John Carver

Guest neesy111

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-you-have-to-admire-john-carvers-passion-but-its-difficult-to-see-newcastle-winning-remaining-games-in-fight-to-avoid-drop-10233415.html

Paul Scholes column: You have to admire John Carver's passion but it's difficult to see Newcastle winning remaining games in fight to avoid drop

EXCLUSIVE: Former team-mates tell me he is a great coach. But I can't see him winning a game out of his last three

PAUL SCHOLES  Author Biography  Thursday 07 May 2015

St James’ Park was always, in the course of my career, a great place to play football, for the wildness of the crowd and the no-holds-barred football that both my team, Manchester United, and Newcastle would play. We had some wonderful games against them – crazy games, really – like the two in the 2002-03 title-winning season when we won 5-3 at Old Trafford and 6-2 at their place.

And, yes, there were times when they beat us as well, including the 5-0 at St James’ Park in October 1996, the season after we had caught them to win the first Premier League title of my career. Looking back at the results, I have to say overall we came off the best. I scored seven goals in all at St James’ Park, including a hat-trick in the 6-2 game in April 2003 that I treasure as one of my happiest football memories.

Whenever we played Newcastle, even the Kevin Keegan teams of the mid-1990s, I sensed something different about the club. At United, my United, we had been honed into a ruthless team who played great football but, ultimately, were there to win football matches and league titles. At Newcastle they could certainly play on their day, and the crowd was formidable, but there was a weakness – a vulnerability that you could seek out.

As a club, there was never any middle ground with Newcastle. They were as high as the sky or in a pit of despair. Even the results bore it out. Four months before we lost 5-0 at St James’ Park in 1996 we beat Newcastle 4-0 in the Charity Shield at Wembley in August. I have checked the Newcastle line-ups for those two games. It was an identical XI on both occasions.

Newcastle could be an emotional wreckage. I don’t mean that disparagingly, it just felt that with them you could come up against a brilliant team, or a side waiting to be beaten. The culture of the club seems to have stayed the same, and now they find themselves dropping down the table like a stone and in danger of relegation unless they can turn one of their last three games into a win. And the emotion of the place, well, it must be at fever pitch now.

I recognise the qualities that make Newcastle such a great place to play football in their current manager, John Carver. He is passionate. He loves the club. Former team-mates tell me he is a great coach. But I can’t see him winning a game out of his last three.

It is hard for assistants to step up. I worked with many great assistants to Sir Alex Ferguson over the years. Yet sometimes a manager’s second-in-command is more suited to that role than any other. You confide in them, you tell them things that you would not tell the manager and they are that bridge between the boss and the players. When the transition to manager occurs, I can see how it is hard for people to adjust their relationships.

Newcastle manager John Carver reacts on the touchline Newcastle manager John Carver reacts on the touchline I thought Carver got it wrong on Mike Williamson and the accusation that he intentionally got himself sent off against Leicester. I don’t think any player does that, however badly it is going on the pitch. Either way, things like that have to stay private. Sir Alex would tear strips off us behind closed doors but he never repeated them outside the room. It meant he could say the harshest things to his players and the relationship survived.

In some ways, Carver, a Geordie to his boots, gave the typical Geordie response. Emotional, heartfelt, but I’m not sure it will do him or his team any good.

I know that when we played Newcastle, their fans yearned for the kind of success we had. They wanted to be the serial winners that we were at Manchester United, but for whatever reason it seemed out of their reach and that frustration was raw. It would either sweep the team on, or tie them up in knots. I enjoyed every game I played up there, and not just because of the goals. I don’t often say this about a team other than the one I played for, but I wish them all the best.

“That’s why they are backing me because they have seen me working with what I have got. 

The king is dead  :pards:  long live the king  :carverlick:

Just when you thought it could not get worse it feckin well does as i nearly crashed my car laughing at his best coach in premiership comment  :vtec:

Going into such a crucial match and he comes out and makes such an utterly ridiculous comment. You couldn't make it up.

Absolute cretin of a man and all the "I'm a Geordie", "worked with Sir Bobby", "bleed black and white", can't disguise his total and utter incompetence. You have to hope the players have had their own rallying meeting because this cock is doing his level best to take us down.

The media love to portray us fanatical emotional maniacs who can't think in objective terms. But they wanted a Geordie? He has passion? Passion is the least of any of the qualities I'd like to see and Carver has none of the others. We don't give a fuck he's a fan.

The media love to portray us fanatical emotional maniacs who can't think in objective terms. But they wanted a Geordie? He has passion? Passion is the least of any of the qualities I'd like to see and Carver has none of the others. We don't give a f*** he's a fan.

He doesn't even really have "passion" does he? He's just an aggressive bully IYAM. His one and only act of "passion" as assistant manager was probably when he went straight to McManaman after that tackle on Haidara at HT. Having a go at the enemy in adversity so to speak.

Otherwise, this "passion" he supposedly has, he's only displayed it by having a go at the club's own fans and players.

The wanting a passionate Geordie thing is so insulting, and I'm not even a Geordie. Not sure how you guys are able to stomach that stuff. I find it pretty disgusting.

Has he said this to take the "heat" off the players, a la Pearson and his sheep rant last week, so it will free the 'pressure' on the players so the can unleash barca style tomorrow afternoon?

Has he said this to try and convince himself?.... positive mental attitude and all that pish.  If I keep telling myself something often enough I'll end up believing it even though it's pure bollocks.

This man is a fucking amatuer.  How long has he been in the game?  Worked with, and you would have thought learned from, the great Sir Bobby and this is the shite he comes out with?!

He should be coming out bigging up our players (and I don't just mean the 'purple' ones) and making them feel 10 feet tall than trying to big up himself.

Basically he's saying he his pure football genius so following that logic, if he is the geordie pep and we've lost so many games it must be the players that are pure dogshit.  Wahey!  Great motivational words from the main man just before a crucial match.

This is embarrassing right now but come 5pm tomorrow he will fall on the sword of his own words... the man is an absolute self-important fool

Distance yourselves everyone as this is about to crash and burn ... after Saturday what will he be saying next week to the press... very worrying  :blackeye:

Has he said this to take the "heat" off the players, a la Pearson and his sheep rant last week, so it will free the 'pressure' on the players so the can unleash barca style tomorrow afternoon?

Has he said this to try and convince himself?.... positive mental attitude and all that pish.  If I keep telling myself something often enough I'll end up believing it even though it's pure bollocks.

This man is a f***ing amatuer.  How long has he been in the game?  Worked with, and you would have thought learned from, the great Sir Bobby and this is the s**** he comes out with?!

He should be coming out bigging up our players (and I don't just mean the 'purple' ones) and making them feel 10 feet tall than trying to big up himself.

Basically he's saying he his pure football genius so following that logic, if he is the geordie pep and we've lost so many games it must be the players that are pure dogshit.  Wahey!  Great motivational words from the main man just before a crucial match.

He's been leaving the players hung out to dry for weeks now, dodging blame as much as he can. The only motivation he's great at is making people in this forum want to punch his face.