Tottenham 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/12/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

:thup: Coloccini

:thdn: Jonas, Lovenkrands, Smith

Why is Loven a thumbs down? Granted his touch wasn't great but would any of our other players get into position he did? That last flick he had that nearly went in was pretty clever too.

I'm just really bitter about that second goal. And rightly or wrongly, I blame him totally.

:lol: ok

Guest sicko2ndbest

Lovens first touch for their 2nd was abysmal. A decent touch and it could have been 1-1

Krul - 8 - world class save. Did ok overall

Simpson - 6 - Steady

Perch - 5 - Ok until it came to closing down for the goal

Colo - 6 - Average

Taylor - 6 - Average

Jonas - 5 - Didnt really pose any attacking threat

Barton - 6 - Tried a lot of worldies. Forced it far too often

Tiote - 7 - Good as usual

Rout - 6 - Not as bad as some are making out. Not enough quality on delivery. Probably as good as he can play

Carroll - 6 - One of his poorer games. Dawson and Kaboul won their fair share and were generally comfortable

Smith - 6 - Probably as good as he can play

Loven - 5 - s*** touch for their 2nd

Ranger - 4- offered nothing

In conclusion

If we do not have our first choice xi out we are a distinctly average side. Beyond that the reserve list is either no better, untested or over the hill.

Spurs only got into 3rd gear today and that was still far too good for us

I think many players on the pitch today played as well as we can expect them to, they are simply not good enough. It is vital we pick up 3 points against Wigan

Pardew has been awful, like. You can't deny it.

i've been saying this for a week now, he's come in and changed things that didnt need changing, and he's actively ruining what little edge we had.

What exactly has he changed?

Taken Barton off the wing for a start.

Been more down to injuries and the like.

no

Yes.

do you mean against man city when he had all the personell available that he needed to play barton on the right? or today when he had all the personell he needed available to play barton on the right? just like since williamson's been available again he's stuck with taylor?

barton on the right feeding carroll was the ONLY thing we had going for us for f***s sake

Sure forget the fact that Ameobi (who Hughton played before) was injured against City and Nolan was suspended for this game, twist the facts all you want

we still had the personell to do it, why are you making excuses for him?

I don't think there was too much between the sides in terms of basic performance. For long periods we matched them in most areas and I was fairly happy. Where the difference was eventually found was the superior pace, creatrivity and composure in front of goal they had. Despite decent possession and pressure we didn't really create anything clear cut and it was inevitable that they would score.

Poor defending from Perch for the first. Stood off Lennon and let him run at him which is asking for trouble and he got duly punished. Nothing Krul could do, a tidy finish a lot like Walcott's last night. The second was what had become classic Spurs. Lightning quick counter attack finished off by a player in great form. I think we stood off Bale though and let him get into the box meaning we can't really touch him. He should have been smashed when he picked it up closer to the touchline.

We clearly missed Jose, let's hope he's not out for too long, and the link play of Nolan. Barton's delivery was awful today which was a big difference as he's been good all season. Spurs were all over AC and went down an awful lot without much contact - obviously a result of exposure to European football.

In all honesty I wasn't expecting anything other than a defeat, once I saw the team I was convinced we'd get pounded, so that we managed to at least compete for most of the match was a bonus. The limitations of our squad were shown up though and it has proved once more how much we need to improve the squad in January as opposed to sell our best players.

On to the DW we go before West Ham come to SJP, we should really be looking for maximum points otherwise the xmas/new year period will have been very disappointing.

Guest kingdawson

harrys not disputing the red,

surprised

Tbf to Redknapp he rarely disputes referee decisions when it comes to red cards. Didn't even claim the Defoe red was a bad decision.

Anyway as for the match today i can't really speak about it as i only listened via radio. Will have to watch it when i get home.

harrys not disputing the red,

surprised

Tbf to Redknapp he rarely disputes referee decisions when it comes to red cards. Didn't even claim the Defoe red was a bad decision.

Anyway as for the match today i can't really speak about it as i only listened via radio. Will have to watch it when i get home.

I'd only watch the last 3mins of the 1st and the 2nd half if I was you. You'll miss nothing.

I thought it was a clear red-card. Him & Tiote went eye to eye, Kaboul shoved his head forward. Idiot.

Be docking him wages if i was Redknapp. Daft. Don't know what Tiote said to him but he reacted horrendously. Very silly red.

Looked woefully out of ideas today, although I can completely understand the game-plan; we were away to an in-form team who are very dangerous going forward.

We looked to load the midfield and frustrate them while feeding the long ball to Carroll- desperately hoping to nick a goal and then hold on.

However, these tactics operate on the assumption that a)we are sturdy defensively and b) our deliveries into the box (from either set pieces and open play) are reasonably precise. We failed on both fronts unfortunately, James Perch is a mess and had no chance against the threat of Lennon while our deliveries were horrendously sub-par.

To state the obvious: we've been alot worse since Spurs went down to 10 men. And that's entirely because Pardew has unbalanced the entire side with his substitutions.

Nothing to do with the fact that we pushed up higher to try and get the equalizer due to our numerical advantage and got caught on the break. Sure! You would prefer the Hughton way of just standing there looking smug and bringing on Ranger in the 85th minute, at least we won't lose our shape ya!

I'm not quite sure how either of your points are meant to negate the notion that Pardew cocked things up after Spurs went down to 10 men. They're not even mutually exclusive, because it's possible that:

1) Spurs scored on the break after we pushed up looking for an equalizer AND Pardew's subsitutions made the team play worse (e.g. sticking Joey Barton, our only likely source of creativity, on the left wing for a while), and

2) Pardew's willingness to make early, active changes may be better than Hughton's inactivity in similar situations, but Pardew still got things badly wrong in the decisions he did make.

