

“We want to do well in the cup. I’ve come close as a player with Crystal Palace, and a manager with West Ham United, so it’s a competition we are focused on.”

Newcastle will face a Brighton side that have yet to taste defeat in 2012, with Gus Poyet’s men going into the tie on a high after beating Peterborough in the Championship.

However, they were fortunate to squeeze past Wrexham on penalties at the Racecourse Ground last week.

Pardew, though, is wary of the threat of the Seagulls.

He said: “It’s a tough game, but at least we can build on our first-half performance at Fulham.

“And again we know we mustn’t switch off like we did in the second half.”

Pardew’s team will spend most of the week in the Canaries as they get involved in both training and some team-building exercises with a golf competition between players and staff on the agenda.

But Pardew made it clear that he expects a major improvement from his usually reliable back four after they went AWOL at Craven Cottage.

He said: “It was our defending.

“The back five – who have been magnificent for us this season – have had a disappointing day.”

Pardew did state that Hatem Ben Arfa – who scored one and made one at Fulham – was starting to look the part and the French ace is likely to be unleashed at Brighton’s impressive Amex Stadium.

He said: “Ben Arfa was good. He does give the ball away occasionally in difficult situations, but he creates so much.

“He’s actually more of a positive than a negative – he wasn’t a problem.

“Those type of players weren’t a problem – it was our defending.”

United are expected to return back to Tyneside on Wednesday.

Meanwhile Lee Probert has been appointed to officiate Saturday night’s FA Cup tie with Brighton.

:: UNITED’S Tyne Wear derby has been switched to Sunday, March 4 – and will be a high-noon showdown. The game will now be live on ESPN.

And three matches have been selected for live coverage on Sky Sports.

Newcastle’s game with Arsenal has now been switched to Monday, March 12 with an 8pm kick-off while the away game with WBA is now a 4pm kick-off on March 25. The game with Liverpool – in which Andy Carroll and Jose Enrique return to St James’ – now takes place on Sunday, April 1 with a 1.30pm.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/24/pardew-warns-his-players-newcastle-expects-72703-30186117/2/#ixzz1kNpcY8fC