Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

You're arguing with yourself man :lol: Nobody is 'happy' with what happened.

There are plenty saying they are not bothered about the result which is just as bad.  The fans who act like that don't deserve us to win a trophy.

:facepalm:

It was a freak result. Just because people aren't crying their eyes out and rioting down Northumberland Street doesn't mean they don't care. People got their anger out, shrugged their shoulders and got back to focussing the league.

Yes it's a terrible result, but it's not the end of the world - NUFC have been disappointing us like this in cup competitions for years. I would say the Birmingham 5-1 was worse than this.

The second sentence is a ridiculous thing to say btw - and this is coming from someone who really wanted us to give it a go.

Too f***ing right it was, I was one of the few that stayed till the end at that game. Matty Pattison on the left, f*** me.

f***ing hell, so getting beat off a team that was only 12 places below us is worse than a team 73 places.

Deary me, some f***ing idiots in this place.

:lol: :lol: You realise you're seen as the main moron on here right?

Hmm, at least I take stick unlike others on here and put my viewpoint across.  Too many fans with short memories about what the cup means to NUFC.

You can take stick? You can't even take a defeat against a League Two side without wanting to slit your wrists :lol:

To be fair to the Nees, yesterday was one of the most embarrassing performances in Newcastle's recent history  :sadnod:

To shrug it of as "just one of those games" is ludicrous. Obviously there's no point in dwelling on it but the players who played yesterday certainly have to do a lot to make up for the shitfest that was yesterday's performance.

Guest BooBoo

Generally speaking "this group of lads" will usually bounce back from a shit result with at very least a vastly improved performance. Unlike our sides of the past, I think this lot generally care about the clubs fortunes and as such should be busting a gut next weekend. I'm not saying we'll go to the SOS and annihilate them but I'm certain we'll see a positive reaction.

Generally speaking "this group of lads" will usually bounce back from a shit result with at very least a vastly improved performance. Unlike our sides of the past, I think this lot generally care about the clubs fortunes and as such should be busting a gut next weekend. I'm not saying we'll go to the SOS and annihilate them but I'm certain we'll see a positive reaction.

We fucking should do.

Generally speaking "this group of lads" will usually bounce back from a s*** result with at very least a vastly improved performance. Unlike our sides of the past, I think this lot generally care about the clubs fortunes and as such should be busting a gut next weekend. I'm not saying we'll go to the SOS and annihilate them but I'm certain we'll see a positive reaction.

:sadnod:

I think the criticism levelled at neesy above is pretty ridiculous, tbh.

Yeah, because him calling others 'fucking idiots' is all fine :thup:

Ppl should of left him alone, their all retards.

Guest BooBoo

It was pretty grim yesterday but i've definitely seen worse. I very rarely leave before the end, if I do it would be minute before final whistle, but I left at half time when we lost at Wigan in the league cup a few years ago under Souness. It was 0-0 when I left but it was the most inept, gutless display i've ever seen from us regardless of the scoreline.

That Wigan game for me remains the most abject showing I've seen by a Newcastle side. It might have only been 1-0 but we were hammered for 90 minutes by Wigan's reserves taking on our strongest side at the time.

It was pretty grim yesterday but i've definitely seen worse. I very rarely leave before the end, if I do it would be minute before final whistle, but I left at half time when we lost at Wigan in the league cup a few years ago under Souness. It was 0-0 when I left but it was the most inept, gutless display i've ever seen from us regardless of the scoreline.

That Wigan game for me remains the most abject showing I've seen by a Newcastle side. It might have only been 1-0 but we were hammered for 90 minutes by Wigan's reserves taking on our strongest side at the time.

http://nufc.com/html/2005-06html/2005-11-30wigan-a-cc4.html

makes for grim reading, like.

Guest BooBoo

I remember some particularly irate Toon fan thumping Freddie Shepherds Range Rover as it left the JJB shouting "FUCKING END IT MAN, GET RID OF HIM!"

