Leon Best

Godot

Though he's not the greatest footballer, his mental attitude seems to be spot on.

I think you mixed those two traits. It's the other way around, as I've pointed out before. He's a good footballer: He's fast, good in the air, finishes with both feet and got a decent technique. His problem is his mental attitude. He's not focused enough, and he got a body language that is very negative if he doesn't get the right balls or doesn't do well himself. In other words, he lacks concentration and probably is plagued with a negative mindset, which is the main reason for why he hasn't delivered after the hype he got as a teenager.  Pards has also picked up on this, and told in the post match interview yesterday that the lad is working on his concentration, which is very good news!

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16497_6755047,00.html

Guest icemanblue

Won everything in the air last night and had Tony Gale creaming his pants about him on the stream i was watching.

:lol: Aye, loved Big Leon's 'spring' and 'hang time', like.

I'd argue his performances of late make James Perch the only poor Hughton signing.

Oh aye. The signing enabled Carroll to become the striker he is, and he's been invaluable since the turn of 2011. Can't believe it's worked out cos the Leon Best i saw for us 12 months ago was f***ing woeful.

A Coloccini esq turnaround. Saying that though I do remember possibly myself and definitely Stu saying the Plymouth game showed real potential.

Don't mean to bring it up, but seeing as it's been mentioned, yeah I think he's been a decent little cheap as chips investment, providing options for our other players last season (inc. off the pitch) which kept up our momentum, while still not being fully developed himself. I remember him showing a fair bit shy of a goal too, he wasn't abject. A good move by Hughton worth pointing out more than normal, seeing as the £1m spent on him is supposedly one of his biggest crimes according to Ashley and Llambias. Just a shame that injury kept him out of the squad for months at the start of this season and stopped him being able to change that perception.

Pleased for him.

You what? Where's that come from?

I'd argue his performances of late make James Perch the only poor Hughton signing.

Oh aye. The signing enabled Carroll to become the striker he is, and he's been invaluable since the turn of 2011. Can't believe it's worked out cos the Leon Best i saw for us 12 months ago was f***ing woeful.

A Coloccini esq turnaround. Saying that though I do remember possibly myself and definitely Stu saying the Plymouth game showed real potential.

Don't mean to bring it up, but seeing as it's been mentioned, yeah I think he's been a decent little cheap as chips investment, providing options for our other players last season (inc. off the pitch) which kept up our momentum, while still not being fully developed himself. I remember him showing a fair bit shy of a goal too, he wasn't abject. A good move by Hughton worth pointing out more than normal, seeing as the £1m spent on him is supposedly one of his biggest crimes according to Ashley and Llambias. Just a shame that injury kept him out of the squad for months at the start of this season and stopped him being able to change that perception.

Pleased for him.

one of the reasons they turned on CH allegedly.

Pleased for him.

Multiple newspaper articles and 'football sources'. Think Caulkin tweeted about it for good measure. Take them how you like them.

Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias have loudly proclaimed to anyone prepared to listen that they were less than impressed with some of Hughton’s purchases – in particular Leon Best and James Perch. Neither have exactly set the world alight, but Hughton’s budget since taking over has been limited to less than £6m.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/215950/Chris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chanceChris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chanceChris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chanceChris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chanceChris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chance

Other mentions that sound like paraphrases are to be found elsewhere, regarding their astonishment at how a sum as large as £1m could 'just go up in smoke', too. I find that somewhat ironic given Ashley's reported gambling habits, but there you go.

The only good ones and only the good ones were bought by anyone but Hughton, you see.

Guest Tall Striker

Took him 7 games to get more than Shola managed from August to January. Hopefully the final nail in the coffin.

Shola is immortal man, nothing will convince any Newcastle manager that he isn't essential to the squad.

I think they just keep him round for the LOLz now.

Pleased for him.

Multiple newspaper articles and 'football sources'. Think Caulkin tweeted about it for good measure. Take them how you like them.

Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias have loudly proclaimed to anyone prepared to listen that they were less than impressed with some of Hughton’s purchases – in particular Leon Best and James Perch. Neither have exactly set the world alight, but Hughton’s budget since taking over has been limited to less than £6m.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/215950/Chris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chanceChris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chanceChris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chanceChris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chanceChris-Hughton-You-never-stood-a-chance

The only good ones were bought by anyone but Hughton, you see.

If that was the case (Perch, Routledge, Best ect were Hughton suggestions while the others weren't), he'd have done himself a favour saying it in public. I'm loathed to believe a reporters heresay without quotes, but fair enough, sounds plausible. :thup:

If that really was one of the reasons (and like you, I'm fairly suspect) for bringing in Pardew (as well as experience etc), I'll be looking forward to seeing if the signings he brings in are any better, especially the budget/squad fillers. Not got a great deal of hope that he is a wiz in the market after the winter window passed us by.

Guest EastEndGeordie

Look Shola puts in the effort doesn't he, we could have got rid of him two years ago to Stoke but we didn't and thus he'll now be with us forever. Mind you below average footballers usually make great managers so in like ten years he'll be our manager and leading us to Champions League glory.

Best has scored the same amount of goals as Rooney has in like ten less matches and Best only cost a mil whilst Rooney cost 25.6 Mil and is a year younger than Rooney. Looks like NUFC have made the best decision of all time for a bargain price as Best is statistically (for this season) better than Rooney :lol:

“I am just enjoying playing, I love the game and I wake up every day and cannot wait to get to training.

“It was a dream move coming to Newcastle. I have always wanted to play in the Premier League, now I just want to keep scoring.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//2011/02/16/best-nufc-stars-must-work-before-euro-talk-72703-28179924/2/#ixzz1E8LEGuCo

Mediocre or not it feels great to have guys like Best, Barton, Simpson and the rest who are proud to wear the Newcastle shirt.

“I am just enjoying playing, I love the game and I wake up every day and cannot wait to get to training.

“It was a dream move coming to Newcastle. I have always wanted to play in the Premier League, now I just want to keep scoring.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//2011/02/16/best-nufc-stars-must-work-before-euro-talk-72703-28179924/2/#ixzz1E8LEGuCo

Mediocre or not it feels great to have guys like Best, Barton, Simpson and the rest who are proud to wear the Newcastle shirt.

The importance of their desire and professionalism shouldn't be underestimate, I think we were all getting sick of the overpaid wasters who were bleeding the club dry.

More of the same, with a bit better ability, would be excellent.

Pleased for him.

The only good ones were bought by anyone but Hughton, you see.

If that was the case (Perch, Routledge, Best ect were Hughton suggestions while the others weren't), he'd have done himself a favour saying it in public. I'm loathed to believe a reporters heresay without quotes, but fair enough, sounds plausible. :thup:

If that really was one of the reasons (and like you, I'm fairly suspect) for bringing in Pardew (as well as experience etc), I'll be looking forward to seeing if the signings he brings in are any better, especially the budget/squad fillers. Not got a great deal of hope that he is a wiz in the market after the winter window passed us by.

Aye, indeed, although they have 'made it known' as much as they tend to nowadays, hence the articles in papers suddenly starting up about Graham Carr being a genius. It doesn't have much credibility with me though, given they tried the same trick following Keegan's departure and were shown up (claimed, for example, that Wise had discovered and signed Bassong when Bassong soon afterwards came out himself and said Keegan had done all that).

Yeah, not got a great deal of hope about Parew in the transfer market, going on his history. It's possibly the biggest single thing I have against swapping him for Hughton as we'd made such consistently great moves under him (the little things like Van Aanholt, or signing Tiote when most were wanting strikers and right-backs). Purely hypothetically, even if Pardew were a slightly better tactician, I know who I'd back to bring in personnel that had the team playing a large magnitude better after a transfer window.

Now that said, I've always been prepared to believe club structures (Carr... even Wise seeing as he was (is?) still quietly on the books) played a big, even dominating role in dictating what transfers were made under Hughton (though the chances of that being true dimmed for me after I heard the stories of Tiote and Ben Arfa's acquisitions). So I've retained some faith in the idea our transfer quality will hold up. But time will tell. In this instance, it might be that the more of a puppet Pardew is the better.

Took him 7 games to get more than Shola managed from August to January. Hopefully the final nail in the coffin.

Shola is immortal man, nothing will convince any Newcastle manager that he isn't essential to the squad.

I think the key point is that no striker of Shola's ability is willing to sit around on our bench for extended periods of time helping the new strikers that come to our club to adapt and replace him in a continuous cycle. Most would probably go for regular football at championship level. Thus Shola is our essential backup man forever.

I think the key point is that no striker of Shola's ability is willing to sit around on our bench for extended periods of time helping the new strikers that come to our club to adapt and replace him in a continuous cycle. Most would probably go for regular football at championship level. Thus Shola is our essential backup man forever.

Possibly, yeah. I don't even dislike Shola, he's always put in the maximum he can with his limited ability.

If he gets a testimonial match I'll definitely go to it and praise the lad to the rooftops. He's just sadly not a top premier league striker.

Possibly, yeah. I don't even dislike Shola, he's always put in the maximum he can with his limited ability.

If he gets a testimonial match I'll definitely go to it and praise the lad to the rooftops. He's just sadly not a top premier league striker.

And for that reason you can't dislike him. To be honest whenever transfer rumours about shola come around I always think, crap who's gonna be our backup striker (with our horrendous injury record)?