Alan Pardew

JH

When he was asked about the new formation he said something along the lines of he needs to fit those three players in & it seems to work well.

Really sound's like we are going for a left back in the summer, Santon was brought in as a young defender who we hope to develop..

He thinks Ashley is now in it for the long run, & if there is a player he really wants he thought he could get him.

When asked about players leaving in the summer, He pretty much said every player has a price & when he asked Ashley about summer sales

Ashley just keeps saying " I'm a very difficult seller " I read that as he wont let anyone go unless the offer is huge.

Told a great story of his first game in charge (when we beat Liverpool 3-1) said it was a great game & after the game went up to the boardroom to see Ashley

only to find him & Lambias mortal drunk!!  :lol:

ashley could have been a beloved owner man :lol:

alas, too much water under the bridge methinks

Can't say I've agreed with Pardew on the pitch for a lot of this season, but off it he's different class. He's kept a great team spirit going, and when he's been under pressure he's mostly handled it very well. You only have to look at how Fat Allardyce is getting all defensive now the WH fans are getting vocal about his shit management to appreciate it isn't easy.

When he was asked about the new formation he said something along the lines of he needs to fit those three players in & it seems to work well.

Really sound's like we are going for a left back in the summer, Santon was brought in as a young defender who we hope to develop..

He thinks Ashley is now in it for the long run, & if there is a player he really wants he thought he could get him.

When asked about players leaving in the summer, He pretty much said every player has a price & when he asked Ashley about summer sales

Ashley just keeps saying " I'm a very difficult seller " I read that as he wont let anyone go unless the offer is huge.

I've got issues with the way Ashley runs the transfer side of things, but this is definitely true. When you consider the money we've received for various players: £12m for Milner, £6m+Raylor for N'Zogbia, £4m for Nolan, £7m for Enrique (a player who wanted to leave) and obviously £35m for Carroll. Given is the only dodgy one, but then he manufactured the move too.

I do have underlying fears that we'll lose certain players, but i'm confident that (if we do), it'll be for a fair whack.

Buzzing about the centre-back stuff, btw. Fully believe it too, what with the swift nature of the Cabaye deal, and what appeared to be a pre-window agreement to sign Maiga (now there was a blessing in disguise...).

Good shit.

Have to say our signing technique at the moment is top class. Players just materialise when the deal is done, no messing about.

No idea how we're managing to be so professional when most other football dealings are a farce, but long may it continue.

Have to say our signing technique at the moment is top class. Players just materialise when the deal is done, no messing about.

No idea how we're managing to be so professional when most other football dealings are a farce, but long may it continue.

I wouldn't say it's top class, it's been balanced relatively evenly since we came back up. There's still far too much fannying about with things that should be just sorted. E.g, not signing another defender in the summer or January.

The Cisse signing will hopefully prove to be the turning point; it's the first time i think we've actually bought a player to add to the first team. Not because someone has left or because we needed to fill the squad out, which you could apply to all of our summer signings. But because it'll add to what we've already got and make us better. That signing was the first proper sign of ambition in the transfer market since Ashley arrived, imo.

I am looking forward to the summer. Providing no one leaves, i don't think there's a great deal of work that needs doing...

If we signed two players (first choice CB, first choice LB), i'd be absolutely delighted.

Indeed, refreshing  :thup:

If reading rags like the Journal are to be believed then the targets will be a CB, LB, CM and a young promising forward......

I'd be very happy with that myself, hoping Tiote will stay and Ba will sign a new contract.

Either way iam very positive about the summer and next season i believe we are heading in the right direction.

I wouldn't say it's top class, it's been balanced relatively evenly since we came back up. There's still far too much fannying about with things that should be just sorted. E.g, not signing another defender in the summer or January.

Fair point I suppose, but very few clubs manage to sign enough players to solve all of their squad issues.

