Alan Pardew

JH

Guest Howaythetoon

What I meant was there comes a time to hold your hands up (in a badass manner) and accept you were wrong.

Wrong about what?

I was right about many things. I will be massively wrong about Pardew himself if he keeps going the way he is but that is one pie I will happily eat.

He clearly reads here by the way, I put forward the idea of Jonas playing centrally years ago...

Another thing I have been proved right on ;)

Had Pardew continued to put out teams set up to perform like Wolves at home he'd be under extreme pressure, but he changed it and we've performed much better. You can only talking about what you see, Pardew was getting it wrong and showed no sign of changing things then boom, he did. Its great news and its give us a great end to the season, but to say HTT was wrong is nonsense, plenty of people on here were very worried where we were heading, whether they said owt or not is a different matter. I personally thought he was blowing it and was fuming.

One concern i have left is that he reverts back to old at the start of the season, trying to protect points etc...if that doesnt happen and we see what were seeing now its only going to get better with better players coming in.

Guest Howaythetoon

Oh, so we have you to thank for our current form and style? I'm so glad that you pointed out to the rest of us idiots how poor we were playing previously.

:rolleyes: idiot

One "blip" in form aside, we have been outstanding all season. There is simply no excuse for picking the bones out of Pardew's performance this season, other than sheer negativity or a simple case of being afraid to admit that you were wrong.

We have been outstanding in terms of points but up until West Brom away, our performances in general have ranged from extremely poor to average (with the odd exception) and the likes of myself who did and rightly so pick the bones out of these performances, observed that if we actually played a bit more football and selected the right players and ditched the negative approach, performances would improve and results would be even better. Low and behold.... that is exactly what happened.

I except given our results it did seem a tad chrulish to pick the bones out as you say but when we have the players we do, it needed to be said. A blind man could see our performances were poor given the quality of our players. Moreso though, a blind man could tell you better tactics and a less negative approach would get the players playing much better.

Even when we were playing "poorer" football, i had no doubt that we would come through the other side. Not because i'm some know-all, but because i totally understood what Pardew was trying to do and i had confidence in it.

I'm glad Pards has repaid my faith and i hope now that you too, will have the bollocks to place your faith in him.

I had no doubt... that if he ditched the negative tactics, hoof ball, containment game and started selecting his better players (Ben Arfa), trusting them more and adopted a more attacking possession type of game, we'd play much better and pick up even more points. I also said we would defend better as a result and that's what has happened. I didn't have faith in Pardew wising up so fair play to him and massive credit.

I was very wrong to claim he didn't want or was unable to, he clearly was able, although I believe things have clicked more out of chance than actual design of late and he has simply not been stupid enough to ditch things.

Guest Howaythetoon

Had Pardew continued to put out teams set up to perform like Wolves at home he'd be under extreme pressure, but he changed it and we've performed much better. You can only talking about what you see, Pardew was getting it wrong and showed no sign of changing things then boom, he did. Its great news and its give us a great end to the season, but to say HTT was wrong is nonsense, plenty of people on here were very worried where we were heading, whether they said owt or not is a different matter. I personally thought he was blowing it and was fuming.

One concern i have left is that he reverts back to old at the start of the season, trying to protect points etc...if that doesnt happen and we see what were seeing now its only going to get better with better players coming in.

Even in the second half against West Brom and against Swansea were went long at times and tried to contain but that was never what bothered me, I don't mind us mixing it up, its when we do it all the time or too much that got me and we did. Now we don't. And that's great. I for one never demanded, expected or even hoped for carpet football, we don't play anywhere near that, but we do play attractive, attacking football in the main now and its great to see and great for our players especially because they are now expressing themselves and playing at the top of their game.

HTT, i'm not debating with you over the tactical side of things. Yes you were right about us being negative and needing to come out of our shells a bit but then everyone said that, me included. As well as the inclusion of Ben Arfa, which we were crying out loud for.

My issue is a different one. You started doubting a manager who had already got us into an incredible position in the league and even claiming that you would prefer to have Martin Jol as our manager (out of interest, would you still make that swap?). At the time, as well as now, i find that critisism of him extremely harsh, since he was already on the verge of achieving something great. However, now he has surpassed everyone's wildest dreams.

I don't mind the fact that you had reservations about Pardew, in fact, differing opinions make the world spin IMO. All i want is for you to admit that you were wrong about Pardew himself, not the tactics.

