Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 05/03/11 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

I don't think you were "pathetic" or "awful" today at all. You had us pegged back for decent periods of the 2nd half and with a little bit of guile, i.e. Barton, it could so easily have been a different story. Equally, I'm bamboozled as to how we didn't get more than 2, we impressively managed the feat of having 4 or 5 goalscoring situations in 10 minutes and not looking like we were going to score in any of them.

I can understand why some would be frustrated on here with the tactics, yes, but I would certainly not call your performance "pathetic".

Lovenkrands 3 - And that is being generous. Fucking shit. What on earth was that attempt at a scissor kick shot, get your head on it you fucking idiot.

:mackems: :lol:

(You're spot on, mind)

I don't think you were "pathetic" or "awful" today at all. You had us pegged back for decent periods of the 2nd half and with a little bit of guile, i.e. Barton, it could so easily have been a different story. Equally, I'm bamboozled as to how we didn't get more than 2, we impressively managed the feat of having 4 or 5 goalscoring situations in 10 minutes and not looking like we were going to score in any of them.

I can understand why some would be frustrated on here with the tactics, yes, but I would certainly not call your performance "pathetic".

Fuck you!

x

Harper 8 - Outstanding today.

Taylor 5 - Meh

Coloccini 6 - A bit inconsistent at times.

Williamson 7 - Best of our defenders today.

Enrique 6 - Was doing ok before injury.

Simpson 6 - Did ok being shifted about a lot.

Nolan 6.5 - Got into some good attacking positions but we never turned them into anything.

Tiote 7 - Tireless.

Gutierrez 6.5 - Very good shift.

Lovenkrands 3 - And that is being generous. f***ing s***. What on earth was that attempt at a scissor kick shot, get your head on it you f***ing idiot.

Best 7 - Another decent performance from him.

Subs

Shola 6.5 - Hold up play gives us another option

Ferguson 6 - Did fine.

Kuqi 6

Desperately missing Barton and his delivery. Two weeks to recover for everyone I guess is good news. Hope Jose and Ranger's injuries are nothing serious. Jonas was just knackered I think. Would seriously drop Lovenkrands from the match squad altogether if Ranger is fit against Stoke, he's absolutely gash.

Bit generous with Sholas and Nolan they gave the ball away to easily.

Just one of those frustrating games where we never really got going IMO, hardly surprising considering the team we had out.

We know we can look one-paced and static at times, and that's how we looked today. The movement was very poor and Everton succeeded in limiting what we could do with the ball.

Couldn't pick out any really good or really bad performances from the game, everyone seemed to struggle to get into top gear.

I think Guthrie on the right wing would've worked better than Simpson.

Was surprised to see Loven there.

At least Best scored once again and the team wasn't that much worse than Everton.

Shit match allround.

And we're 6 points from relegation! Dangerous as fuck situation now.

Hope Barton, Enrique, Ireland are back at least for next match. We're lacking depth.

Shit result but defo an over reaction imo. Hopefully the two weeks before Stoke away will allow the likes of Barton, Enrique and Ireland to return. I think we can rule Ben Arfa out until a possible cameo appearance before the end of the season. Hoping that Shola starts with Best in place of Lovenkrands who is utter shite lets be honest.

Table hasn't changed that much, we're still in 9th and it's still very tight. Stoke have been playing shite, might not be a bad time to play them really.

Harper and Jonas were fantastic. Tiote was commanding but overworked.

Staylor and Loven... *sigh*... there are no words.

Ferguson looked really promising - didn't seem as tentative as you'd expect, but I guess with bodies dropping like flies around him there was no time to be meek.

Really fucking frustrating to get 1 point from those 6. Our squad is so thin though, what did we expect? [Answer: probably too much]. Very annoying to be so close but so very, very far.

Really polarised and disjointed performance, much like this post. No fluidity or rhythm, but there could hardly be with so many changes in formation and square pegs in round holes.

Overall feeling: really annoyed.

