The New Coaches thread

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bit random but was reading Lee Sharpe's autobiography at work yesterday (don't ask) and there's a part where he's talking about when O'Leary joined Leeds to be Graham's number two. Graham was giving him a chance to do a few training sessions by himself while he learnt the role, and his first one was to turn the training cones upside down and kick balls off them. :lol:

Thought he was a good coach when he was with England U21's but seems to have struggled when being a manager.  Hopefully he'll come here and do well by falling into the category of good coach/poor manager.

Anyway, we really want him as an assistant not a manager, really the best place to judge that is his U21 stint where there are less managerial demands but more coaching credentials needed.

I think considering what we've had in the past, this is a good appointment. Massive step up on Calderwood imo.

You want a good man manager, that can motivate and be an ear to both the players and the manager. At least that's the atypical Assistant Manager. Again, not sure if Peter Taylor is that, but the youngsters he worked with at U21 level seemed to have positive comments about him from what I've read in the past.

Taylor is a top coach imo.

People say this but his record as a manager is very patchy. Is he classed as good coach because the England U21 team he looked after were very good?

This came across as if you were judging coaching ability based on managerial success.

If you had of got past the bit highlighted you would of seen I was asking the question about where does this coaching rep come from. I just find it strange that a Taylor has this rep as coach & that no major club has employed him as a number 2 or a coach.

Most of those on that Bradford forum seem happy to get shut of him, saying he plays wank long-ball football with no flair.

:lol: It's league 2 ffs, surely the pitches don't allow for much flair?

Well you could argue that it's a pretty poor indictment when even league 2 fans are complaining!

AM I right in saying he's Steven's uncle, or did I imagine reading that a few years ago???

Think you imagined it. Though it's reasonably likely he has a nephew called Steven, it's quite a common name.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Anyway, we really want him as an assistant not a manager, really the best place to judge that is his U21 stint where there are less managerial demands but more coaching credentials needed.

I think considering what we've had in the past, this is a good appointment. Massive step up on Calderwood imo.

You want a good man manager, that can motivate and be an ear to both the players and the manager. At least that's the atypical Assistant Manager. Again, not sure if Peter Taylor is that, but the youngsters he worked with at U21 level seemed to have positive comments about him from what I've read in the past.

Taylor is a top coach imo.

People say this but his record as a manager is very patchy. Is he classed as good coach because the England U21 team he looked after were very good?

This came across as if you were judging coaching ability based on managerial success.

If you had of got past the bit highlighted you would of seen I was asking the question about where does this coaching rep come from. I just find it strange that a Taylor has this rep as coach & that no major club has employed him as a number 2 or a coach.

Spence, I know what you're getting at, but the first sentence still seemed like you were putting the two together in the same category. I think the reputation probably came with the good work he did with the U21, and as Parky mentioned, with Leicester. Don't know anyone who's worked with Taylor that I can ask for a 2nd hand account of his ability though.

Suddenly very interested in finding out more about him, however. Don't think he's done many training books/guides/modules in print to read up on, though I'd have thought there'd be some in the FA Knowledge Base somewhere!

Ashley blatantly going for a straight flush of Taylors.

Peter Taylor

Steven Taylor

Ryan Taylor

Dan Taylor

James Taylor left in the Summer too. Wow.  :lol:

Could probably get Toon's Taylor signed up.

Bit a s*** manager, doesn't mean you're a s*** coach, they're two entirely different roles. Martin O'Niell and Redknapp are good Managers, but their coaching credentials are next to none.

So tell me where Taylor was a good coach at? Where he gained this rep? I can only think of his time with England U21s.

Had good spells at Palace, Hull, Leicester and 2 good stints at Eng U21 where he was very highly valued by the fa.

Give over Parky 2 good stints at England U21 level.

1998 = Failed to make the finals in Romania

2000 = Fairplay his team qualified but he was replaced by H.Wilkinson

2006 = Failed to make the finals in Portugal

That is not good a good record.

We've been crying out for a number two for too long now. Like players, we can't be expecting to attract the top names and top earners. Taylor has plenty of experience - including at International level (albeit Under 21).

Not a bad choice in my opinion.

With Pards & Taylor at the helm we would have guys who know  League 1 & 2 well so we could get a few bargains from the lower leagues.

Good point. There's a lot of talent floating around in the lower leagues, i'd like to see us take a chance on some of it, especially for squad building purposes. ie young LB & RB.

With Pards & Taylor at the helm we would have guys who know  League 1 & 2 well so we could get a few bargains from the lower leagues.

Good point. There's a lot of talent floating around in the lower leagues, i'd like to see us take a chance on some of it, especially for squad building purposes. ie young LB & RB.

Didn't Taylor sign a player this year unaware that he was about to stand trial for assault or something and he ended up spending a few weeks in prison?