What the club is looking for...

Dave

In theory it is makes sense however football is not a traditional business in the way it operates. Also you couldn't pick a worse time to trial it. Continuity brbgs success in football, this theory would seem to go against that as managers will be very easy to fire on a whim. Nixon raises some good points n all.

Now there is something you don't read every day.

It's very likely that the basic wage will be the lowest in the PL.

guaranteed

Seeing as Hughton was probably already on the lowest in the PL, and Pardew is definitely going to get even less. Since he won't keep us up, he won't see much of those bonuses either.

I can see where they are coming from but am not sure it will work.  It really makes my piss boil when a managers best financial reward will come from failure.  Sign a 5 year contract.  Get a club relegated.  Get sacked and get paid 5-10 million quid for the privilege. 

Six month contract plus rewards for success on paper makes a lot more sense.  Problem is the job market for managers is working on different terms. All this will mean is it is harder to attract the higher end of managers that are available to us. 

If football as a whole started working on these terms and the playing field leveled then why not.

Who wrote that?

By the way, I think its a good approach, results = pay. Can't see many fancy taking the job though, also, the fact he's sad you've got no money to spend doesn't help!

well that thing dave posted said:

The new manager will not be handed a treasure trove of cash to spend and nor will he be handed a contract which means he can be rewarded for failure."

big difference between nothing and a treasure trove, but agree that if the real budget is next to nothing we'll only attract the out of work, desperate, or up-and-coming looking to make a name for themselves types

I notice in that statement he doesn't even pretend that he has a vision to make Newcastle even moderately successful, and by that I mean challenging for a place in Europe. Basically what he wants is a low grade, low paid manager who will somehow turn piss into wine.

I notice in that statement he doesn't even pretend that he has a vision to make Newcastle even moderately successful, and by that I mean challenging for a place in Europe. Basically what he wants is a low grade, low paid manager who will somehow turn piss into wine.

it's not a statement is it?  just some insider spouting off

This is what I had feared. Ashley resents the idea of having to pay off managers who have failed, and wants to introduce the same kind of incentive schemes that he uses in his other business. I don't know about Sports Direct, but my impression is that a lot of these retail chains tend to be hire and fire outfits.

I suspect that Hughton was offered a contract at the start of this season, but it wasn't a great one, Ashley feeling that he still needed to prove himself.

I would be very,very surprised now if the job didnt go to Pardew. He fits the profile of a manager desperate to get his career back on track, now that his earlier reputation has faded.

I would be very,very surprised now if the job didnt go to Pardew. He fits the profile of a manager desperate to get his career back on track, now that his earlier reputation has faded.

and is apparently mates with them, so yeah it's nailed on isn't it i suppose

oh well

It'd actually be great for football if all managers and players had contracts structured this way, so from an ideological standpoint I really like the approach.

On the other hand, I'm not a complete fantasist who is under any illusions that this sort of approach has much chance of succeeding. No sane manager worth his salt is going to take this kind of deal when other clubs are offering guaranteed contracts and better resources with which to do their jobs.

The net result of course is that we're likely going to get somebody who is out of his depth at this level and the club is going to suffer and cost itself a lot more money than it costs to pay a real manager as a result.

Our only hope is that they find an up and coming young manager with the stones and self-belief to take on such a project. Not that they'd appoint such a man if he were to present himself of course, given that they don't have the first fucking clue what they're doing.

It's a terrible approach. It means the manager has absolutely no security in place - if players pick up injuries, or the squad just sees a temporary drop in form, as is normal in football, the board can get rid of that manager without having to think twice about it. Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, the very best managers in the sport all see their teams suffer lengthy dips in form at some point or another, and that's with some of the best teams/squads in the country, so it's not like this "get paid for results" malarky is reasonable or realistic.

It also means the board have complete control over the manager. Any disagreement would mean the manager gets the sack, which means they just want someone who is a puppet on a string, as opposed to an actual manager who will want to build the club according to his vision.

And why isn't there the same "incentive" for the chairman/board/senior management? Llambias should have been sacked by now after the relegation. I guess it's OK for them to live by different rules.

Rotten to the core.

Guest Brazilianbob

What a load of self serving bo**ocks you lot are talking.

Its a business plan and a good one at that.

Why the hell should a manager like Allerdyce get a payoff of £6m for failing to produce the success the club envisaged.  Its not as if he ewasn't given cash either yet he still walked away laughing his head off.  Its high time managers were only rewarded for bringing success and get nothing for failure!

