Alan Pardew

JH

He doesn't say much wrong at all in that Telegraph article. I'm not sure if it's normal for a manager's every word to be pulled apart and ridiculed, especially when he's got us so high in the league, but it seems a bit much to me.

He doesn't really say anything wrong, but if there's a bandwagon to be leapt on..

ALAN PARDEW has admitted he is intrigued by how his side will respond to Sunderland’s five-man midfield formation.

Black Cats boss Martin O’Neill is set to pack his engine room in a bid to absorb the pressure at St James’ Park.

Similar tactics failed miserably at West Brom for O’Neill, as a 4-5-1 formation with Stephane Sessegnon playing as the lone front man resulted in a real hammering at the Hawthorns.

Pardew suggested he was prepared to start with his exciting frontline of Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba in attack, with both expected to be fit to lead the line against the Wearsiders, despite picking up knocks against Wolves in the 2-2 draw.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “It will be an interesting point of the game to see how well we cope with their five-man midfield.

“That’s what they’ll play. We need to cope better than we did against Wolves with our two strikers on the pitch.

“We have done that in the past and we hope to do it again on Sunday.”

United will retain the Tyne-Wear bragging rights providing they avoid defeat against Sunderland, having already triumphed 1-0 at the Stadium of Light. Pardew – yet to lose a home game in 2012 – said: “We just want to get four points from the two home games and, on the back of the run we’ve had at home, that is a success.

“I want to win the game.

“We don’t want one point from this – that’s for sure.

“It is an important game in terms of our league position as well, and not just playing Sunderland.”

United have lost just one derby fixture in the last 14 against the Black Cats.

But Pardew was firmly focused on the task in hand.

He said: “It doesn’t matter what has gone on before – it is almost irrelevant really.

“What it will be about is the day itself and how we play.”

Cheick Tiote will return to training today after international duty, along with Yohan Cabaye, Davide Santon, Shane Ferguson and Tim Krul.

Yet Pardew is not concerned about any injury worries.

He said: “I don’t anticipate any problems. At the moment we are OK.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=alan-pardew-we-must-be-alive-to-sunderland-five%26method=full%26objectid=30442985%26siteid=72703-name_page.html#ixzz1nxqnrYhj

Pards opening himself up to be shot down by talking about MON's 5 man midfield tactics there. So you know what they're going to do then there's not much excuse if we don't cope with it really is there? Might be better sticking to discussing your own team methinks.

ALAN PARDEW has admitted he is intrigued by how his side will respond to Sunderland’s five-man midfield formation.

Black Cats boss Martin O’Neill is set to pack his engine room in a bid to absorb the pressure at St James’ Park.

Similar tactics failed miserably at West Brom for O’Neill, as a 4-5-1 formation with Stephane Sessegnon playing as the lone front man resulted in a real hammering at the Hawthorns.

Pardew suggested he was prepared to start with his exciting frontline of Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba in attack, with both expected to be fit to lead the line against the Wearsiders, despite picking up knocks against Wolves in the 2-2 draw.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “It will be an interesting point of the game to see how well we cope with their five-man midfield.

“That’s what they’ll play. We need to cope better than we did against Wolves with our two strikers on the pitch.

United will retain the Tyne-Wear bragging rights providing they avoid defeat against Sunderland, having already triumphed 1-0 at the Stadium of Light. Pardew – yet to lose a home game in 2012 – said: “We just want to get four points from the two home games and, on the back of the run we’ve had at home, that is a success.

“I want to win the game.

“It is an important game in terms of our league position as well, and not just playing Sunderland.”

He said: “It doesn’t matter what has gone on before – it is almost irrelevant really.

Cheick Tiote will return to training today after international duty, along with Yohan Cabaye, Davide Santon, Shane Ferguson and Tim Krul.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=alan-pardew-we-must-be-alive-to-sunderland-five%26method=full%26objectid=30442985%26siteid=72703-name_page.html#ixzz1nxqnrYhj

Pards opening himself up to be shot down by talking about MON's 5 man midfield tactics there. So you know what they're going to do then there's not much excuse if we don't cope with it really is there? Might be better sticking to discussing your own team methinks.

That's more than a little bit simplistic.  Just because you know how a team is going to line up doesn't stop the fact that:

a) tactics may not work.  For example, just because they line up with a five man midfield, does that mean we should match their men in midfield?  Obviously playing 4-4-2 gives you certain advantages over 4-5-1 in certain situations (4-5-1 does over 4-4-2) so Pardew might decide to stick to the system we have been using all season and see if Sunderland want to worry about our formation.

b)  our players underperforming or their players overperforming.

“I want to win the game.

That's more than a little bit simplistic.  Just because you know how a team is going to line up doesn't stop the fact that:

a) tactics may not work.  For example, just because they line up with a five man midfield, does that mean we should match their men in midfield?  Obviously playing 4-4-2 gives you certain advantages over 4-5-1 in certain situations (4-5-1 does over 4-4-2) so Pardew might decide to stick to the system we have been using all season and see if Sunderland want to worry about our formation.

b)  our players underperforming or their players overperforming.

