SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

As many have probably said, this one will probably drag on till the deadline.

You're right and the risk is that we will lose out on him last minute and be left short of players. There's a reason clubs like Man Utd pay that bit extra and get them in early. Added bonus being that the player has a whole pre-season with the club, is better integrated in the dressing room, training etc, has more chance to work on his role in the team and also has less chance of injury. We've done the right thing getting players in early but we've also signed two bosmans, triggered a transfer clause and are targetting another transfer clause (Neil Taylor) to replace one of the best left backs in the league. I think people have a right to wonder why the club would drag its heels over bringing in a player such as N'Zogbia who is available at very good value and would command an important place in our first team.

I know that a club like ours has to be slightly more wily than Man Utd in the transfer market but just as the Carroll and Milner sales left us short on players, I'm wary of it happening again. Ashley likes a game of brinkmanship but if bigger clubs miss their targets they will take a look at N'Zogbia - it is not a simple case of just sitting back and making Wigan sweat. If we get him on deadline day for 2m less then fair enough but is it worth risking a weak squad til January, or signing an inferior player, just to do so? Successful clubs generally don't think this way.

So it's not to have depth at left back then?

Also you say successful clubs don't wait to the last minute, then point to the sale of Carroll at the last minute that left us short, funnily enough sold to one of the most successful clubs in British football history to replace a player that was sold to one of the most successful British clubs of the last decade.

Chelsea and Liverpool had no problem waiting so why judge it by what Man Utd have done?

And look at the form of Carroll and Torres since, without a pre-season with their new teams they have been poor. Both were widely seen as panic signings. They may come good next season but when you look at the money spent, they bloody well should. Both are an example of what happens when you do your shopping on deadline day.

As for Neil Taylor, I'd be happy as anyone if Enrique stays but at the moment it looks unlikely.

Carroll was injured and Torres was out of form before he went there, do you honestly think if they bought them earlier in the window their form would have been any different?

Look at the likes of Berbatov and Ashley Cole, both clubs were happy to wait until the window was nearly closed to push through the signings they want so the example that Man Utd get it done early isn't always the case.

Ideally all of the new players would be here already but it just doesn't work like that, that's the same for any club too and not just Newcastle and the thought of paying an extra £2 million to get someone through the door a few weeks earlier is daft IMO.

Btw if Enrique goes that doesn't mean Taylor will be the only left back brought into the club.

Well Carroll and Torres were signed in the January window not the summer window. When they have had a full pre-season with their clubs then yes I predict they will fare better.

Of course it's daft not to wait a few weeks, if the player is convinced to come to us. But is he? I can see him being in demand and it may be the club that pays more that gets him, that's business. At what price do we wait on these kinds of players, when the selling club is willing to do a deal at a decent price? There is logic in both arguments, either is a risk.

You would risk losing out on the player late on and chase a replacement, fair enough. I'd risk paying that bit more to make sure I have a top player and don't lose him to a rival. I guess it depends how much the player wants to come here, as to how the club can swing it in our favour.

The Carroll, Torres and Berbatov deals are fair examples but in all cases those clubs were reluctant to sell which dragged the deal on, not because the big clubs buying were holding out for a lower price. I don't think Wigan are reluctant to sell N'Zogbia, they've basically said he can go.

As for Neil Taylor, I'll be amazed if we sign two new left backs. Most likely whoever comes in will be Enrique's replacement and Ferguson would be used as cover or a converted right back. If Neil Taylor came in then I would expect him to be the Enrique replacement. But anyway that's for a different thread.

Last I heard from Wigan they wanted £3 million more from non champions league clubs so there's no way I'd pay that.

Realistically we will have a feel of what N'Zogbia wants to do through his agent and if we know we're his preferred choice then we can afford to hold out to get him on more favourable terms than paying more than we would if we were in the CL, I think the Ben Arfa deal is a good example of this.

That's how I read the situation. All the talk of Liverpool or Sunderland is coming from Wigan if you ask me to try and get us to pay more. I don't think he wants to be anywhere else unless it's a big club who'll pay him much more.

The same Man Utd that signed Berbatov last minute.

Was that because they spent the whole time haggling ? As with Liverpool and Chelsea in the earlier examples, they did not wait til late August to get a cheaper deal, as people here are arguing we should do with N'Zogbia. In all of those cases, the selling club were very reluctant to sell. In N'Zogbia's case, the selling club are happy to let go.

Perhaps some don't rate the player as highly which is fair enough, and wouldn't mind us targetting someone else. I'm just not convinced we can get a player as proven in the Premier League. Given our other signings have been players with fitness concerns or no Premier League experience, to bring in N'Zogbia after the season he's just had would be a big boost.

There were probably numerous points of contact during the whole summer over the player but obviously that's just supposition so can't be cast.. however likely.

Another example is Arsenal with Arshavin - that one went over the transfer deadline if I recall and had been going back and forth all summer. There's loads of cases of it, definitely not just a 'small club' thing. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it'd be fantastic to have all the players here now and ready but the truth is that it just doesn't happen that way - regardless of the clubs' stature.

Guest palnese

Can't see us spending more than £8 million on any individual this summer - on that basis, we won't sign N'Zogbia.

The Gameiro bid was fake?

Can't see us spending more than £8 million on any individual this summer - on that basis, we won't sign N'Zogbia.

But we've brought Ba and Marveaux in, since that. Which will surely add at least £70,000 a week (or £3.5 million a year) to the wage bill..?

But we've brought Ba and Marveaux in, since that. Which will surely add at least £70,000 a week (or £3.5 million a year) to the wage bill..?

30 to spare from Carroll, Nolan and Campbell leaving then.

Probably get him and wick am, show us how it's really done, at least there's always Gibson.  :lol:

either way, Bruce wont know how to play them properly..spends loads of cash, get some big players in but still end up being s***

30 to spare from Carroll, Nolan and Campbell leaving then.

But the Carroll money is contributing to signing-on fees, wages and ...

I'll stop!

cwarr07 Colin

Wickham not a target for #nufc Unproven for what will be a massive outlay. Biggest fee #nufc will pay out this summer will be for N'Zogbia

:frantic:

Guest Chubby Jason

I look at Steve Bruce and feel immense pride that AP is our manager.

They're both as average as one another. Pardew may be more dignified but that's not difficult.

Same here. :lol:

Even on appearance alone, taking all actual ability and putting it to one side: Pardew is a decent-looking, well groomed silver fox who wears a full suit on matchdays. Bruce looks like a 60-year old lesbian who's had a frying pan to the nose wearing a shell suit two sizes too small.

I reckon Brucey's got the biggest kite in the public eye, like. It's growing at a rate even exceeding Ian Beale's.

Even on appearance alone, taking all actual ability and putting it to one side: Pardew is a decent-looking, well groomed silver fox who wears a full suit on matchdays. Bruce looks like a 60-year old lesbian who's had a frying pan to the nose wearing a shell suit two sizes too small.

I reckon Brucey's got the biggest kite in the public eye, like. It's growing at a rate even exceeding Ian Beale's.

:mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

:mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

:lol: it's funny cos it's true.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/home-alone5.jpg

gosh this woman scared the heck out of me when I was a kid..no wonder the movie was rated PG

Owh wait..thats Stevie Bruce!!! the 60 year old lesbian..!!!