Bit disappointing but not the end of the world. Matched them in the first half fairly comfortably bar the last 60 seconds but not as good after the break. Missed Enrique as Lennon wouldn't have scored that goal had he been playing. Not enough going forward but the substitutions showed good attacking intent even if they didn't have the desired effect. As with the last game, they were just that bit more clinical - they exploited two half chances with great finishes and showed the difference between a promoted team and a champions league team.

Nothing to get too downhearted about there, although Wigan is a huge game now.

Pretty depressing how the fortunes of these two clubs have gone in exactly opposite directions over the past five years.

We used to be competitive with this lot. When will that happen again?

they'll run out of money, and it'll go tits up. give it a couple of seasons

Pretty depressing how the fortunes of these two clubs have gone in exactly opposite directions over the past five years.

We used to be competitive with this lot. When will that happen again?

they'll run out of money, and it'll go tits up. give it a couple of seasons

The Champions League $$$ will help with that.

Pisses me off that there's now a "second layer" of teams who we'll never be competitive with developing under the big 4. At least Liverpool are out of it for now, however temporary that may be.

The radio said Kaboul's red was deserved btw and that Tiote should have also seen red for persistant fouling.

Kaboul's was and Tiote was certainly pushing his luck. Thought the incident he actually got his yellow from was extremely harsh though. He played very well when he wasn't going mental but I was still a little surprised he didn't get taken off earlier as he looked in trouble for a while.

Amazing what two wingers who can produce something can do for you mind. Oh for the days of Robert and Solano.

This, would love to see Caroll have that sort of service.

Even Ginola and Gillespie would do

Amazing what two wingers who can produce something can do for you mind. Oh for the days of Robert and Solano.

This, would love to see Caroll have that sort of service.

Even Ginola and Gillespie would do

:lol:

Amazing amount of kneejerk reactions on here. Too sloppy passages of defending cost us today simple as.

and the inability to create any sort of attack.

and I'm not leaving until everyone agrees that it is not the fault of Pardew's tactics or (forced) team selection but the obvious lack depth in the quality in the squad.

Some of the anti-Pardew shit on here is very ill thought out. Tottenham are a far better team than we are and it showed today.

Krul 6.5 A better performance. Don't think he could have got anywhere near the first one from Lennon but he perhaps didn't get his angles right with the Bale goal though that was very well struck. Great save at the end of the first to keep us in it.

Perch 6 Questionable choice by Pardew to replace Enrique. I think he was picked for his pace over Kadar. Didn't do as bad as most people feared and did well to keep with Lennon when they were attacking down his side early in the second half. Drifted too far inside and gave Lennon a bit too much room on his right foot in the second half. Offered nothing going foward and is pretty weak in the passing game. I hope Kadar is chosen next time.

Colo 7 No mistakes at the back but I was particularly disappointed  to see him long ball at as much as he did. He is great on the deck and the stuff we played today was wasting his talent.

Saylor 6.5 Could possibly have covered his angles better on Bale's goal and showed him onto his weaker foot. Criminally left Pavylchenko run off him for an unmarked header with that Krul super save at the end of the first half .

Simpson 7 Kept Bale relatively quiet. Played defensively but had to against such a dangerous winger

Jonas 6 Offered little going forward, only the cross for Carroll early on sticks out as a contribution. Enrique not playing made Jonas look like an even lamer duck out there. A definite position to strengthen asap.

Smith 7 Happy with the way he played today and did get in some good challenges. Was tidy but of course isn't a creative player which is what we were lacking today. MOdric and VDV didn't get much space or time which was part of the gameplan and both he and Tiote did well to block many avenues and Tottenham's short passing game outside the box.

Tiote 7 Decent performance but was lucky to stay on. Was undisciplined with his tackles, but is a tidy passer of the ball and did have one or two runs through the midfield. Credit to him for keeping his cool and not going to ground after Kaboul's headbutt. Handled it very well.

Routledge 5.5 Totally gash today. Can't recall anything positive as he couldn't cross today and fluffed an opportunity by creaming himself when the ball fell to him when Ranger was in prime position for a cross.

Barton 5.5 The difference between Tottenham and us is that they have creative players through the centre like Modric and VDV who create chances and get behind the defence with neat passing all over the pitch including just putside the box. Barton is the only comparable player and he let us down today. His set pieces were just horrible and just could not find his range with his passing at all. He did however fight hard and got through alot of work and his short passing game was okay.

Carroll 6.5 As always, was a workhorse up front, but when he is fed shit instead of hale things aren't always going to work. Wasted a free kick that would have looked very embarrassing had it not hit a defender. Looked tired to me and understandably. Leaning on him too heavily

Ranger 6 Didn't have any impact on our play.

Lovenkrands 6 Not a winger but his touch when he was in acres of space in the box was very ordinary and greatly reduced the danger from that particular attack.

Team 7 Noone can question the commitment of any player today. As mentioned Smith and Tiote were able to stop Modric and VDV to not influencing the game too much but we just didn't have anyone in the side that looked like creating anything. Even when we had a 1 man advantage i thought Tottenham looked more likely to score which isn't good enough. Our passing outside and into the box were woeful and a key contributer to our loss today. Tottenham are a better side and it's hard to be too critical after a loss at White Hart Lane aganist to strongest Spurs side in a long time.

Pardew 6.5 Choosing Perch over Kadar was a mistake in my opinion but i can understand why he did it. The way we played today lacked and flair or guile and we are definitely over using the long ball to Carroll tactic, though I will agree he is a little limited with choices by what he has at the club. Rolled the dice a little by leaving Tiote on the pitch who seemed very hungry for a read card. Do we have a plan B? As of yet he hasn't shown us one.