Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

by the end of his time here he was a wreck. when the crowd turn on you it can do that and it's often best to get away.

Agreed but the crowd getting on his back was self inflicted, people lost patience with him as his mistakes were usually absolute howlers.

From what I remember it got to the point where it was any mistake, even mistakes other players were making, and there was an audible groan. Strangely, it mainly seemed to be coming from the East Stand corner (though they often seemed to be cheering Steven Taylor's every patriotic step at the time... so yeah).

Bramble was nowhere near as bad as a lot on here are claiming, he made plenty of mistakes leading to goals but he didn't do it every week, he wouldn't have played over 100 Premier League games here if was making mistakes as often as lot of you are suggesting. :lol:

On his day he's a very good central defender.

Bramble had everything to become a great defender, everything except a brain.  Towards the end of his time the errors he made were a lot more regular than before and he was a liability.  I backed him for most of his time here but couldn't in the end because the cock up's were far too regular.

Ireland though, he's been a massive mistake since he arrived.  I hope that we don't compound that mistake by signing him beyond the end of this season on any terms.

The problem with 'everything but a brain' is that once you're looking at players who've reached a decent standard that's the most important attribute for a centre back.

Hopefully Ireland will be pumped up to prove the doubters wrong. As someone who was quite happy with the deal I find myself now not really giving a toss. Honestly thought he'd be busting a gut to relight his career. Turns out he's just been busting a gut eating pizzas in front of the telly. Disappointing.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

So he's got 5 games to earn a permanent move.....

3.8 more than Ben Arfa. Not impossible.

Just needs a wonder goal, and to look a little exciting and he'll be signing that 5 1/2 year deal before he can Sky+ Big Fat Gypsy Footballer's Wives.

If he plays well in the last 5-6 games are we really suggesting not signing him just because he's not been fit since he arrived? Will be our luck that if we do that he'll go to someone like Everton and return to his form of 3-4 years ago and we'll slate the club for not getting him.

He's gonna have to produce six extremely good performances as far as i care. Centre-midfield's not a crucial position but it would be a massive boost if he is still the same player. But anything other than that and he's not worth it.