We paid the price for shoe horning a terrible defender into the team. Taylor has been the one consistent in many, many terrible defensive performances over the last 5 or 6 years. Should have simply put Ferguson on the left and Jonas on the right and kept some balance.

He's a complete phony imo. Ignoring today's performance because he might not be fit, even at his "best" he plays more like a sweeper than a centreback, i.e. drops deep and looks to mop up loose balls because it's easier to do than to actually go in for the tackle against a moderately talented player and win the ball. Which is why his primary form of defending involves throwing himself in the path of a shot, when for most centrebacks it's about intercepting the ball or getting a tackle in.

Should be a priority to move him on this summer. Probably better for his career too, as he has it too easy here so might actually have to focus and improve his game for once to get a start elsewhere.

We were very unlucky today. Despite the loss we played well throughout..

Unlucky?

We put them under heavy pressure a lot of times, created several clear chances.. Not that I'm advocating playing with two RBs at the same time but on another day the effort we put in today would've won us the game..

The performance was alright, the effort was there, but there personel and to a degree the teactics were fucking 'pathetic'.

All in all Everton deserved to win by more than 1 goal but while they were somehow still only 1 ahead we did well to make a game of it.

We paid the price for shoe horning a terrible defender into the team. Taylor has been the one consistent in many, many terrible defensive performances over the last 5 or 6 years. Should have simply put Ferguson on the left and Jonas on the right and kept some balance.

He's a complete phony imo. Ignoring today's performance because he might not be fit, even at his "best" he plays more like a sweeper than a centreback, i.e. drops deep and looks to mop up loose balls because it's easier to do than to actually go in for the tackle against a moderately talented player and win the ball. Which is why his primary form of defending involves throwing himself in the path of a shot, when for most centrebacks it's about intercepting the ball or getting a tackle in.

Should be a priority to move him on this summer. Probably better for his career too, as he has it too easy here so might actually have to focus and improve his game for once to get a start elsewhere.

Hasn't he just signed a massive new contract?

Top post.

I think Guthrie on the right wing would've worked better than Simpson.

Shit match allround.

And we're 6 points from relegation! Dangerous as fuck situation now.

c/o MA

just didnt have the quality to open a team up at home, which has been the story of our season unfortunately.

actually thought we were pretty lucky in this game, and totally agree with tmonkey - they could've chalked up 2 or 3 more goals had they been more clinical. they picked us apart on the counter attack at times and some excellent keeping from Harper who made himself big and stood up at the right times and dived in at their feet at others, kept us in the game single-handed.

the last two games were both winnable matches which could've been our springboard for europe. we've really ballsed that up now after only getting 1 point from the 6 available. i said we were safe after the brum match but now we're 6 points off 18th and that side in 18th, funnily enough, have 2 games in hand on us.  :kasper: still think we'll have enough but with some difficult matches left in our run in (stoke, man utd, liverpool, chelsea) we're now in a situation of looking over our shoulder instead of moving onwards and upwards.

In terms of onfield performances, Tiote was very good throughout, as usual. Tragic that as well as being the main engine of our midfield and our prime defensive asset he's now our foremost creative threat who takes most our set-pieces. really shows how short on creativity we can be at times. With Barton out it brings into sharp focus just how silly and short-sighted it was to loan out Routledge. Even if he wouldn't be adding much to end product - the sheer fact that he'd provide balance to our attacking play would be reason enough to start him.

Jonas was his usual self, imo, great ball running, and a few decent passes and crosses. again, not the most precise of players. Colo was decent, not much he could do when they frequently had all the space in the world to counter. need to see the goals again to see who was at fault though. Ferguson had some good touches coming forward when he came on, though his crossing from deep was cack.

On the downside, Taylor was very poor (though looked unfit), as was Lovenkrands. ideally both would leave the club in the summer. Best is a mediocre premiership striker who tries hard and will get a decent goals return, but we need to look for better in the summer.