The Direction of the Club

Cunning_Linguist

I realise this thread might Stir up a Hornets Nest but be good to hear peoples thoughts.

How do you feel about the direction of the club.

I am not your 'Hardcore' Supporter and I only get to see a handful of games every season BUT I do feel that the club is (Slowly but Surely) moving in the right direction. That does not shy away from the fact that the Board etc have made some chuffin awful decisions but some good has happened.

The Club has hade significantly less Transfer Budget but, for the money that has been spent, the club has aquired some reasonable players. Not all are good BUT they all play as a team and formed a sense of Unity. I know CH would have inspred this but its not ALL down to him. We have needed a player like Tiote for a long time and what a barhain he is proving to be despite the fact that Yellow is his favourite colour.

We are getting some good results. It has been quite a while since I can remember Newcastle beating a top team in the cup in fact Patrick Kluiverts Goal against Chelsea in the (FA?) Cup was the last one I can remember right now. We have beaten ARsenal at the Emirates and Liverpool who we got Shanked by in our relegation season. I know we have had some poor results this season but is it really such a shame that we lost to Blackpool and Bolton considering how they have played so far this season?

Although there is still a Circus always ready to pounce on the club but I for one certainly feel that the club is not the laughing stock that it was in the 2 seasons before we got relegated.

We are starting to see a few more Reserve players come through (I know some may feel that this was a forced hand through the lack of squad depth) but we really are seeing some good kids coming through. I know that this season is all about safety (on top of winning the league of course  :pow: ) but if we reach a point where we are safe with a few games to go would be good to see some more ressies coming in for a bit of experience maybe?

Discuss

One step forward, two steps back.

:thup: If we're putting things in a nutshell, i think we're more likely to go down again than get into Europe again. What's most likely is that we'll become your bog-standard 9th-14th-also-ran fodder on a permanent basis. The structure and motives we have in place at the club (above team level) are not those of a club really progressing.

If Pardew achieves the equivalent of what Hughton did (aye, right), there's nothing to say Ashley and Co will find another loophole to shaft him n'all.

I'll wait to see what happens with Carroll.  I think that will tell us more about the direction of the club.  Keep him and I might start to have some faith, sell him and I will think what's the point.

Ashley made a bad job of it over the first two years, which he's held his hand up to. A lot of people feel that he'll continue to blunder, but I don't see it that way. I think he's more committed and more confident than he's been before, and he now has that experience under his belt.

It'll be interesting to see what effect the new financial fair play rules will have. It should work to our advantage.

We need perhaps that one special signing that's going to spark things to life, like Bellamy a few years ago, or Beardsley. It might be Ben Arfa, although he may still have a considerable learning curve ahead of him.

Guest BooBoo

Scrape away the mountains of shit and the Ashley regime has had a few good and sensible ideas. It's all undermined by penny pinching and shameless exploitation though.

Ashley is always liable to drop a shitebomb over the club, but when you look at Blackburn now it does make you think. I would love someone to come in to takeover, but I'm not as desperate as I might be thanks to the likes of Shinawatra, the Indians at Blackburn and even City's owners. I can honestly say I'd hate to go down their road.

The club isn't in danger of going out of business and while there's no doubt Ashley is a complete mong, the grass isn't always greener. It's not ideal but we might have to suck it up for a few years and make the best of it.

The direction of the club is almost impossible to call, though. One step forwards, two back sums it up well.

Ashley made a bad job of it over the first two years, which he's held his hand up to. A lot of people feel that he'll continue to blunder, but I don't see it that way. I think he's more committed and more confident than he's been before, and he now has that experience under his belt.

He has continued to blunder though - sacking Hughton was one, hiring Pardew was another. Both pointless and reckless things to do.

I'll wait to see what happens with Carroll.  I think that will tell us more about the direction of the club.  Keep him and I might start to have some faith, sell him and I will think what's the point.

this sort of thing really, it remains to be seen what ashley's intent is once the youngsters start to reach their potential. if its cash in (as i expect) we're fucked for as long as he's here, if its to continue to build the squad around them with sensible buys then fair enough. after that the next crucial decision will be when to bring in a manager that can take us further than pardew.

He has continued to blunder though - sacking Hughton was one, hiring Pardew was another. Both pointless and reckless things to do.

True, but even chancers become millionaires.

this sort of thing really, it remains to be seen what ashley's intent is once the youngsters start to reach their potential. if its cash in (as i expect) we're fucked for as long as he's here, if its to continue to build the squad around them with sensible buys then fair enough. after that the next crucial decision will be when to bring in a manager that can take us further than pardew.

:thup:

this sort of thing really, it remains to be seen what ashley's intent is once the youngsters start to reach their potential. if its cash in (as i expect) we're f***ed for as long as he's here, if its to continue to build the squad around them with sensible buys then fair enough. after that the next crucial decision will be when to bring in a manager that can take us further than pardew.

:thup:

Financially, the club is in a much better position - this would be a major plus IF you could see progress being as good on the field and in the playing area generally.

It appears that there is more concentration on bringing through younger talent, and some of the youngsters(like Ferguson)have done well when called on, but others, such as Ranger, clearly have temperament issues which are affecting their development. I don't blame Pardew one bit for trying to whip him back into line over things like lateness for training etc ; what do some of these guys think they are ? He is picking up good money for keeping fit and doing what most fans would do for far less, given the chance.

I am no fan of Pardew and his appointment is yet another disappointing(and baffling)move by Ashley, but I reckon any manager worth his salt would take issue with sloppy and lazy behaviour by young players.

Looking at first team developments, some signings have been good value(Tiote, HBA etc) but you have to say that there will always be a worry over Carroll's likely move - some of this is because everyone knows Ashley will sell for the right money but I don't think it will be a cheap fee when he does. The other problem is that with Ashley's tight rein on transfers/wages, there is a good chance that Carroll will see that he is only going to win things away from SJP...just as his predecessors(Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle)did before him. We cannot use Shearer as an opposing argument because he was almost 26 when he joined the club and had won a PL medal with Blackburn - Carroll is only 21 and has already realised his boyhood dreams by playing for NUFC since he was 18.

So, in summary - good financial management, but a bad balance between that and necessary team building which means the club probably has a secure, but mediocre future IF we stay in the PL this season.