How ppl can be happy with that result is beyond me.  The players and management have humiliated the club, fans and city.

Perch, smith and routledge can all f*** off to league 2 as that is their level.

Howay man, it's not the first time we've been knocked out the cup by a team lower down the divisions than us. It's not the end of the world :lol:

EDIT: And who's 'happy' with the result?

God man this is the worst performance in more than 15 years I've been watching nufc.  Too many ppl on here have short minds about what the cup means to NUFC.

And you seem to have forgotten every good result we've had this year. Let the mongs from their shithole with a train station have their moment. If we'd lost to Wigan and West Ham but beaten Stevenage would I be happy? Would I f***.

EDIT: Just seen your quip about Routledge. f*** off with that s***, you accuse other people of being short sighted but you've completely forgotten about the effect Routledge had on our championship winning season.

As far as Routledge is concerned, his contribution to the CCC season is in the past. David Kelly gave far more to the club than Routledge ever has and KK let him go to Wolves after we got promoted because, rightly or wrongly, he didn't see him as a PL player. That is also many people's view of Routledge, including mine and he has done little to dispel that since we went up. He has been allowed to leave every PL club he played for....that tells it all.

That Wigan line-up aswell, fucking hell.

Well I'm sure the last thing you want to hear is a Spurs supporter's view, but it was the only full game I got to watch in the 3rd round, so here goes.

Given your line-up, the only thing truly shocking for me was how good Stevenage were. There have been a few comments about the lack of desire and commitment from Newcastle, but I didn't see too much of that. The game simply showed up the lack of depth in your squad. Having made allowances for Barton being woefully out of position at LM, every other player performed at the level I would have expected. Krul was a little shaky, and Perch is Perch (although also out of position). Other than that, the defence was exposed time and time again by an ineffective midfield. I wondered if that early injury got to Nolan, but even so, he and Smith were lamentable. As for the forwards, well they're just not very good, and there was little or no hold-up play. If your midfield is getting overrun then the forwards have to give them a chance to recover - something they signally failed to do.

Stevenage were playing in familiar positions with familiar players around them and it showed. They were well-drilled and confident, and usually had at least one passing option, often out wide. Smith, Best, Lovenkrands and Perch are really not great, and when you couple that with your best player out of position and unconvincing games from Nolan, Routledge and Williamson, that doesn't leave much. In particular, when your midfield is getting outplayed (and they really were) in these games you need some class up front to tell. I think you could have replaced either Best or Lovenkrands with Carroll and won comfortably despite that midfield, although obviously that wasn't an option.

Tough to know what Pardew should have done, although Lovenkrands on the wing is never the answer. Guthrie and Barton in the middle, Best and Ranger up front, kids like Ferguson or Kadar? None of it's convincing. Your first XI is pretty good, particularly Tiote and Carroll, but after that there's a BIG drop-off. We had to play BAE yet again today because there is no cover at LB, and I'd have thought Jonas should have played for exactly the same reason. At least people can largely play in their proper position then.

A really good post leftie - you got it in one. As you say, too much gap between first teamers and the remainder of the squad. This cannot be passed off as 'just one of those things'(how many times have NUFc fans said this after cup defeats to lower sides!?), and your point about lack of hold-up play from the forwards is spot on. Only Carroll is decent at that, Shola is hopeless and as for Lovenkrands.....

Thanks for your comments - well thought out without any digs..!

Even more grim is the date. Over 5 years ago, it seems like yesterday.

Sunday Sun reckoned we had a near full strength team out, I counted 4 first choice players and one of those was Simpson who probably wouldn't be if there was any competition at RB.

we had as full a strength a side as we could muster tbh with the injuries and harper on compassionate leave

Sunday Sun reckoned we had a near full strength team out, I counted 4 first choice players and one of those was Simpson who probably wouldn't be if there was any competition at RB.

we had as full a strength a side as we could muster tbh with the injuries and harper on compassionate leave

Was he? For what?