Off the Beaten Track Players

Vinny Green Balls

Giorgi Kinkladze.  Was class for about a year when I was a bairn and thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Use to love him! he knew how to dribble.  He would take on 5 or 6 players at times, weaving in and out and turning everyone inside out.  Think he scored a few dinky doo's after a weaving run too.

Eder, the left winger in the Brazil 82 WC team, absolute class but seemed to just disappear after the tournament unlike the likes of Zico, Junior, Socrates and Falcao.  What a team that was,  still can't believe they didn't win the WC.

Eder, the left winger in the Brazil 82 WC team, absolute class but seemed to just disappear after the tournament unlike the likes of Zico, Junior, Socrates and Falcao.  What a team that was,  still can't believe they didn't win the WC.

He was the most one footed player I think I've ever seen.But what a left foot.

the goals he scored against Scotland and Russia (i think) were quality,  a brilliant chip against the Jocks and then ran onto a square pass, flicked it up and volleyed it into the top corner from 25 yards and never broke stride.

the goals he scored against Scotland and Russia (i think) were quality,  a brilliant chip against the Jocks and then ran onto a square pass, flicked it up and volleyed it into the top corner from 25 yards and never broke stride.

All with the left,mind.Even the flick up and volley was exclusively left peg.

They had that wonderful midfield of Eder, Cerezo, Socrates, Zico and Falcao, but up front they had the ungainly figure of Serginho, who probably wouldn't have made it into any other Brazil team before or since.

But yes, I remember at the time they were a sensation. Even non-football fans were talking about them.

maldini, signori, leonardo, m. laudrup, elkjær, woodgate, shearer, maradona, luis enrique, gazza.....

not so much off the beaten track as in the inside lane of the metrocentre bypass at tea time during the christmas rush.

They had that wonderful midfield of Eder, Cerezo, Socrates, Zico and Falcao, but up front they had the ungainly figure of Serginho, who probably wouldn't have made it into any other Brazil team before or since.

But yes, I remember at the time they were a sensation. Even non-football fans were talking about them.

Serginho was a poor man's Justin Fashanu.Shocking player.

Serginho was a poor man's Justin Fashanu.Shocking player.

Only player ever to make Zanetti look like a mug.