Leon Best

Godot

Guest BooBoo

For sale? FFS are we simply trying to move out as many players as possible this summer? He can't be on that much money, we have few striking options and are already planning on selling Ranger.

Daft decision.

Maybe it's a smoke screen, Andy Carroll WASN'T for sale. If we put our players up for sale, everyone will think they're shit and not want them.

Guest schmuck

This has to be something personal. Either that or he's on a bigger wage than anyone imagines, but I really can't see it.

6 in 9 and actually looking reliable on the ball is surely worth another chance in the squad, Lord knows Shola's 6 in 21 (2 pens) and all the rest of his usual bullshit will be.

Again, if we're replacing him with better, then why not? However, in the particular case of Leon Best, we would need to see the "better" striker arrive first before feeling alright about selling him. Best showed glimpses last season that he can be a real powerhouse in this league if he takes it seriously and works hard on his own fitness and sharpness.

To be honest though, I find it quite unbelievable that Best would be sold ahead of Ameobi or Lovenkrands. Non-starter imo.

Think it's a f***ing joke TBH.  We'll end up with Nolan, Barton, Enrique and Best all gone this summer.  All did well for us last season and would usually be in the starting XI when fit.  

I think he would have been good as a 3rd choice striker, solid squad player and is the best finisher of our current forwards.  Would get rid of the others before him, if he goes we now need 3 strikers IMO.

Looking like we're having a squad overhaul and not necessarily strengthening, losing too many of our starting line up is going to make us seriously disjointed and it could be a sloppy start to the season.  Are we having to sell players to raise funds for new ones?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Well this is a bit disappointing. Started to come into his own as the season went on, will see where it goes and how it goes - could have another better striker ready to come in?

Guest BooBoo

Club seems alien to the idea of squad building, which at this rate will be smaller than last season.

Lost count of the number of transfer windows that we've gambled our Premier League future for the sake of a few quid and we'll be doing that again if we continue to sell off the lads that have just kept us up.

I can understand it to an extent because we've made the mistake of buying from massive clubs like Bolton and Coventry. We can't afford to keep this lot on MEGA wages, it will cripple the club.

Lost count of the number of transfer windows that we've gambled our Premier League future for the sake of a few quid and we'll be doing that again if we continue to sell off the lads that have just kept us up.

I can understand it to an extent because we've made the mistake of buying from massive clubs like Bolton and Coventry. We can't afford to keep this lot on MEGA wages, it will cripple the club.

Wullie finally collapsed :lol:

I got shot down for saying the other week that we'd try to cash in on Best once another striker had joined.

On first glance his record last season was decent, that's enough of a signal to the club to make a quick profit.

Don't really understand this one at all. He fits perfectly into the mould of Williamson/Simpson/Gosling/Guthrie, who I'd be happy with as backup players in their favoured positions. More than likely on fairly modest wages and not anywhere near the front of the queue for those who should be "up for sale".

Surely there would be some takers for the likes of Lovenkrands ahead of him? Although I realise the money we'd get wouldn't match up.

More incoming moves in the pipeline than those we've been made aware of? Or just a definite switch to a lone striker formation?

I just wonder if there's more to it behind the scenes. Best hasn't got the greatest fitness record, and there was the photo of him with Ranger and Ireland in the club showing off their six packs. That said I think the story is probably bollocks unless we are bringing in more strikers.

Guest Stephen927

Much rather see Ranger/Lovenkrands/Ameobi/Xisco out of the door before him, strange if true. Can see us signing 1 other striker along with Ba, would leave us short with Ranger possibly being transferred too. Maybe Xisco is getting a crack of the whip.

Wullie finally collapsed :lol:

He's having the time of his life. Probably typed all that with a smug grin.

I can't see anyone paying £4m for Best anyway.

Me neither. I thought Birmingham were in the same kind of financial difficulty as us when we went down, and there was no way we were going to be forking out £4m.

IIRC Best scored at St Andrews. Brum don't have a Manager at the moment and someone in the boardroom may well be thinking that Best would be a good buy.

It looks like we've got Ba, Shola, Best and Ranger chasing what will probably be one space. We'd also need to be developing Phil Airey. Someone has to go and personally I wouldn't be surprised if it's Best.