Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

Defoe wouldn't be the greatest signing, but... I mean... Best, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Ranger, Kuqi.... that's our strike force.

I'd be happy if we signed Steve Bull right now. It'd be a massive improvement.

They're both black Englishmen who score goals, I don't see how they could possibly be that different.

:nile:

Just in case it isn't clear enough, I'm being sarcastic guys

:mackems:

At the edit.

Given recent trends, I felt that some people might need it.

I am going to kill the next person who suggests Doyle. Seriously, you aren't even worthy of watching the game if you seriously think he is a good option to play at Newcastle.

Going with realistic suggestions, seeing as I am skeptical about how the money will be spent and the type of player we can attract, I think Doyle is a good shout.  Other threads have us talking about Lukaku, Gameiro and whoever else is good on Football Manager.

Feel free to kill me now.

I am going to kill the next person who suggests Doyle. Seriously, you aren't even worthy of watching the game if you seriously think he is a good option to play at Newcastle.

100% agree. Not saying he's a bad player or anything. He's better than our current lot yes (not difficult), but I wouldn't say he's a big step up.

Not saying I want us to buy him, but Kevin Doyle would be our best striker by some distance if we did sign him.

I can see us signing someone like him or Carlton bloody Cole.  I'm prepared for this and they're realistic targets for our club and supposed wage budget.  Hardly my first choice, but Doyle would be an improvement and can play up top on his own.  I think he's a half decent player myself.  I honestly think those expecting some marquee signing to replace Carroll are in for a big shock.

Hope I'm wrong mind.

don't really see the point in signing someone like Doyle. he's at the same sort of level as Best and Ameobi, maybe with a slightly better first touch and passing, but with less physical ability or, recently, scoring threat. what we need to be doing is bringing in significantly better players so that leon and shola are our 3rd and 4th choice strikers instead of guaranteed starters.

Doyle has zero passing ability, an inability to make smart runs or link up with players and poor finishing. Just a guy with decent physical attributes and a good work rate. Not what we need. We need a striker that can create chances as well as finish.

Guest Slarth

Aren't Feyenoord in a really poor financial position? Can we not raid them for some of their better players?

I think all the Dutch clubs are and we've got scouts around there :)