FA Cup 3rd round: Stevenage v Newcastle United (Sat 8th Jan 5:30pm KO on ESPN)

Disco

Was in favour of playing a full strength XI and putting as many past them as possible until I realised it was the week before the derby.  :cheesy:

An XI of mostly fringe/squad players with one or two older heads should be enough to see this lot off. (Liked Ronaldo's line-up actually, had a nice blend)

0-2

Krul

Tavernier - Williamson- Kadar - Enrique

Routledge - Guthrie - Nolan - Ferguson

Lovenkrands - Ranger

Subs: Harper, Xisco, Barton, Gosling, Collocini, Vuckic, Perch

I would've put Perch on instead of Enrique but I didn't like the idea of a Ferguson-Perch left side.

I didn't realise how shockingly thin on the ground we are until I picked the bench. I think it'll comes down to the severity of the injuries though. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few others are available to be picked. But I've tried to avoid including any here.

Those who are talking about fielding what is basically a reserve side are forgetting two things. Firstly we are not Arsenal, we need to have a core of first team strength with a couple of fringe players making up the team to make sure we get through, give some respect to Stevenage, they are not going to turn round, bare their arses and just let us rip them a new arsehole. If we want to be in the 4th round come Saturday night I think we need a stronger team than just our reserves to get there. Secondly the fans are paying £30 to see the game. I would feel mightily cheated if having paid that I was faced with a team full of reserves. Ok put the likes of Krul, Ferguson, Kadar and Ranger in, but there is no need to completely change the team and it would be unfair to the paying fans to do so.

I'm going and I bought the ticket with this in mind tbh. I know it'll be mainly reserves and it's a balancing act, but I don't think anyone's paid thirty quid expecting to see our first eleven. I went to the Arsenal league cup match and was slightly peeved that we didn't go all out, but the mackem match showed I was wrong to feel like that. Same goes this time with Sunderland coming up again next week.

Put a team out that can win the game and make sure we have some game-changers on the bench just in case. I think we'll win 3-1.

One player i wouldn't even be thinking of been in the team is Jose,  already missed the spurs game over the festve period with a hamstring tweak,  with his history of hamstring injuries i would be telling him to put his feet up for a few days, in fact i'd have even offer him the chance to go back to Spain for a few days. 

Krul

Tavernier  Williamson  Kadar  Perch

Routledge  Vuckic  Smith  Ferguson

Ranger  Xisco

:nods:

Söderberg or Harper on the bench though?

Just to taunt them, I reckon we assemble a bench consisting of Pardew and 7 German Shepherds.

None of Smith, Xisco or Guthrie has a future at the club so what's the point really playing them? This is a great chance to give a run out for the more promising youngsters like Vuckic, Rangers etc. Sure it's not going to be an easy one if Pardew goes Arsenal like full youth team(what I much doubt though) but I still believe we should win it pretty confortably...I'd like to see something as below

Krul

Perch  Williamson Kadar  Ferguson

Gosling     Vuckic     Inman

Best        Ranger    Moyo

Gosling won't be ready to start a game. Vuckic, Inman, Moyo? :lol:

I don't see what the issue is?

Those 3 would cost us the game IMO. Playing boys with no experience generally doesnt help you win games.

Ok, we'll play Alan Smith instead, he has plenty of experience. :thup:

There's nothing wrong with blooding youngsters in a game like this, as long as there is a good balance of experience to help them out. We're playing Stevenage ffs.

Well that would be silly, he's knacked.

Theres no youth/experience balance to that team though - it's practically all kids with one or 2 with experience hoyed in.

I didn't say I agreed with the team selected, only highlighted there'd be nothing wrong if those three played, provided the team around them was going to be beneficial to them and enable us to win the game.

------------------------ Krul

R. Taylor -- Campbell -- Williamson -- Kadar

---------------------- Smith ----------------------

Routledge -----------------------------Ferguson 

---------------------- Vuckic ----------------------

---------------- Ranger -- Best ------------------