Stoke City vs Newcastle United, Saturday 19th March, pre-match thread.

Anderson

Guest BooBoo

Not doom mongering but we'll lose this like

I would tend to agree although we do have in our favour that Stoke have had some piss poor results of late so they wont be going into the game brimful of confidence.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/07/pardew-rules-out-move-for-john-arne-riise-72703-28291592/

Pardew and his coaching team will embark on various different destinations across the continent this weekend, but while plans for next summer are well under way, the Toon manager is more concerned about the now – and making sure his talisman Joey Barton is fit for Stoke a week on Saturday.

“Joey actually trained Friday thinking that he’d be OK, but again didn’t feel quite right,” he said.

“I don’t think there’ll be a problem for Joey against Stoke, and I don’t think there’ll be a problem with Stephen Ireland.”

Ireland’s eagerly-anticipated United debut will certainly lift spirits in the Newcastle dressing room, and Pardew can’t wait to name him on the team-sheet.

He said: “Ireland trained Thursday, and looked like he was going to be OK, and then got the thigh injury which kept him out of training on Friday.

Jose Enrique has also pulled up with a suspected hamstring problem and faced medical tests today.

Pardew said: “We’ll wait and see with Jose.

“He’s a key player for us, and that injury affected us more than any other one.”

Newcastle were also without Nile Ranger, and Pardew added: “I just didn’t think we had enough of our quality players available, even Nile was missing.”

Sounds like Barton and Ireland will be fit for Stoke.

Please:

Harper

Simpson  Williamson  Coloccini  Ferguson

Barton    Nolan    Tiote    Jonas

Ameobi    Best

Subs:  Krul, Perch, Campbell, Ireland, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Kuqi

I don't even want Saylor in the squad.  I'd actually rather Perch cover RB than Saylor after that abject performance, and I'd rather Campbell cover CB.

we should attack them from the start not letting them have much of the ball, if we sit back too often and dont play our game we will loose. But i think we'll see a similar performance to the ones against Blackburn and Birmingham and win 2-1 with them scoring late on.

Please:

Harper

Simpson  Williamson  Coloccini  Ferguson

Barton     Nolan     Tiote     Jonas

Ameobi    Best

Subs:  Krul, Perch, Campbell, Ireland, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Kuqi

I don't even want Saylor in the squad.  I'd actually rather Perch cover RB than Saylor after that abject performance, and I'd rather Campbell cover CB.

Guessing you don't recall Campbell's last start at CB then.

Guest Nikos34

Maybe a good game to have Sol Campbell playing to counter the long balls?

:facepalm:

Please tell me that you're taking the piss?

Guest Nikos34

We can't possibly pick the team 2 weeks before the game but fingers crossed Barton and Enrique are available. It'll be a bonus if Ireland is fit but I wouldn't expect too much from him because he sounds like a complete arsehole to be honest, potentially a crackin' player like. Hopefully the penny is going to drop soon that Ranger is our most effective striker and just leave him in the side with Best for the rest of the season, he'll be handy defensively against Stoke too.

Stoke are shite, so this IS a WINNABLE game. Howay the lads!

Guest Nikos34

He has a point to be fair

The bloke is finished. He's just a stump now. Have we learnt nothing? Has-beens are the reason we went down. Williamson and Taylor can head the ball just as well anyway.

He has a point to be fair

The bloke is finished. He's just a stump now. Have we learnt nothing? Has-beens are the reason we went down. Williamson and Taylor can head the ball just as well anyway.

Neither of Taylor or Williamson possess the strengh of Campbell, he might be a lump, but so is half of the Stoke side. I'm not suggesting Williamson or Colo should be dropped for the game, but from a purely tactical point of view this is the kind of game where Sol actualy can be usefull.

The last time we played Stoke we lacked some cohesion and they got very lucky. During the second half, the players (especially our back four) became more and more disorganised. In response to Stoke gaining confidence and getting into this game CH took off Ben Arfa for Jonas, thinking that by adding fresh legs we could press on for a second... 5 minutes later Stoke scores from a set piece (after a long break in play Fuller was injured and took his time). Then CH takes off Tiote for Shola ~10 minutes later another set piece goal (an OG from Perch). Just going by our team sheets we should have murdered them last time, but there was no team in that game or any fluidity. That is what Stoke does - they try to stop play as often as possible with massive breaks in an effort to disrupt any sort of rhythm. Their practices must be like watching paint dry: set piece, pause, set piece, pause, long throw-in, pause, long throw-in, pause... etc. 

And let's take a moment to criticise our right side during that game. We had Routeledge giving no cover to a nervous Perch. Hopefully Stoke will be facing (a fit) Barton and Simpson which are a totally different prospect.

Wilicini should play better. They have now partnered most of the games this year. They just played sub-par and should have something to prove.

Finally I would say it is unlikely that Pardew would sub Tiote for a striker if we are tied up in the second half.

We are not a very good team, but we don't need to be great for this game, just capable. Stoke are poor and their luck against us has to run out.

Stoke 0 - NUFC 2