Leon Best

Godot

He is offside a lot but that's because he is trying to play off the last man.

The ruled out was well taken too, it was a foul though.

I have very strong doubts he won't make it here but there is a glimmer of hope. He certainly wouldn't be bad as a back up striker next season.

He's also playing up front on his own, so he has to do everything as a striker, I'm sure if we got a real footballer to play along side him he would become even better.

There's more than a gilmmer of hope, man. There's an abundance of evidence from his 9 games than he belongs at this level.

:thup:

My concern is that he is a confidence player.

He came in when everyone thought he was shite and no where near good enough and scored a hat trick. I don't think that makes him a confidence player.

No but after he scored that first he looked a different player.

He came in when everyone thought he was s**** and no where near good enough and scored a hat trick. I don't think that makes him a confidence player.

No but after he scored that first he looked a different player.

He barely played for us before then.

There's more than a gilmmer of hope, man. There's an abundance of evidence from his 9 games than he belongs at this level.

:thup:

My concern is that he is a confidence player.

Aren't most strikers?

Top PL goalscorers of 2011.

#1 Robin Van Persie

#2 Leon Best

:snod:

Besty's Banging 'Em In

By Dan King

Only Arsenal's Robin van Persie has scored more Barclays Premier League goals than Newcastle's Leon Best in the year 2011, and the Toon targetman is happy to be enjoying such a rich vein of form.

The Republic of Ireland international's header against Everton on Saturday was his sixth goal in nine top flight games since a stunning hat-trick against West Ham on January 5.

He also had a second-half effort controversially ruled out and believes that with more luck, he could be even closer to matching Van Persie's record of ten goals since the turn of the year.

"It's a funny game and I'm privileged to be behind someone like Van Persie, who has been in amazing form," Best admitted in another nufc.co.uk exclusive. "It gives me a lot of confidence and belief in myself to just carry on striking.

"I could have even more goals; I've had a goal that was perfectly alright disallowed against Arsenal, a penalty at Arsenal, an effort which was only stopped from going in by a great block from (David) Wheater against Bolton, and obviously my header against Everton disallowed for a supposed push, which was very clever play by (Phil) Jagielka.

"I said to him afterwards that I didn't touch him and he gave me the 'experience' shout! It was very, very good defending from him.

"So that could be nine goals, and I definitely should be on seven with the Arsenal one which was chalked off, but those things happen in football.

"I do feel like I'm getting chances in every game. Obviously, I'm in the Premiership and it's a matter of scoring with as few chances as I can and taking each chance that I can. That will come with experience and I'm working on my finishing every day in training, so hopefully I can continue scoring and taking my chances as they come."

It's a far cry from the last calender year - Best did not score a single league goal in 2010 following his February move from Coventry to St. James' Park. Injury played a part, while he was also denied by good goalkeeping and the woodwork, but Best believes confidence is the key.

"I think the hat-trick set me up nicely and gave me the confidence and the belief in myself that I needed," said the 24-year-old, who expects to be fit for Newcastle's game at Stoke despite picking up a knock to his calf against Everton.

"Last year, it was hard coming in. There were a lot of strikers in front of me and they were scoring, so maybe if I didn't take a chance straight away it would play on my mind a bit more than I would at the moment.

"Now I'm just very confident. I'm loving playing and I'm loving scoring at the minute - and I believe I can keep doing that."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110308/bestys-banging-em-in_2281670_2311132

Guest Chubby Jason

I like the guy, good attitude too with him taking the chance handed to him with both hands

Yep. Pretty handsome too.

Of all our strikers he clearly seems the most likely to put the ball in the net if given a chance.

Hope his goalscoring form continues as he seems like a likeable lad who just knuckles down and gets on with the job.