Have to remember over half of our starting 11 had no or very little games for us at the start of the season. It's very easy to state we should be capable of x, y and z but players do sometimes take a little time to gel/settle. I can't see how Pardew deserves any criticism tbh, he was winning us points with players most of us thought were pretty awful at the start of the season playing 'safe' football and has gradually brought in the more talented individuals and made them key players whilst improving our style of play.

I said earlier it is very easy for me to claim I was right (when in Rome..) but imo Ben Arfa now has all the raw ability he always had but also has a lot more to his game in regards to being a team player. Pardew isn't the first manager to struggle with the lad (I don't think there has been a manager who hasn't) but he really seems to have struck gold in getting the absolute best out of him.

He has also brought out very good performances from players we never, ever expected had the capability to.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT, i'm not debating with you over the tactical side of things. Yes you were right about us being negative and needing to come out of our shells a bit but then everyone said that, me included. As well as the inclusion of Ben Arfa, which we were crying out loud for.

My issue is a different one. You started doubting a manager who had already got us into an incredible position in the league and even claiming that you would prefer to have Martin Jol as our manager (out of interest, would you still make that swap?). At the time, as well as now, i find that critisism of him extremely harsh, since he was already on the verge of achieving something great. However, now he has surpassed everyone's wildest dreams.

I don't mind the fact that you had reservations about Pardew, in fact, differing opinions make the world spin IMO. All i want is for you to admit that you were wrong about Pardew himself, not the tactics.

Fair enough.

And read up, you will see me saying if he carries on as he's doing I will have been massively wrong about him as manager of NUFC.

This right here, gentlemen.

I did not see it coming at all, I can't think of any logical reason that suggested it would come, nor was one suggested by any poster on this board. Negative tactics were accompanied by cries of "you idiot, how can you pass it from the back with simpson, willo and Krul in the team/ Cabaye is in terrible form" ect.

Pardew's change of mentality also exactly coincides with Ben Arfa forcing himself into the team. Now try to remember objectively, Ben Arfa was not eased into the team or anything like that, he was thrown on as a wildcard, an "oh-shit!" button. And he preformed so well in those cameos that he simple could not be dropped from the team (fan pressure being a factor too).

I'm not taking anything away from Pardew he's done unbelievably well. And I almost regret typing this already as this can of worms is in the past. But people gloating ' i woz right bout somethin' , 'will you admit you was wrong' is really irritating.

Have to remember over half of our starting 11 had no or very little games for us at the start of the season. It's very easy to state we should be capable of x, y and z but players do sometimes take a little time to gel/settle. I can't see how Pardew deserves any criticism tbh, he was winning us points with players most of us thought were pretty awful at the start of the season playing 'safe' football and has gradually brought in the more talented individuals and made them key players whilst improving our style of play.

I said earlier it is very easy for me to claim I was right (when in Rome..) but imo Ben Arfa now has all the raw ability he always had but also has a lot more to his game in regards to being a team player. Pardew isn't the first manager to struggle with the lad (I don't think there has been a manager who hasn't) but he really seems to have struck gold in getting the absolute best out of him.

He has also brought out very good performances from players we never, ever expected had the capability to.

Certainly,to an extent. Ben Arfa  was working hard in all his appearances for Newcastle, he is better/ more disciplined/ mature now no doubt. But he wasn't a menace to the cause at all. The french posters even pointed out that he was working very hard on the pitch, tracking back ect. for his last run at OM.

Guest sicko2ndbest

For the record, i've always liked your posts HTT. You always make important points.

I just think you got it wrong on Pardew.

In liar liar style 'and the truth will set you free'

HTT has got it massively wrong with Pards! His justifications whilst intelligent, lack a complete understanding of APs man management and player development

If the guy turns out to be a flop next season he has been nothing short of miraculous all season, and he will be forever remembered in such vein!

In our top 3 managers in the past 30 years!

He's also rammed the "can't handle flair players" tag down a fair few throats as well.

That was just laughable s**** though really.  Tried to just ignore anyone who came out with that.

Another thing that was annoying was Pardew (during the period when we were underperforming) being compared to Allardyce/Souness. That was bullshit.

It is very nice seeing 'this is the first time we have done so and so since *insert a time frame when we were brilliant*' 'if so and so get's so and so more so and so it will be the first time we have had a player to do that'.

Basically I love so and sos.

As always. Yet he always gets shot down. RAWKesque at times in the Pardew thread 

Rubbish :lol:

It was about a month ago.

The difference is even when things were "going wrong" (which in the grand scheme of things they weren't really), Pardew had still done a really good job - people weren't just blindly backing Pardew.

Dalglish, well I don't even know where to start with his shortcomings.

