Alan Pardew

JH

Even if some people were over critical of Pardew (in match threads too/during matches ffs, even Ferguson gets criticized for decisions in match threads on RedCafe)

Why won't some people just move on and stop pathetically,and in the main; wrongly trying to point-score and even claim they are some sort of saviour of our season?

It's in the past. Were in 4th. Were playing exciting football in a system that suits our players. We've qualified for Europe.

Move on and let it die.

Its not pointscoring or anyone trying to claim to be saviour of the season though. Point is the criticism was massively OTT & that it can be learnt from. Luckily this season it went well & Pards changed to the more attacking style of play everyone wanted after the Norwich game.

Many wouldnt have wanted to give him the chance to do it next season though if he'd not managed to do it now & i dont see the level of criticism he was getting as being beneficial to us if it was to be spread around by sections of our support or grown moreso before the next season had started. This season should have been a lesson in patience & holding back on strong judgements for all of us in general.

Yes, everyone unhappy with the style of play etc would have felt really smug had it continued. :lol:

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Come on - you know what I mean.  Smug may not be the correct word, but some of patronising posts on here over the last few months in relation to tactics and our style of play...

Yes, everyone unhappy with the style of play etc would have felt really smug had it continued. :lol:

Come on - you know what I mean.  Smug may not be the correct word, but some of patronising posts on here over the last few months in relation to tactics and our style of play...

don't know about patronising but the extent we were supposed to have played hoofball was massivly over exaggerated.

'We're sixth so pipe down' was pretty patronising.

Just for reference:

5 wins in the last 17. :hmm:

Add shite football into the mix and there will be criticism. :dontknow:

As I keep saying, from what I can remember barring HTT nobody on here was calling for him to be sacked. There was even less of this at the match from what I experienced. Some questioned whether he was the right man to take this set of players forward.

Not to exacerbate anything but the majority of criticism of Pardew was of his tactics/substitutions (player choices). These tactics and player choices were changed to pretty much what most people were complaining about. We are now seeing NUFC play great football and dominate games. So in essence, most people who were complaining were correct and most people who weren't complaining are correct in a different way (apart from those who kept suggesting our players weren't capable of playing really good football because Simpson/Williamson were in the team).

Anyway, it's absolutely meaningless. We're playing great and everyone's happy at the moment, everyone believes Pardew is doing a good job and now if things go wrong again, most who had previous criticisms, will be able to look at it and say, it's just a rough patch. We know what the players and manager are capable of.

don't know about patronising but the extent we were supposed to have played hoofball was massivly over exaggerated.

I think the general theme that somehow only the anti-Pardew brigade were enlightened enough to see what was really happening was a fairly common, patronising and, as it turned out, incorrect theme.  But anyway - going to leave it there.  We're 4th so I don't care who is right or wrong.

I think the general theme that somehow only the anti-Pardew brigade were enlightened enough to see what was really happening was a fairly common, patronising and, as it turned out, incorrect theme.  But anyway - going to leave it there.  We're 4th so I don't care who is right or wrong.

You could try and leave it without saying "I won". I'm happy to do so.

You could try and leave it without saying "I won". I'm happy to do so.

It was thinly veiled..

But in all seriousness - it's done now.  Hopefully we will get 4th and won't need to look back on it anymore.

Why are people arguing about this? The bloke has delivered 62 points with 4 games to play and a guarantee of European football.. It's been a fucking magnificent season no matter how you look at it. I couldn't give a shit how we've got there now that we've managed that.

It's Pardy Time.

Aye, it gets a bit tiresome when the "Pards is clueless" brigade kept bashing you for the heinous crime of supporting the manager who was already exceeding expectations. That quote from Midds (5 wins in 17) does nowt to help, god forbid we have a dip in a fantastic season :lol: :frantic:

The "Pards is doing well but it could be even better" brigade were a lot more level-headed but unfortunately dwarfed by the FM-wizards who announced themselves as experts in man management. I'm yet to see any evidence that Pards hasn't dealt with the possible Ben Arfa man-management issue with anything but first rate managerial prowess.

I've mentioned this quite a few times in the past but thought I'd mention it again, a manager deserves praise when things go well but he also deserves criticism when things don't go well. It's all part of the package of being a manager after all - you will see the likes of Wenger/Ferguson being criticised when Arsenal/Man U lose or when things aren't going well performance-wise for their respective clubs and Pardew is no different.

So, Pardew justifiably saw a bit of criticism come his way when we were having that period when performances were well below-par. During this time, the tactics just seemed to be wrong and to quite an extent, they were negative as well (a somewhat over-reliance on direct football, scoring one goal but then sitting back/defending deep instead of going for more). It was almost incomprehensible why Pardew had decided to opt for such an approach in our play.

Pardew deservedly saw praise for our fantastic start to the season. He had established a foundation where we became hard to beat, that is, the emphasis of defensive solidity. Such an approach was effective and we certainly reaped benefits from it. He is now receiving praise for our fantastic run of form atm and with his strongest 11 being pretty much available, I really think we are seeing the vision he had for us in proper action now. We did actually see glimpses of the pass-and-play system on several prior occasions this season so I'm of the opinion that such a system was always on his mind but for whatever reason, he felt it wasn't ready to be used properly at the time (could be down to a lack of personnel? Lack of confidence? Or he just wanted to play it safe and stick to the "winning formula" he had prior to Christmas?).

All in all, one thing you can't deny is that we've had a phenomenal season under Pardew (we have been in the top 7 for almost all of the season!) Yes, he has made mistakes but he has, to my mind, acknowledged and corrected them. So no doubt this season will have come as a learning curve for him too. Times are really exciting atm and I am very much looking forward to the future - it really is so good to be a Newcastle fan atm and Alan Pardew deserves a massive amount of credit.

Time to Pardy.

So, Pardew justifiably saw a bit of criticism come his way when we were having that period when performances were well below-par. During this time, the tactics just seemed to be wrong and to quite an extent, they were negative as well (a somewhat over-reliance on direct football, scoring one goal but then sitting back/defending deep instead of going for more). It was almost incomprehensible why Pardew had decided to opt for such an approach in our play.

Great post except for this part.

He's one of the more humble managers out there, always gives the opposition praise and doesn't get himself into slagging matches/mind games. There's really very little to hate about the man.

Never really understood why anyone dislikes him.

Even when he was appointed I was gutted for Hughton but I like Pardew as a manager. Not as much as now obviously.

The Mackems hate him and say he's "smug" because they're used to repugnant tracksuit-wearing monstrosities like Fat Bruce and O'Neill on their touchline, instead of a suited and booted silver fox like Pards.

Great post except for this part.

The way I saw it was that we were underperforming and I believe that it was right to question some of his decisions at the time. Like I've said, even the likes of Ferguson and Wenger receive a bit of stick when their gameplans/tactis don't work - it's all part of the package as a manager. I've always had faith in Pardew but there was a time when some of his decisions were, well, weird and I felt that I was within my right to comment on what was right and what was wrong.