SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

Why didn't Villa sign Marveaux as well as Zog as well then? Not to mention they should have been in for Cabaye and Ba seeing as they were all available cheap.

Give over man.  :lol:

One big opportunity for us to sign a proven, in-form Premier League player at an affordable price, a good age, someone with qualities we need such as pace, skill and creativity. And it would seem we have gone for the cheaper option with Marveaux on a bosman, a player with major question marks over his injury record.

Now I don't know anything about Marveaux other than Liverpool had a look and that, much like the Gosling signing, he's on the back of a serious injury and hasn't played in donkeys. But I'm pretty disappointed we've gone down this route seeing as we should have money to spend. Given how the Gosling signing went and the problems we've had with injury lists over the years, not to mention all our signings have come abroad, you'd have thought the N'Zogbia deal would be a much more attractive option and well worth the cost. According to Pardew, these bosman deals have set us back financially anyway, which makes even less sense why we didn't just go in for N'Zogbia.

All we can do now is hope Marveaux is the business.

No matter if we signed Marveaux or not we should have gone for Zoggy as well.

This and this.

Why didn't Villa sign Marveaux as well as Zog as well then? Not to mention they should have been in for Cabaye and Ba seeing as they were all available cheap.

Are you being serious? I think i might watch my Chuck Norris collection again instead.

If you look retrospectively, yep.

But back to the time before Marveaux's signed, would you take a gamble to wait for N'Zogbia, or just go for the safer option? It's not just about money, but the risk involved by giving up Marveaux.

Why did we have to wait for N'Zogbia?

Obviously Wigan were still waiting for offers from various clubs because they thought the demand was high, back in June.

The situation changes drastically since then, because we've gone for Marveaux and Liverpool signed Downing.  Sunderland cannot afford the fees and therefore only Villa left.

It did worth pointing out that Marveaux could be the first priority for Liverpool instead of Downing.

But back to the time before Marveaux's signed, would you take a gamble to wait for N'Zogbia, or just go for the safer option? It's not just about money, but the risk involved by giving up Marveaux.

There's nothing retrospective about it. If you go back earlier in the thread, myself and others were making the case for signing him back then. There was no need to wait for N'Zogbia, he's been available all summer. As many pointed out earlier in the thread, if you wait he will sign for a rival and that's what's happening now.

Obviously Wigan were still waiting for offers from various clubs because they thought the demand was high, back in June.

The situation changes drastically since then, because we've gone for Marveaux and Liverpool signed Downing.  Sunderland cannot afford the fees and therefore only Villa left.

It did worth pointing out that Marveaux could be the first priority for Liverpool instead of Downing.

We didn't have to wait, we already knew that N'Zogbia was going to be sold.  I don't see what Liverpool going for Marveaux ahead of Downing has to do with anything as we don't know how they came about prioritising targets.

There's nothing retrospective about it. If you go back earlier in the thread, myself and others were making the case for signing him back then. There was no need to wait for N'Zogbia, he's been available all summer. As many pointed out earlier in the thread, if you wait he will sign for a rival and that's what's happening now.

Wigan only issue the 10m quoted price after the Marveaux and Downing deal. I don't think they were asking for the same price before. They were inviting a bidding war which didn't materialized, and end up selling on a cheap to Villa.

Well that's just my thought. I have no evidence to support.

Are you just going to ignore the players who have come in? People are arguing why we didn't sign Zog and I don't see if we can make all these signings what was stopping Villa? Haven't they sold a shit load of players for big money?

N'Zogbia would have been a much better signing than Marveaux in my opinion.

Well in a way that remains to be seen, Marveaux might have a really good season.

I know what you're saying though, but the problem is that Marveaux was cheap and Zoggy costs money. Thus if you're worried about expenditure he's a less attractive option.

FWIW I would rather have had Zog because he is proven.

We didn't have to wait, we already knew that N'Zogbia was going to be sold.  I don't see what Liverpool going for Marveaux ahead of Downing has to do with anything as we don't know how they came about prioritising targets.

We knew N'Zogbia was going to be sold, but the negotiation could drag on and on for a long time if there's a bidding war. Actually that could have been happened already (there were rumours that Wigan received several bids even though they denied). In the end Newcastle went for Marveaux, Liverpool then went for Downing, and Villa becomes the last bidder.

The key point is, Villa only made the bid after the Downing deal. That means before Villa's bid, all the other clubs didn't make a bid or failed to agree a price with Wigan. Is this just a coincidence that no club made a bid before Villa for N'Zogbia, a deal that now everyone thinks a good deal?

My guess is Wigan was asking for too much before and forced to lower the price because Villa is the only one left in the market. In other words, Spurs, Arsenal and other top clubs are not interested in N'Zogbia.

Well in a way that remains to be seen, Marveaux might have a really good season.

I know what you're saying though, but the problem is that Marveaux was cheap and Zoggy costs money. Thus if you're worried about expenditure he's a less attractive option.

