Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 02/01/11 - post match reaction from p39

Dave

Good win

Think the subs were for fitness reasons, give nolan and shola a rest since we need them fit for wednesday.

well done pards

We got 3 points, that's all I care about. A bit more quality in the final 3rd which we all know we're missing and we would've won this easily. Hopefully with a few additions we'll add that bit of quality.

Not sure about some of the comments regarding Taylor, his passing at times was a bit average but his defending was fine as far as I could see. There were others who gave the ball away more.

Either way lets move onto the next game and enjoy the 3 points. Some people on here dwell on things far too much.

Guest TrueToon

If Shola lost this lazy attitude he seems to have he could be a really good player, But half the time he only makes half an effort, then other times he sprints and is lively..It's extremely frustrating to watch..or am i reading too much into it?

If Shola lost this lazy attitude he seems to have he could be a really good player, But half the time he only makes half an effort, then other times he sprints and is lively..It's extremely frustrating to watch..or am i reading too much into it?

(time machine back to 2000)

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Shola's always been like this, and will never change

Shola looked stoned as f*** in that post match interview.

Might have just puked up or something.

Chuffed to bits with the win and performance - Tiote and Barton were excellent and Shola put in a good shift too. The DW isn't an easy place to bag a win at all, despite how poorly Wigan have been doing. Bring on West Ham on Weds. :)

Guest TrueToon

(time machine back to 2000)

Yeah of course but it's frustrating that an eye rentching problem never seems to improve!

Guest TrueToon

Shola's always been like this, and will never change

I know,Just pointing out the lack of improvement in 10 years..Frustrating

Wigan at DW stadium - Ryan Taylor free kicks = Sexy Results.

Minus N'Zogbia as well, think that was a big plus for us.

Yeah but this is how matches against Wigan in the past could have been without Ryan Taylor's cuntish free kicks.

:thup: :thup: Barton, Tiote, Coloccini

:thup: Enrique, Jonas, Routledge, Simpson

:thdn: Nobody, although I wasn't pleased with those substitutions. Ranger needed to play.

Its great to actually win a 'must win' game. The performance was great and thought the game wasn't too bad. Said after the Wham match that it was the worst opposition performance I'd ever seen, but today really pushes it close - Wigan were truly dire. Horrible little team, lets hope they get relegated and never come back.

Our fans were incredible today and Sky kept frothing over them - but they really were something to be proud of. Well done everyone! Mentioned yesterday how being three points behind 11th, we were in danger of being stuck with the bottom lot. But that win actually puts us with the better bunch and if we get something on Wednesday night, I think we'll be alright. Special mention to Barton today, who was involved in everything and is such a vital player for us, especially whilst Carroll is out.

Roll on Wednesday  :clap:

:thdn: Nobody, although I wasn't pleased with those substitutions. Ranger needed to play.

Its great to actually win a 'must win' game. The performance was great and thought the game wasn't too bad. Said after the Wham match that it was the worst opposition performance I'd ever seen, but today really pushes it close - Wigan were truly dire. Horrible little team, lets hope they get relegated and never come back.

Our fans were incredible today and Sky kept frothing over them - but they really were something to be proud of. Well done everyone! Mentioned yesterday how being three points behind 11th, we were in danger of being stuck with the bottom lot. But that win actually puts us with the better bunch and if we get something on Wednesday night, I think we'll be alright. Special mention to Barton today, who was involved in everything and is such a vital player for us, especially whilst Carroll is out.

It's weird isn't it? :lol: It's not like us at all.

Aye, they seemed in top voice like. Must be horrible to be a Wigan ST holder with 10 empty seats either side and a 1/3 of the crowd at home not even supporting their team.

6 points clear of the drop, scrappy but deserved win. Rather Happy.  :thup:

Fantastic 3 points on the road against a very very poor Wigan. No way on earth will Wigan get 6 more points than us from the rest of the fixtures so there's one side I think we'll finish above. Wolves could well become the second given their next 6 games. If we manage to turn West Ham over on Wednesday then they could well be the third. Fingers crossed. :)

Thought Pardew got it pretty much spot on with formations, tactics and subs. Would have brought Ranger on instead of Best but we got the win so it's all good. Can't complain with a win and a clean sheet away without our top scorer and best player. Played lads.  :clap: 

Very scrappy game. We battled hard and deserved to win, but you can't say much else.

We struggled to hold on to the ball in midfield where Nolan looked seriously off the pace. Fortunately, Tiote does the work of two men, and our back four didn't come under much pressure.

Bit frustrating in the end because the scoreline really doesn't reflect our superiority in the game, no matter how patchy we played. Shola and Taylor missed absolute sitters which would have cost us the points against a better side.

Guest andrew

harper- 6. not much to do

simpson- 7. turning into a good player

taylor- 6.5. generally solid

coloccini- 7. classy

enrique- 6. "alright". some sloppy passes, good ball for jonas

barton- 8. excellent

nolan- 6. quiet,

tiote- 9. brilliant display

gutierrez- 8- playing a lot better

ameobi- 7.5- stepped up to the occasion, faded

lovenkrands- 7. getting unjustified criticism imo

The most encouraging thing for me was the way in which we started. Very much going at them from the start and wrestling control of the game with the deserved goal and maintaining the pressure thereafter.

Far too many points have been squandered this season by sitting back and letting the oppsition make the first move, both home and away. Criminally so in the reverse fixture.

The most encouraging thing for me was the way in which we started. Very much going at them from the start and wrestling control of the game with the deserved goal and maintaining the pressure thereafter.

Far too many points have been squandered this season by sitting back and letting the oppsition make the first move, both home and away. Criminally so in the reverse fixture.

You've very much hit the nail on its rather shiny round head.