Newcastle United 4 - 4 Arsenal - 05/02/11 - post match reaction from page 32

Nate

I honestly don't think our game with City is remotely compareable to the Arsenal one. Personal bias? Maybe. But as far as i'm concerned - there was one contentious decision, and that was the second penalty - where there was definite contact.

The Man City game was an absolute horror-show of a refereeing performance, which resulted in us being robbed of the game.

Past few pages on this thread read exactly like the post-match comments on Man City's forum after our game with them which resulted in a star player's leg snapped in two by a thug without even so much as a free kick being awarded, and two bad penalty decisions going against us. Similar rose-tinted analysis of decisions, similar "rofl at the whiners" comments, similar "it was a fair challenge, the lad is soooo misunderstood by the evilz mediyah" etc etc.

There's nothing wrong with saying that we were on the welcoming end of most of the bad decisions in this game, which we clearly were imo. On top of two poor penalty calls, we won a number of free kicks where our players just went to ground very easily. It was that sort of game where one side knows that the ref will blow if they fall over, so will take advantage of it. It did look like a few of our players had received half-time training from Van der Vaart on how to go down at the slightest contact. The referee, as with most referees in the Premiership these days, just bottled things in front of the home supporters - maybe he felt sorry for us at 4-0, who knows.

Nolan's headlock + throw should have been a red card in light of Diaby's red (which was a very fair straight red car imo). I just don't see how it isn't as it's pretty thuggish behaivour to grab someone round the neck and throw them to the ground. On that note, what an utterly daft thing to do from our captain, given that many refs are all too happy to "even things out". The only saving grace is that for some reason, referees seem to be a bit leniant when a player who is trying to get the ball quickly gets angry at the keeper for holding onto it, allowing them to get away with a moment's rage.

But yeah, ultimately we benefited greatly from some poor/weak refereeing. IMO of course.

:thup:

Spent an hour reading an Arse forum last night, could have been this one after practically any loss. Some of the comments were word for word what you would expect to read on here, only seen from a different perspective obviously.

Szeczny was timewasting and Nolan got a bit ahead of himself and got him in the 'headlock' (if you can even call it that). Diaby's had malice in it. Clear difference.

The way i seen it...Nolan and Barton wanted the ball.  Nolan went to grab it and the keeper pulled it away, so Nolan with his other arm tries a reach around and the keeper leans forward trying to hide the ball with Nolans arm round his neck.  Looks like a headlock but i dont think it was intetional.

Who fucking cares anyway.

i've seen Arsenal come to SJP many tmes and get away with murder.

And the Arse fans also forget the time in the late 90s and early 00s when Petit, Veria, Dixon, Adams and Keown etc used to kick people daft.

Diaby's red was two yellows. One for the headlock and one for the push on Nolan. Nolan got Szeczny (sp?) in a headlock and got booked. Szeczny also got booked for time-wasting, btw.

Diaby got a straight red for violent conduct and will be banned for 3 games.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Ilove this team im still confidemt we cam easly finish in the top ten especially given that magnificent 2nd half performance

The Nolan incident isn't nearly that much. I have seen several players half-wrestling with the keeper for the ball after a goal that got scot free. The ball isn't actually in play, so unless there's real nastiness (which there wasn't) it should be a yellow *tops*

Ilove this team im still confidemt we cam easly finish in the top ten especially given that magnificent 2nd half performance

Nice to see you back Roy mate, we're not all suicidal pessimists on here you know, in fact most of us who go to the match are just long suffering drunken optimists.

Szeczny was timewasting and Nolan got a bit ahead of himself and got him in the 'headlock' (if you can even call it that). Diaby's had malice in it. Clear difference.

The way i seen it...Nolan and Barton wanted the ball.  Nolan went to grab it and the keeper pulled it away, so Nolan with his other arm tries a reach around and the keeper leans forward trying to hide the ball with Nolans arm round his neck.  Looks like a headlock but i dont think it was intetional.

Who f***ing cares anyway.

And the Arse fans also forget the time in the late 90s and early 00s when Petit, Veria, Dixon, Adams and Keown etc used to kick people daft.

No way mate. Figment of your imagination. Nor do they ever commit a foul or cheat nowadays.

Ask Arsene, he'll tell you.

No way mate. Figment of your imagination. Nor do they ever commit a foul or cheat nowadays.

He didn't see it...

The Nolan incident isn't nearly that much. I have seen several players half-wrestling with the keeper for the ball after a goal that got scot free. The ball isn't actually in play, so unless there's real nastiness (which there wasn't) it should be a yellow *tops*

Think you're right, the fact the linesman was right there and didn't react at all, and that no player even appealed, says to me that they understood it was just a result of the keeper being a bit cheeky and holding onto the ball and Nolan getting slightly carried away trying to get on with the game.

Wish more incidents could be treated so sensibly TBH.

Think you're right, the fact the linesman was right there and didn't react at all, and that no player even appealed,

That twat Wilshire did he was nearly crying to the linesman, sure cesc ran off to the ref aswell.

Yeah i dreamt the time when Ruud Van Nistlerooy missed a pen, was then surrounded by the whole arsenal team and then shoved  about like a bitch.

Think you're right, the fact the linesman was right there and didn't react at all, and that no player even appealed,

That twat Wilshire did he was nearly crying to the linesman, sure cesc ran off to the ref aswell.

Ah, didn't see that. Ah well, it's lost to history now, the 4-4 will live forever!

Szeczny shit himself the second time though. Barton and Nolan ran at him and he couldn't get rid of it quick enough.

:laugh:

Szeczny shit himself the second time though. Barton and Nolan ran at him and he couldn't get rid of it quick enough.

:laugh:

:lol: that was brilliant, Nolan and Barton just plodded towards him like a couple of cronies and he cacked himself!

Diaby's red was two yellows. One for the headlock and one for the push on Nolan. Nolan got Szeczny (sp?) in a headlock and got booked. Szeczny also got booked for time-wasting, btw.

Diaby got a straight red for violent conduct and will be banned for 3 games.

I think he meant each incident was worthy of a booking, hence the red card.

Was saying just that to my Arsenal friend yesterday, but according to him it doesn't make any difference. He also claimed that Barton's tackle should see him banned for the rest of the season, and this was mostly backed up with "Diaby has had so many serious injuries, that coming in like that is a threat to his career" :laugh:

Was saying just that to my Arsenal friend yesterday, but according to him it doesn't make any difference. He also claimed that Barton's tackle should see him banned for the rest of the season, and this was mostly backed up with "Diaby has had so many serious injuries, that coming in like that is a threat to his career" :laugh:

That's a shit excuse, but still, hasn't Diaby injuried a bunch of players, including his own teammates? :lol:

Former Arsenal striker Dennis Bergkamp has revealed the influence that the English mentality had on his football career revealing that the spirit in the Arsenal dressing room came from the “English warrior tradition.”

The modern day Gunners showed a distinct lack of backbone on Saturday when they let a four goal lead slip against Newcastle United at St. James’s Park sparking more debate over Arsenal’s leadership qualities and defensive instability.

Bergkamp, who won three Premier League trophies and four FA Cup winners medals during his career at Highbury feels the success was down in part to the old English culture at the club.

“We were successful because of our English defenders.” Bergkamp told FourFourTwo magazine. 

“They put the spirit in the team, which the Europeans lacked. They would say “Get stuck in” and all sorts of other phrases. I love it, especially “How much do you want it?” I thought about it. It stuck with me.

“Do you really want it more than the opponent? How much are you prepared to give? How much time do you want to put in to become better? It’s English warrior tradition; a moral code. We go out together and we’re going to give a 100 per cent.”