Leon Best

Godot

I still see him as a bits pieces striker. I am surprised we haven't seen him really smack one in yet, as I remember him whacking a few gooduns for Yeovil iirc.

Didn't he hit the bar with "the goal that never was" during the championship? He also scored a screamer for Cov in his last few games for them IIRC

Was it Plymouth?

I thought when we signed him he hadn't scored for a while? Might be wrong.

I mean when he hit the bar for us, would have been a cracker think it was plymouth when we won the league

I'd argue his performances of late make James Perch the only poor Hughton signing.

Oh aye. The signing enabled Carroll to become the striker he is, and he's been invaluable since the turn of 2011. Can't believe it's worked out cos the Leon Best i saw for us 12 months ago was f***ing woeful.

A Coloccini esq turnaround. Saying that though I do remember possibly myself and definitely Stu saying the Plymouth game showed real potential.

Don't mean to bring it up, but seeing as it's been mentioned, yeah I think he's been a decent little cheap as chips investment, providing options for our other players last season (inc. off the pitch) which kept up our momentum, while still not being fully developed himself. I remember him showing a fair bit shy of a goal too, he wasn't abject. A good move by Hughton worth pointing out more than normal, seeing as the £1m spent on him is supposedly one of his biggest crimes according to Ashley and Llambias. Just a shame that injury kept him out of the squad for months at the start of this season and stopped him being able to change that perception.

Pleased for him.

Has paid us back value for money wise imo.

Absolutely. I still don't really rate him, but he's risen to the challenge pretty well and is playing out of his skin at the moment. He's been a great little poacher for us in the last few games.

Honestly don't think he is, yet. Take the situation in the second half at 2-0 up, ball gets played into him just inside the area, he looks at the goal, gets half a yard on his man but then hesitates before knocking the ball down the channel and eventually back to Jonas.

A fully-firing, top form Leon Best smacks that ball as soon as he gets a sniff at goal, he's definitely proven that he has the technique, think he's the type of player who will only get better with a constant, injury-free run in the team.

Whether that is ultimately good enough to be a number 9 for NUFC is up for debate.

Yep, as has been said, he definitely has psychological restraints on his play. He's prone to failures of conviction, snatching at things etc. But if, a big if but if nonetheless, he can be trained to overcome those he'll move up a level (or two) as a striker. True as it might be, consistently only being able to reach that kind of confidence after a long run in the side isn't good enough for a Premiership man, but hopefully he can be improved and eliminate that need.

A hat-trick against a team in claret & blue, a goal against Arsenal, and the winner away to one of the other Carling Cup Semi-Finalists.

Andy who?

So basically, Carroll is either an expensive Leon Best, or an expensive Michael Ricketts :undecided:

Best's two worst games were probably against Fulham and Blackburn, both of whom have got gigantic monster centre backs in Hangeland and Samba. IIRC Carroll also struggled in those games earlier this season. Looks like he has enough about his game to make a serviceable target man against the rest.

I just hope he doesn't do too well and the powers that be decide we don't need a new striker after all.

:lol:

fucking hell yeah, he's hitting some form and is 5 goals away from double figures in the league :facepalm:

mike will think he's got another cash cow on his hands and get Pards to play him week in week out

He's a fucking awful footballer, but for some reason he seems to score goals. Still think he's very average at best, but he is getting goals for us and thats what matters in the end.:thup:

Creds to him! But we still need two new strikers in the summer.

Played well and it was a great finish.  Looking onto next season, he's the perfect type of striker we need for squad depth as I think we should be looking for two strikers to go straight into the first-team, then ship Xisco out and Ranger on loan.

Though he's not the greatest footballer, his mental attitude seems to be spot on. He doesn't get deterred. He hangs in there. He's determined to take his chance and make the most of what he's got. Got to give him a thumbs-up for that, and it suits the atmosphere of the current squad.