Are you just going to ignore the players who have come in? People are arguing why we didn't sign Zog and I don't see if we can make all these signings what was stopping Villa? Haven't they sold a s*** load of players for big money?

Maybe Villa didn't think the players we've signed are as good as the players they want to sign.  Personally, I would rather sign N'Zogbia who is a proven player in this league, over Marveaux who may or may not be eble to handle the Premiership.

Are you just going to ignore the players who have come in? People are arguing why we didn't sign Zog and I don't see if we can make all these signings what was stopping Villa? Haven't they sold a shit load of players for big money?

If you looked at our forums and what people were saying recently, and still are in some cases, "look at Newcastle, they've got players in, we're doing nothing but get rid of them" was one of the most frequently heard things.

Transfer window open = paranoia, delusion, misunderstanding and anger.

Same here.  I would prefer N'Zogbia over Marveaux if I can conclude both deals at the same time.

If you looked at our forums and what people were saying recently, and still are in some cases, "look at Newcastle, they've got players in, we're doing nothing but get rid of them" was one of the most frequently heard things.

Transfer window open = paranoia, delusion, misunderstanding and anger.

Yeah, I can report that most fans of other clubs think we have made some great signings. And they also think that West Ham were mental to give that deal to Nolan.

We knew N'Zogbia was going to be sold, but the negotiation could drag on and on for a long time if there's a bidding war. Actually that could have been happened already (there were rumours that Wigan received several bids even though they denied). In the end Newcastle went for Marveaux, Liverpool then went for Downing, and Villa becomes the last bidder.

The key point is, Villa only made the bid after the Downing deal. That means before Villa's bid, all the other clubs didn't make a bid or failed to agree a price with Wigan. Is this just a coincidence that no club made a bid before Villa for N'Zogbia, a deal that now everyone thinks a good deal?

My guess is Wigan was asking for too much before and forced to lower the price because Villa is the only one left in the market. In other words, Spurs, Arsenal and other top clubs are not interested in N'Zogbia.

You said we couldn't wait for N'Zogbia yet it looks like he's going after a chain of events which we wouldn't have needed before bidding.

They are relatively similar players. On the left Marveaux plays as a traditional winger, will still come in field. On the right expect to see him cutting inside and shooting/laying balls off for Ben Arfa/Ba. Marveaux looks better than Zoggy centrally, but isn't that Ben Arfa's position?

My concern for Marveaux remains the same, injuries. Especially when you consider he has signed a five-year deal. They are both 25 years old, N'Zogbia has made 158 career league starts, Marveaux has made 62...

He is a big gamble, but probably one worth taking (on a shorter contract).

You said we couldn't wait for N'Zogbia yet it looks like he's going after a chain of events which we wouldn't have needed before bidding.

No, we have to wait and there is risk involved.  Who can guarantee N'Zogbia will sign for us if Wigan accept several bids? The worst scenario is we missed out both Marveaux and N'Zogbia. Thus at that time you have to decide either wrap up the Marveaux deal or face a bidding war for N'Zogbia.

I can understand why the club choose Marveaux. What the club could do, at that time, was to submit an offer of 10m to Wigan, saying this is the last offer and if you did not respond before midnight then that's it because we would sign a replacement tomorrow. This might be done already, I don't know, but it didn't materialize.

It's debatable whether we should sign both players, but if it's mutually exclusive, then I couldn't blame the club for choosing Marveaux. I could only blame Wigan for being too greedy.

We're all disappointed we didn't sign him, but in a way I feel that a lot of people are overrating him.

That's understandable given that he put two past us and then went on a ridiculous run of form towards the tail-end of the season when everyone was watching.

Regardless, he was hardly setting the league alight all season and was really just the best player on a poor Wigan team. I've no doubt he'd improve us, but not signing him is not the end of the world.

No, we have to wait and there is risk involved.  Who can guarantee N'Zogbia will sign for us if Wigan accept several bids? The worst scenario is we missed out both Marveaux and N'Zogbia. Thus at that time you have to decide either wrap up the Marveaux deal or face a bidding war for N'Zogbia.

I can understand why the club choose Marveaux. What the club could do, at that time, was to submit an offer of 10m to Wigan, saying this is the last offer and if you did not respond before midnight then that's it because we would sign a replacement tomorrow. This might be done already, I don't know, but it didn't materialize.

It's debatable whether we should sign both players, but if it's mutually exclusive, then I couldn't blame the club for choosing Marveaux. I could only blame Wigan for being too greedy.

Greedy? You can't blame them for wanting to get the best price possible for the player who almost single-handedly kept them up last season.  :lol:

I still don't see why we had to wait to bid for N'Zogbia but we might as well leave it at that because we've both got differing opinions and I guess we don't understand each others.

Guest Heneage

Marveaux may go onto have a great season and improve the team greatly.

With N'Zogbia, there's no question that he would.

Are you suggesting we 'go compare' the two? :troll: