Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

Although its not out of our reach we're probably not gonna finish 6th. Still we at least have something to push for to keep momentum going. I'm really quite pissed off at Arsenal for losing that game, that said a top half finish would still be a damn good achievement in our first season back given all that's happened, and if we finish above the Mackems even better.

Yeah Ipswich got in through the Fair Play League, didn't they? You can play in Europe even if you're in the Championship. Although, as long as you register yourself to do so? As that was Pompey's issue last season, was it not? I assume Brum aren't that stupid, though.

would it surprise you if they were?

The fact that the prospect of playing European football is still being seriously being discussed into the first week in March means we've surpassed expectations this season. We've picked up points in 17 of the 27 games we've played is astonishing. I fully expected to be in the bottom 6 all season and to either stay up or go down by a few points either way.

We've got the nucleus of a good first XI which has got the potential to push on and compete with the all but the very best teams in the league and have a real go at things. Had you offered me that situation in August then I'd have laughed in your face. We've had/are having a great season and should be looking to finish 10th minimum from here on in. 

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

The fact that the prospect of playing European football is still being seriously being discussed into the first week in March means we've surpassed expectations this season. We've picked up points in 17 of the 27 games we've played is astonishing. I fully expected to be in the bottom 6 all season and to either stay up or go down by a few points either way.

We've got the nucleus of a good first XI which has got the potential to push on and compete with the all but the very best teams in the league and have a real go at things. Had you offered me that situation in August then I'd have laughed in your face. We've had/are having a great season and should be looking to finish 10th minimum from here on in. 

indeed. I'm dissapointed with 7th place losing europe I was confident we could have got it the way we're playing, we might still get it but it'd only have the same value as 8th or 9th sadly.

Done the BBC predictor, my findings are as follows:

1. Man United

2. Arsenal

3. Tottenham

4. Chelsea

5. Man CIty

6. Liverpool

7. Everton

8. Newcastle

9. Bolton

10. Stoke

11. Sunderland

12. Aston Villa

13. Blackburn

14. Blackpool

15. Fulham

16. Birmingham

17. West Ham

18. Wolves

19. West Brom

20. Wigan

We were one point ahead of Sunderland and four behind Liverpool in 6th. ManUre win the title by 6 points and a single win keeps West Ham up.

Millwall got a go at Europe when they got to the FA Cup final didn't they?

I seem to remember Ipswich playing Inter too. 3-0/4-0 iirc, Vieri scored?

Ipswich won the first leg 1-0. Inter won their home leg 4-1, with Vieri getting a hattrick.

Aye they'll change it if Chelsea win the ECL and they finish 5th.

Tell you what mind when i think back it's a disgrace Liverpool were allowed in the Champions League when they finished 5th

I didn't think about it as that controversial at the time, partly cos I still 'backed the English clubs in Europe'. However, looking back it was a fucking disgrace.

No it wasn't.  The only disgrace was that they let Everton in, despite their already being a precedent set in 2000 when Real Madrid finished 5th and won the Champions League.  When that happened Zaragoza who finished 4th lost their Champions League place and were dumped into the UEFA Cup, with Real Madrid getting their Champions League spot.

Tell you what mind when i think back it's a disgrace Liverpool were allowed in the Champions League when they finished 5th

I didn't think about it as that controversial at the time, partly cos I still 'backed the English clubs in Europe'. However, looking back it was a fucking disgrace.

No it wasn't.  The only disgrace was that they let Everton in, despite their already being a precedent set in 2000 when Real Madrid finished 5th and won the Champions League.   When that happened Zaragoza who finished 4th lost their Champions League place and were dumped into the UEFA Cup, with Real Madrid getting their Champions League spot.

Oh.

I didn't think about it as that controversial at the time, partly cos I still 'backed the English clubs in Europe'. However, looking back it was a f***ing disgrace.

No it wasn't.  The only disgrace was that they let Everton in, despite their already being a precedent set in 2000 when Real Madrid finished 5th and won the Champions League.  When that happened Zaragoza who finished 4th lost their Champions League place and were dumped into the UEFA Cup, with Real Madrid getting their Champions League spot.

Oh.

Interesting.

I don't think any decision is a disgrace. Although it's interesting that they ditched Zaragoza but not Everton, not good in terms of precedence etc. You're not going to please everyone. I think it's fair that the winners of the CL retain a spot in next season's to rightfully defend it. But whoever finished above them in the league deserves their spot too. But you're taking a spot from somewhere, even if it is just a lowly Norwegian side or some shit, so whatever happens, it's harsh on someone, somewhere.

I think we will have a seriously good end to the season. We've played some seriously good matches without getting the deserved points, so our margins will go our way from now on. And of course, we've got players back from injury too..

Guest ToonUltra

Now then, im a ticket holder and booked my mate a ticket yesterday for todays game. As it was too late for them to send it via post he is going to collect it this morning. Just wondering where the tickets are distributed from now as it is a pre-paid ticket? the Gallowgate concourse 1st floor, new club shop box office or the south west corner? cheers for the help. 

Guest neesy111

Could technically still be 7th place, no? With birmingham still in the fa cup?

No as they'll take one of the 3 places.

Well, one point from six has put paid to this idea. :(

We'll coast in to somewhere between 8th and 13th from here IMO.

Need Barton back badly and Ben Arfa, if Ireland can produce an ounce of what he used to do we'll still have a chance.

Well, one point from six has put paid to this idea. :(

We'll coast in to somewhere between 8th and 13th from here IMO.

Need Barton back badly and Ben Arfa, if Ireland can produce an ounce of what he used to do we'll still have a chance.

Barton's injury is clearly worse than we thought, and Ireland's was a new one. Could be a while before they are back, hopefully not.

Doubt we'll see Ben Arfa at all this season now, particularly after these results.

Doubt we'll see Ben Arfa at all this season now, particularly after these results.

Clarification needed, what do the results have to do with Ben Arfa's recovery time?

Nothing, but if we don't need to risk him (ie not pushing for Europe, not struggling to avoid relegation) I don't think we will.