I didn't always like the football Pardew served up this season, but I understand why he was doing it. His approach and selections were getting us the results that are the platform for this final push. The performances weren't always great, but the results generally were.

IMO it's very much not as simple as saying "if we'd stopped hoof ball earlier we would have started doing better earlier", that's to deny the planning and assessment and re-assessment of our situation that Pards has managed to do so successfully this season.

This right here, gentlemen.

I did not see it coming at all, I can't think of any logical reason that suggested it would come, nor was one suggested by any poster on this board. Negative tactics were accompanied by cries of "you idiot, how can you pass it from the back with simpson, willo and Krul in the team/ Cabaye is in terrible form" ect.

Pardew's change of mentality also exactly coincides with Ben Arfa forcing himself into the team. Now try to remember objectively, Ben Arfa was not eased into the team or anything like that, he was thrown on as a wildcard, an "oh-shit!" button. And he preformed so well in those cameos that he simple could not be dropped from the team (fan pressure being a factor too).

I'm not taking anything away from Pardew he's done unbelievably well. And I almost regret typing this already as this can of worms is in the past. But people gloating ' i woz right bout somethin' , 'will you admit you was wrong' is really irritating.

But you're wrong. There were people that took in past form and what Pardew had said through his time here, his general interviews, his use of players, his explanations when we played badly and his admittances when things didn't go to plan and came to a different conclusion. Buy into what we felt he was aiming for, and the way he ideally would have us play. Sometime that faith looked shaky at best, but I thought that there was very little to suggest he was a negative manager, or married to the concept of 'hoofball' that some here kept banging on about.

There will be many many more games where we fuck up, set up wrongly, or end up lumping it forward. I just hope the current form makes the likes of HTT hesitate from jumping off the deep end again when we hit a bad patch.

I fear it wont.

/Christ, it wasn't that many weeks ago he was still calling for Pardew to be replaced sooner rather than later.

/But then, it wasn't many moons ago, he was fighting Allardyces corner, or siding with Souness over Bellamy and Robert iirc...

Guest Howaythetoon

South Tynedale Mag, you make some valid points regarding my criticism of Pardew and yes I was perhaps too harsh especially given our position in the table but some of our performances were reminisicent of Big Sam, Roder and Souness at times and I knew we had far better players than some of our performances suggested so while I was perhaps too harsh on Pardew, I did feel at times it was justified.

Obviously talk of 'cockney prick' etc. were in bad taste but that was more down to emotions spilling over than anthing more malicious. And any coaching references regarding me being a better coach or able to do a better job were said in jest, more fool those who actually thought I was serious. Bear in mind, I once changed my username to CoachHTT in a laugh at myself kind of way.

Back to Pardew... would I swap him for jol at the moment? No I would be mad given our position, the way we are now playing. however, as coaches or managers for me Jol is better than Pardew and in any other situation if I had to chose who I would like to see manage Nufc out of the too, the Dutchman would be my choice.

Getting back to our performances and where we were at, after the Wolves debacle, we could have easily went backwards and regressed. We didn't and Pardew deserves massive credit for that but for me, and this will open a can of worms and bring further criticism my way no doubt, I think in the main, things have simply clicked for him and indeed everyone more out of chance than design. What he has been canny with is keeping things the same or as much as the same. In short, we've stumbled upon a winning formula and we've stuck with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it and that's what Pardew has seen.

Our or Pardew's true test will be if we lose a game or two or get hammered. Will he stick with this winning formula or will he change things? Will he revert back to type? Likewise if for example Ben Arfa gets injured. Will he ditch this 2-1-3 or 3-3 formation up front and bring back Ryan Taylor to the right of midfield or Oberton in a flat 4?

After we got beaten 3-0 at home to Chelsea, Pardew went all defensive in terms of tactics, team selection and even his press conferences, bigging up lesser teams and claiming a draw would represent a huge step forward etc. We suffered for that, especially in performances. 

I hope a similar defeat will not bring out the 'old' Pardew.

Anyway... I now enjoy watching is play and long may it continue because with our players the sky is the limit when they are expressing themselves as we are showing. I wasn't there but watched Sky's game of the day and therefore the full 90 minutes and we battered Stoke. That's what a top 4/CL challenging side should be doing to such sides at home rather than a nervous, bitty, conservative 1-0 win over your Norwichs, QPRs and Villas of the world.

Guest Howaythetoon

There is no 'old' Pardew, isn't it possible he has more flexibility and ability to learn/adapt than you gave him credit for?

I hope so. He is showing signs.