Why the hell should a manager like Allerdyce get a payoff of £6m for failing to produce the success the club envisaged.  Its not as if he ewasn't given cash either yet he still walked away laughing his head off.  Its high time managers were only rewarded for bringing success and get nothing for failure!

fat sam was sacked after about 6 months man, regardless of all else you can't say he "didn't bring success" ffs :lol:

Its a fine business plan, one which is used throughtout the retail sector, however, if a quality manager has the choice between that pay offer or a nice fat 5 year contract with safety nets built in which one do you think he will choose? - trouble is in the football management world this will only attract the desperate and feckless candidates

I believe that's a fantastic plan of action that will curb the club's spending and give's us potential for a solid future.

What I want to know is how all of his requirements are not met with Chris Hughton, for example.

"1.)The manager will not be handed a treasure trove of cash."

Chris Hughton had a total spend of at best £10 million in his time with Newcastle, that included his 12 months in the Championship. With this he bought Danny Simpson, James Perch, Wayne Routledge, Mike Wiliamson, Hatem Ben Arfa, Cheike Tiote, Dan Gosling, and Peter Lovenkrands. Of those players two at this minute are deemed not good enough and suggested to be sold. That is 5 players for an average of £2m per player in the squad. Include the fact he has brought on players like Andy Carroll, Nile Ranger, Tim Krul, Tamas Kadar and to a lesser extent Haris Vuckic, Shane Ferguson, and Ole Soderberg all players that cost the club under £1 million.

2.)“He will be handsomely rewarded if he brings success to Newcastle United and will not be rewarded if he fails."

It was often claimed Hughton's wage was the lowest in the league for a Manager, even lower than Iain Holloway at Blackpool. He worked with a skeleton staff and even recently waited weeks for a replacement assistant. If the manager is to be rewarded handsomely, where was the former man's reward for successfully guiding Newcastle to promotion? As Champions might I add with a game to spare and with plus one hundred points. I would imagine he was set a similar target of maintaing the club's status in the Premier League this season. As it stands the club sit in 11th position having played 4 of the tougher sides in the league, 3 away 1 at home picking up 4 points in the process, this arguably should be 7 after the debacle that was Man City away.

3.)“The new manager will be expected to buy into the new vision. You get paid by results, developing the club and moving it forward.

Ok, arguably my favourite.

Morale was low prior to last season, it was raised by promotion but come the summer the fantastic claim of 'No capital outlay' had very much dented the spirits of many who had hoped for even some spending in order to secure much needed reinforcements. Now if you want to ignore the fantastic results at West Ham, Arsenal, and Chelsea fine but take Sunderland for a prime example of how good Chris Hughton was.

I am in no way clinging to the idea that it's the best result because it's Sunderland, it is but that's not my point. The subsequent 5-1 hammering of Sunderland spawned a host of merchandise in the club shop, t-shirts, mugs, DVD's but to name a few. A lot of fans chose to purchase these to remember what is considered our best victory in years, a landmark one when you consider it's the biggest win since the 6-1 of 1955 .

In simple terms, he made the club money. Even if he had no say in the signings like Ben Arfa who went on to sell a number of shirts, he made the club money in merchandising. No one with more experience could have done any better than take a side that when he inherited was low on confidence and transform them into Champions and subsequent mid table Premier League players.

In essence he's a giant hypocrite who walked over the nice guy.

Totally agree here!! If this really is the plan, then Hughton was the perfect fit!! i'm all FOR any attempts to change the way the modern game is run. I'm all FOR changing the trajectory of where football is headed to, and injecting it with a fat dose of common sense and bringing it back down to earth. But the hypocrisy in this case is so blatant, assuming it's all true, that it boggles the mind trying to think where and when and WHO is going to lap this plan up and genuinely lead us in the right direction.

Also, this sort of plan eliminates the important required factor of longevity. That, and basically consistency, in football, are crucial to building success from the bottom up. If the manager is on his toes all the time, the players will be as well, causing all sorts of upheavals. With this method, if we're comparing to the retail world, you will have a higher staff turnover rate, and lower staff retention. In football terms, that is a motherfucking recipe for disaster!!

What a load of self serving bo**ocks you lot are talking.

Its a business plan and a good one at that.

I wouldn't argue with that in principle but in reality it will mean getting a shite manager who will only be able to buy shite players with very limited funds. I wonder how that will end up?