Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Has he ever played out wide like Barton did for us this season?  I wonder whether we consider him to be the kind of player that can cover anywhere in midfield or behind the striker, which is why we're interested.

Just can't see why - after all the quotes he gave in January about not being happy to be a squad player at Villa - he'd be happy to be a squad player here (as most are implying would make him a worthwhile signing). By all accounts if we sign him, we need to start him continually in his favoured position to get the best out of him. The likes of which he hasn't shown for years now.

And that's completely ignoring his injuries.

To be fair though Dave he'd have went to Villa thinking he'd be one of the main men and he'd just pick up his 07-09 form. I think he'd have picked up over the last year that it'll take time, so coming to a club who clearly want him might help that whereas Villa don't seem to fancy him.

Signing Ireland wouldn't make any sense at all.  People seem to be looking at him when he was at his best and forgetting how long ago it was and that it was only for a couple of seasons two clubs ago.

Signing Ireland wouldn't make any sense at all.  People seem to be looking at him when he was at his best and forgetting how long ago it was and that it was only for a couple of seasons two clubs ago.

Barton was crap and injured for 3 years. Worth taking a chance on Ireland at that fee and age imo.

Barton was crap and injured for 3 years. Worth taking a chance on Ireland at that fee and age imo.

Barton was crap and injured, we didn't buy him on that form though.

I'm all for signing Ireland. Due to injuries and the fact that he haven't been given a real chance in his favored position, he's sort of been forgotten, and what I don't understand, almost bullied as a result of his off field-personality. A player as good as Ireland, don't just stop being good forever at the age of 24. 24 ffs! And now, injury free, he's emerged available for £2-3 M. I don't see how this is a bad signing. Ireland is surely going to retain his excellent City form at some point, that's inevitable. Personally I think he could do wonders in our 11/12 team. And with the mentioned price, the risk is so low, and yet the the gain could be so huge.

Ireland won't be a big money signing like Barton was either. Point is, at £2m I can see why he'd be worth a gamble on getting back to his form especially at his age.

The £2 million gamble would cost something like £12 million over a 4 year contract.

Barton recaptured his form, and he's more of a 'nutcase' than Ireland. Was injured as well. I don't see why Ireland can't recapture his form. Personally would not pay more than 7 million though

Barton recaptured his form, and he's more of a 'nutcase' than Ireland. Was injured as well. I don't see why Ireland can't recapture his form. Personally would not pay more than 7 million though

Anything more than 50p and a packet of monster munch is too much for Ireland, out of form and constantly injured plus a trouble maker. Not worth the hassle imho.

Ireland won't be a big money signing like Barton was either. Point is, at £2m I can see why he'd be worth a gamble on getting back to his form especially at his age.

The £2 million gamble would cost something like £12 million over a 4 year contract.

It'd cost nearly £12m alone just to sign a player of Ireland's quality those 2-3 seasons at City. £3m a season, I'd take the risk tbh.

A senior United source said: “Nothing is imminent with Stephen, but it is not one to write off just yet.

“He might not have played but he was unlucky with injuries and his attitude and work-rate while he was here were absolutely first class.

“He was finished at Villa under Gerard Houllier but a new manager might change things for him.

“He would like to come back but it depends on Villa now.

“I think Stephen is one that we’ll keep an eye on with a view to maybe ‘nicking him’ at the end of the window.”

When we magically fail to get the likes of Matuidi and Sissoko. O0

That's a likely scenario when you aim high in the first place.