Leon Best

Godot

Could see he was fucked near the end.  After about 65 minutes you could see Pards saying to him, "Leon, give me 10 minutes more" and signalled 10 with his hands before giving him a little motavational clap.

Could have released the ball earlier a few times, but worked his socks off and had a hand in all 3 goals, fair play Besty.

Very impressed with how well he holds the ball up.

Agreed, getting more and more impressed with him. Wins almost every header and holds the ball up well, needs to find a way to do something individually when he has the ball though gets to predictable that he'll pass it to Cabaye or Simpson or whoever, needs to try and turn the defender away and get a shot in at times.

Very impressed with how well he holds the ball up.

Agreed, getting more and more impressed with him. Wins almost every header and holds the ball up well, needs to find a way to do something individually when he has the ball though gets to predictable that he'll pass it to Cabaye or Simpson or whoever, needs to try and turn the defender away and get a shot in at times.

I think he is quite good at that normally, working a yard and then hitting it with either foot. But he didn't really have much opportunity to do that last night apart from maybe when he miss-hit it and set up Ba's 2nd. Was quite pleased he took on that long range effort, wasn't the worst hit and good to see he had the confidence to take it on.

And yeah like i and alot of others have said for awhile his hold up play and bringing others into play is excellent and perhaps one of the best parts of his game.

Guest palnese

He could have played a couple of through balls, but decided to keep it.

He has done that a few times this season. A bit annoying, but as long as we keep possession it's okey, I guess.

Like Ba he's not really got the legs/lungs to really go beyond 70 minutes for us. We defintely need one, or ideally two players to come on at that time so the game doesn't get condensed into our own half. Possibly why we're bringing Maiga in.

Guest Howaythetoon

I like him and I like his story in that he came from the Championship for next to nowt to a big club at a late age and is doing fantastically well. He's showing similar players lower down you can do well by working hard and taking your chance. Mind he's actually a decent footballer, holds it up well and has good tehnical ability. I like him and he's underrated in terms of what he gives to the team. He's a good foil for Ba as well. Does a lot of donkey work which often goes unnoticed. Needs a goal though because I feel he's a confidence type player who can lose his way if he's not scoring.

I like him and I like his story in that he came from the Championship for next to nowt to a big club at a late age and is doing fantastically well. He's showing similar players lower down you can do well by working hard and taking your chance. Mind he's actually a decent footballer, holds it up well and has good tehnical ability. I like him and he's underrated in terms of what he gives to the team. He's a good foil for Ba as well. Does a lot of donkey work which often goes unnoticed. Needs a goal though because I feel he's a confidence type player who can lose his way if he's not scoring.

Isn't he 24? I agree with what your saying but wouldn't call it a late age.

Guest Howaythetoon

Signed for us at 23. He's 25 now.

Wow, I thought he was nearing 30 or something. That's even better because he can only keep improving. Doesn't look 25 mind :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Dunno why I got the feeling he wanted to take the penalty last night, and was a bit miffed. Pardew seemed to console him while he was coming off. Anyone else? or just me?

I'll take that like, he wants to score a goal and the penalty award was for a foul on him and represented him with a chance to score. I'd be pissed off myself like. Convversely its also all good with Ba taking it as he's clearly goal hungry too. Love that in strikers. Shearer was absolutely ruthless. I remember when he basically man handled the ball off someone for his fifth (a pen) against Sheff Wed. I think it was his fifth anyway. Love owt like that as long as it doesn't hamper team spirit or friendships in the dressing room. Ba and Best both seem like down to earth quiet lads so I cannot see that happening, plus Pardew seems capable of difusing that kind of thing. Didn't he point out to Best the crowd singing his name as if to say they love you man.

Dunno why I got the feeling he wanted to take the penalty last night, and was a bit miffed. Pardew seemed to console him while he was coming off. Anyone else? or just me?

I'll take that like, he wants to score a goal and the penalty award was for a foul on him and represented him with a chance to score. I'd be p*ssed off myself like. Convversely its also all good with Ba taking it as he's clearly goal hungry too. Love that in strikers. Shearer was absolutely ruthless. I remember when he basically man handled the ball off someone for his fifth (a pen) against Sheff Wed. I think it was his fifth anyway. Love owt like that as long as it doesn't hamper team spirit or friendships in the dressing room. Ba and Best both seem like down to earth quiet lads so I cannot see that happening, plus Pardew seems capable of difusing that kind of thing. Didn't he point out to Best the crowd singing his name as if to say they love you man.

:thup: yup, wasn't shit stirring or anything, I agree that it's great to see. I do wonder tho if it's in the back of his mind that we're still looking to bring in a striker in January, and that HBA is still to be fully introduced into the starting lineup. The good thing is he sees that Pardew hesitates to drop performing players, but then again the longer he goes on without a goal, the more likely it might affect his confidence.

I sincerely hope he gets better and better, and starts scoring for fun. I do believe he is a lethal finisher, and has a decent football brain. Lovely fella by all accounts as well.

One thing Best will do is work hard and give 100%. He did that again yesterday (honestly don't see why Trappatoni doesn't pick him for the Irish squad, lazy my arse). His hold up play is brilliant too.

But like some have said, there were times yesterday when he should have released the ball earlier. Still, decent performance from Leon :thup:

I think Best was a bit unhappy about coming off before managing to get a goal for himself and Pardew was sort of telling him he'll get it in another game, just guessing though.

He didn't console him, he pointed him towards the fans who were singing his name.

He didn't console him, he pointed him towards the fans who were singing his name.

Pardew's man management really is superb, little things like that make all the difference.

Pardew's man management really is superb, little things like that make all the difference.

:thup: Fantastic thing to do if that's what it was.

I thought he came off as he was noticably more fucked than usual, probably due to him being ill.  As I said in another post, AP seemed to signal to Besty to 'give me ten more minutes, keep going' when he looked really fucked after chasing a ball down in the corner then giving away a free kick, think he lasted about 15 more after that, althought there was stoppages for the two penalties.

The stoke match was special in that case aswell. Best and Ba put in a tremendous effort defensively aswell as offensively. They were both down for all throw ins, free kicks and corners to add aerial power in our own box. They had to get all the way back up top and work against the biggest bullies in the league once again in attack. No wonder they were specially knackered at the 70 minute mark. Especially if he was ill from the start.

He's only 24 and was actually a youth team player at Southampton when they were in the PL.

EDIT :

As a young player, Best started his career at Notts County before being signed as a trainee by then Premier League club Southampton. He made his professional debut against Newcastle United on his 18th birthday in 2004