I really think we would have got a centre back in January but the one we wanted wouldn't or couldn't sign for  us then so our bid for Mariappa was a half arsed effort for a 4th choice defender.

If so, two likely candidates: Douglas - wanted to stay in Holland until he is allowed to play for their national team.

Mbiwa - release clause has a time window restriction.

I really think we would have got a centre back in January but the one we wanted wouldn't or couldn't sign for  us then so our bid for Mariappa was a half arsed effort for a 4th choice defender.

If so, two likely candidates: Douglas - wanted to stay in Holland until he is allowed to play for their national team.

Personally I hope it's Douglas, really like the looks of him.

The Cisse signing will hopefully prove to be the turning point; it's the first time i think we've actually bought a player to add to the first team. Not because someone has left or because we needed to fill the squad out, which you could apply to all of our summer signings. But because it'll add to what we've already got and make us better. That signing was the first proper sign of ambition in the transfer market since Ashley arrived, imo.

I am looking forward to the summer. Providing no one leaves, i don't think there's a great deal of work that needs doing...

If we signed two players (first choice CB, first choice LB), i'd be absolutely delighted.

I agree the Cisse signing was the first signing aimed at strengthening the first team and not just replacing lost first team players. My worry is that that's what it will ultimately be though, if for example Ba leaves then Cisse is just another replacement. And if a big bid comes in for Ba it would be easy to sell and say we already have a replacement in Cisse.

I think we'll be looking at some pretty big offers for a couple of our players in the summer and I reckon we'll sell and rebuild again. We got away with it last summer and Ashley likes a gamble (and a profit) but it's a policy which usually backfires. We sold four of our best players and somehow came off better but lightning doesn't strike twice and if we do it again we'll be in trouble. We have to keep Krul-Colo-Taylor-Tiote-Cabaye-Gutierrez-Ba-Ben Arfa and Cisse, and I rate Guthrie as backup too. I'll be surprised if we've still got that lot next season but if we do then the future is bright because that's a good core group of players to build a squad around.

I'd be delighted with Douglas or Mbiwa both would add a substantial quality to our backline and more importantly pace.

Not meaning to piss on anyone's chips, as I am cautiously optimistic about the summer window as well.  However, wasn't it mooted that the Cisse deal came about from the £10m up front Virgin sponsorship?

Obviously that might be inaccurate, but I'm not overly confident we'll spend much, unless other players leave (can see one Ba or Tiote going sadly). 

In fairness though, we don't really need to spend a shit load, our recent signings have been alright  :D

In fairness though, we don't really need to spend a s*** load, our recent signings have been alright  :D

Was going to mention that, we have a fantastic scouts and constantly scout the best in France, Holland and Germany which coincidently is the places to get the bargains.......

We could significantly increase the quality in our squad with 3 or 4 players for bargain prices and i expect us to do so also.

Like everyone else iam more worried about Ba or Tiote leaving or even worse both of them.

Not meaning to p*ss on anyone's chips, as I am cautiously optimistic about the summer window as well.  However, wasn't it mooted that the Cisse deal came about from the £10m up front Virgin sponsorship?

Obviously that might be inaccurate, but I'm not overly confident we'll spend much, unless other players leave (can see one Ba or Tiote going sadly). 

In fairness though, we don't really need to spend a s*** load, our recent signings have been alright  :D

Dekka said that if somebody bought the naming rights to the ground, it would go into funding 'another Cabaye' etc, the deal which happened with Virgin Money was due to the previous sponsorship deal with NR - I think it had one optional year left to run which, for obvious reasons, couldn't be renewed. When Branson came and bought the 'good' part of the bank and reformed it, he took up the option to keep the deal going. I don't believe a brand new contract was ironed out then, more-so that they took up the option for a year on the remaining contract.

I still believe if we sign people in the summer they will predominantly be replacements, with perhaps one or 2 shifted on. I think the last time Dekka spoke publicly he said they wanted the squad smaller but with greater quality, so I can see where that's heading