There's all sorts of ways to over-analyse it, but the bottom line will be whoever brings the best out of his players will dominate the game - I won't say win, because that sometimes needs things to go for you on the day.

Guest reefatoon

Another Pardew interview.....another set of musings about losing our best players. We get it Alan, shut the f*** up. Funnily enough one of our best players is on the bench every week while Ryan Taylor and Obertan get games, there's quite a lot you can do to keep a hold of that one.

another thread . . . . . another set of musings . . . . that turn into talking about Ben Arfa.  There is no escape!

The full article in the Telegraph isn't a bad read like. It's quite positive stuff. Okay, some of the stuff he does say (primarily what he said about potential bids for our big players) is uncalled for but I do like the sound of Pardew's long-term aspirations. Pardew does have a certain way of handling the press, sometimes he handles them brilliantly but at other times, he probably gives them some (maybe too much) ammunition to write some sort of shite. But, it is only one side to Pardew so I'm not too worried as such about what he says from time to time. It's what happens on the pitch that matters.

So really, in the end, it's a case of actions speaking louder than words. His actions this season have certainly ranged from brilliant to shite/bizarre. The promise of "carpet football" hasn't really been fulfilled, we have seen glimpses of it but quite simply, there hasn't been enough of it. He has got us to 6th in the table with 12 games to go, so something (or some of his "actions") is/are working.

He'll be a very easy guy for people to turn on if the results do go to shit.

Doesn't come across well at all in the press.

I actually appreciated his comments earlier in the season, he admitted that our success was built on defending well and admitted when we weren't up to it. The thing is though we haven't progressed from that at all and he knows it, he's in full on Allardyce mode and it started with the comments about the Liverpool game where he said we controlled the game. We were fucking diabolical.

Anyway, stop the patter, play some football and it speaks for itself.

Another Pardew interview.....another set of musings about losing our best players. We get it Alan, shut the f*** up. Funnily enough one of our best players is on the bench every week while Ryan Taylor and Obertan get games, there's quite a lot you can do to keep a hold of that one.

another thread . . . . . another set of musings . . . . that turn into talking about Ben Arfa.  There is no escape!

It was relevant imo.

He doesn't say much wrong at all in that Telegraph article. I'm not sure if it's normal for a manager's every word to be pulled apart and ridiculed, especially when he's got us so high in the league, but it seems a bit much to me.

He doesn't really say anything wrong, but if there's a bandwagon to be leapt on..

Are you happy with the manager making comments this often about players leaving? I don't see what the purpose of it is?

Just want to see us play football on Sunday. Sunday is definitely one of those days where the result is more important than the football but I really really hope we see some glimmer of a style of play for over 5 mins. Let's get the ball down Pards and beta them due to our technically better players, not down to the fact that Ba nails one in from a ridiculous angle and Colo/Krul save us at the back

Just want to see us play football tomorrow. Tomorrow is definitely one of those days where the result is more important than the football but I really really hope we see some glimmer of a style of play for over 5 mins. Let's get the ball down Pards and beta them due to our technically better players, not down to the fact that Ba nails one in from a ridiculous angle and Colo/Krul save us at the back

I'd prefer we did it on matchday than in training.

Just want to see us play football tomorrow. Tomorrow is definitely one of those days where the result is more important than the football but I really really hope we see some glimmer of a style of play for over 5 mins. Let's get the ball down Pards and beta them due to our technically better players, not down to the fact that Ba nails one in from a ridiculous angle and Colo/Krul save us at the back

I'd prefer we did it on matchday than in training.

Fair point, my head's not right.

Are you happy with the manager making comments this often about players leaving? I don't see what the purpose of it is?

To alert other clubs they are for sale? :lol:

I understand he has flaws but I'm cringing when i read some of the comments made towards our manager. He's not perfect, but some of the s*** spouted in here in pathetic.

I'm interested to see these comments (srs)

Guest VaVaVoom

He has done well so far, he gets stick, some warranted (Tactics at times and handling Barfa) and some of it isnt. Thats standard with any manager really.

We have to remember we are 6th and serious contenders for a european spot regardless of how good our football has been.

Thinking of it now though, we are where we are whilst playing average and riding our luck...SHOULD we nail a good brand of football and play it consistently then we can acheive even more.

AP is right, next 6 are crucial, the next two are goliath...2 wins or a win and a draw would really set us up for an exciting run in and chase for a european place.

I understand he has flaws but I'm cringing when i read some of the comments made towards our manager. He's not perfect, but some of the s*** spouted in here in pathetic.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd like to go on record and say I couldn't give a fuck how we perform on sunday, 3 points is all I care about in this particular fixture. Although if we do play well and put in a good performance, there will be a few brucie bonous points coming Pardew's way from me. If no performance but a win, there will be no complaints though.